Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., now I know there are a few members here who aren't native English speakers, but having perused this board for a while, I've noticed a lot of BAD grammar from people who are most likely native English speakers. So I think it's time for a little grammatical brush-up:

There -- a location, as in, "That Burgman over there."
Their -- shows possession, as in, "That's their Burgman."
They're -- contraction of "They are", as in, "They're taking a road trip on the Burgman."

Your -- shows possession, as in, "Is that your Burgman?"
You're -- contraction of "you are", as in "You're taking a road trip on the Burgman?"

Thank you for your support. :wink:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drat. I done been snookered. :D

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Frugality, don't you just hate it when people luz the o in loose, and can't tell the difference between loose and lose anyway. :lol:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I hate is when you Canucks add extra U's to words -- like colour, honour, flavour... :roll:
:D

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
We didn't add them, the British did :lol:

Waiting for my Burgmaun. :wink:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
lilleyen said:

Waiting for my Burgmaun. :wink:
I think that should be Buurgmaun, eh? :)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lilleyen said:
Well, WE were smart enough to kick 'em out and start doing things our own way. :wink: (like getting rid of unnecessary vowels) Unlike the Loyalists up there in Ontario. Last fall I drove up the Canadian side of the St. Lawrence and followed the Loyalists Highway. I wish I'd had more time to stop and learn about the history of that area. Maybe I'll have to re-run that trip when I get a Burgman...

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Now this here is the first thread I've seen that belongs in the Jester's Court so it could die gracefully in 60 days. :lol:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not to name names, but it was a certain forum member *cough, cough* who was a frequent violator of these grammatical rules who prompted me to start this thread. Funny you should want it to die....gracefully or otherwise.... :wink:

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Yall, glad to no we all dont have problums like that, but can usly can figur out what them ungramaticals are saying in there posts, so no big deel! Neal

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Now children, play nicely or all of your Burgys will be chained to the nearest large concrete building!

·
Registered
240 Posts
frugality said:
lilleyen said:
Well, WE were smart enough to kick 'em out and start doing things our own way. :wink: (like getting rid of unnecessary vowels)
In some parts of the US, (say, SOUTHERN states, wherever they are), you put TARS on the car, pompom girls are CHAIRleaders who sit on CHEERS.

In the south, as the legend goes, we are so relaxed that we do add a few vowels just to kill time. Loooord haaaave Merrrrceeey, y'aall aaare raaaaiding scouuuuuters?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Grammar

I don't pretend to be an expert on grammar or the English language however it does irritate me as well. (I personally have a problem with punctuation.) I can forgive misspellings in posts...not everyone is a great typist...I work with some of the worst spellers in the country. :( I've had to rise above it or be driven nuts! :lol:

As far as dialects go...lots of people talk "funny". They pawk the caarrr in Boston. Some people worsh their hands...

We are a melting pot. I've been able to understand the "language" everywhere I've gone in the states with the exception of a few places. I tend to have Attention Deficit Disorder when people speak very slowly! :D

·
Registered
794 Posts
Thank's for starting this thread

Sign's that pluralize thing's with an apostrophe s just drive me bonker's.

Regard's

Dan

·
Registered
806 Posts
This has been widely available on the Internet for over 10 years, but it still brings a chuckle to me:

Ode To a Spell Checker

Eye halve a spelling checker
It came with my pee sea
It plainly marcs four my review
Miss steaks eye can Knot Sea.
Eye strikes a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye is wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can putt the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.
Eye has run this poem threw it
I am shore yore pleased too no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh -
My checker tolled me sew!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
lifegetter said:
frugality said:
lilleyen said:
Well, WE were smart enough to kick 'em out and start doing things our own way. :wink: (like getting rid of unnecessary vowels)
In some parts of the US, (say, SOUTHERN states, wherever they are), you put TARS on the car, pompom girls are CHAIRleaders who sit on CHEERS.

In the south, as the legend goes, we are so relaxed that we do add a few vowels just to kill time. Loooord haaaave Merrrrceeey, y'aall aaare raaaaiding scouuuuuters?
I'm not sure about the other Southerners here, but I put TAGS on Cars and scooters. I reckon most other folks put their LICENSE PLATES on their Ve-Hicles (I hate even writing that word - :lol: ).

And as long as we're on the subject and to set the record straight, we know that the long green thing that connects to outside faucets for watering the Yard is a Garden Hose... But we still prefer to call it a hose pipe. :shock:

I have others, if you're interested.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts