Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of some 12 volt , as in hooked into the 650’s electrical system . One question I have will the 650 handle gloves , insoles , the jacket and pants all at the same time ? Another question is , are the gloves flexible enough to easily handle the controls . I would really like to hear any actual experiences , good bad or indifferent . Any do or don't stuff ? Any installation problems ? Regrets , wish I would have ? Best brand name ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Use my Gerbing heated gloves and suit all the time. I wouldn't ride cold without it. You will have no problems with heated clothing. The newer Gerbing heated ware has a wire mesh rather than wires. Gerbing will keep you tosty warm.
respectfully,
David Miller

·
Registered
10 Posts
I believe the generator output is around 500 watts. That should be more than enough to run all of your heated gear, especially if you use a digital pulse dual Heat Troller. It doesn't use resistors to "waste" excess current when you want less heat. Use one knob on the controller for your jacket liner and gloves and the other for your pants/insoles. I've used Warm n Safe for about 10 years now and they are excellent. I also have an older Gerbings Union overpant and G2 gloves that are still working well too.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
You could also but a Milwaukee heated jacket with built-in battery

I bought one after someone recommended it here.

That and heated grips makes 45 minute trips down to 4 deg Celsius a pleasure.

They make an adapter cable to 12V outlets, but it's to expensive for my taste and needs

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a powerlet RapidFIRE set of heated jacket liner and glove liners. I love them, jacket plugs into the 650 and the gloves into the jacket sleeves. There is a dual wireless controller I Velcro to the handlebar cover, so the gloves and jacket can be set at different temps. I ran a cord from the battery out the seat so it sits in the grove for the service cover when not in use and the jacket just plugs in between my legs when in use.
Usually have the jacket set to about 1/2 and the gloves just under that. Although this December it did drop to -5 one day and I had the jacket at just over 3/4 and the gloves just over 1/2.
I have very well insulated pants from Tourmaster so I never felt the need for heated pants or boots for that matter, the 650 does a good job of keeping my feet and legs sheltered.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've got quite few miles on my Gerbing heated jacket liner, pants liner and socks. This is my 5th winter using them. I'd rate them an A+. I've never needed to run them anywhere close to full power in some pretty cold weather. Burgman 650 seems to have more than enough alternator capacity.

I thought the Gerbing heated insoles were useless and returned them. Heated socks worked much better. Wasn't just me. Lots of complaints with the Gerbing heated insoles. That was back in 2010. Maybe the insoles are better now.

I've had Gerbing and Warm & Safe heated gloves. For me, heated gloves have been a mixed bag. Always warm and toasty, but too bulky. Also, if your hands get wet, the liners in the gloves tend to pull out. My latest evolution is a set of Gerbing heated glove liners. I wear them under a pair of waterproof leather Olympia winter gloves, but only as a last resort. First step is Olympia gloves, then Thermalite liners with the Olympia gloves. Because of the bulkiness, last resort is heated liners under the Olympia gloves.

I've had really good luck with both the Gerbing portable dual controller and the Warm & Safe dual remote control.

My experience is to buy direct from Gerbing or Warm & Safe. Both have an unconditional return policy if you buy direct (with a time limit). I've always gotten excellent service from both on returns.

The Warm & Safe liners are built (fabric wise) quite a bit differently than the Gerbing ones. Most people seem to prefer one over the other, but it seems like a 50/50 split.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I use the Milwaukee jacket but I don't recommend it very highly. :confused:
The jacket is very good quality and it works well for it's intended use which is to allow you to WORK comfortably in colder conditions. However on a bike you are not expending any energy to stay warm and since the jacket only has heating pads on the upper chest and shoulder areas your lower back/kidneys remain cold. Compound this with the weird swirl patterns of air behind some windscreens (I have a 400 with a Givi AF266) which cause air to come up from behind so your lower back can become quite cold while your shoulders and chest feel quite toasty. Some experts also claim that you don't want your upper chest to become too hot since it overheats the blood in your heart and that is not healthy for you. I have used my Milwaukee on the bike down to as low as -4 but it really is not the greatest when it gets below 40. Sometimes when it gets colder I use a heated kidney belt from the drugstore that is just a large version of the chemical hand warmers and you can buy a special belt that has pockets for using those chemical hand warmers in it. If you can afford a proper motorcycle vest or jacket do it, if you already have a Milwaukee jacket it will work but it just is not as warm.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
There is actually an unused connector in the underseat area, which I guess is for the optional heated seat. The wire colors are Red/Blue (Power through fuse 3 [Fuel] and Black/White (Ground).

Fuse 3 FUEL is always powered, it's the same that feeds the trunk light.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I've got quite few miles on my Gerbing heated jacket liner, pants liner and socks. This is my 5th winter using them. I'd rate them an A+. I've never needed to run them anywhere close to full power in some pretty cold weather. Burgman 650 seems to have more than enough alternator capacity.

I thought the Gerbing heated insoles were useless and returned them. Heated socks worked much better. Wasn't just me. Lots of complaints with the Gerbing heated insoles. That was back in 2010. Maybe the insoles are better now.

I've had Gerbing and Warm & Safe heated gloves. For me, heated gloves have been a mixed bag. Always warm and toasty, but too bulky.

I've had really good luck with both the Gerbing portable dual controller.
+1

The insoles work ok but the problem I've had with them is they are made to trim off the toe section for smaller shoes which leaves the toe section without heat in my size 14 shoes. They should be fine for someone with smaller shoes who will need to trim the unheated toe section to fit.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I use the Tourmaster Synergy jacket liner and gloves. They each come with power connectors, and they jacket liner comes with a dual controller. I ran the power lead straight to the battery and out from under the front of the seat. I keep it tightly capped when not used. (It IS fused). As an added bonus doing it this way, since both items came with wiring and you only need one, I spliced the other end onto my battery tender and can charge the battery through the heated apparel connector. If you are concerned about electrical load, you can change out your light bulbs for led's and regain the unused wattage for heat!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've been using heated jacket, pants, gloves & insoles on my '06 650 without problems since it was new. I've bought all from the local Harley dealer except for the insoles they came from Gerbing. I had one set of gloves stop heating which Gerbing replaced without question. I believe Gerbing makes all the Harley heated clothing.The clothing comes with all the necessary wiring to hook it up directly to the battery. Couldn't be more pleased with the above although it was expensive. Mark

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Gerbing coat and pants liners, gloves and socks. They worked well enough for a day-long trip in mid-30s (F) temps. That was when I lived in Utah; haven't felt the need to use them since I moved back to Los Angeles. If I get really bored sometime I may get around to hard-mounting the flat panel dual controller unit, but it's not a priority at the moment.

Didn't really test whether they were over-drawing the electrical system at idle, but I don't think they were.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Yes, heated gear is awesome. I used it on my burgman 400. Gloves and Jacket. I used the plug in the glovebox.

·
Registered
39 Posts
One other thing...

... to keep in mind with heated gear.

With heated gear, the idea is you don't need as much insulation/bulk when riding than without heat (obvious, right). Not an issue around town, but if you're traveling and will be out in the boonies, you might want to carry an extra layer to put on in case you have a breakdown. If you breakdown and have no power, you have no heat. If you end up waiting for a while with no power, no extra insulation, and in really cold temps, it might not be such a great experience.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had my Gerbings Jacket liner and gloves for several years . They are one of the best things I have ever bought for the bike. One important thing when buying a jacket liner is to get one that is a little snug as you will get more heat to your body core. I ordered my over the internet and it is a little too loose fitting.

Dan

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I have had my Gerbings Jacket liner and gloves for several years . They are one of the best things I have ever bought for the bike. One important thing when buying a jacket liner is to get one that is a little snug as you will get more heat to your body core. I ordered my over the internet and it is a little too loose fitting.

Dan
Had an issue with that myself. There are two ways to fix that. One is to stuff padding under the chest area of your outer coat. (Advantage: adds insulation where you need it. Disadvantage: Looks like you're a power lifter or overdid a breast augmentation...) The other is to get an elastic belt or ace bandage and wrap it around your chest, outside the heated liner and just under your arms. This could probably be improved on by sewing an elastic cinch-strap (belt with a snap or velcro to connect behind the zipper) into the inside of the liner.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Please remember to be careful when sewing electric gear. You don't want to damage the wiring inside!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Tourmaster Synergy heated vest and gloves here. Each comes with its own wiring and controller; the vest is sort of a hub if you have other items. Gloves>vest<pants. The battery lead is fused. The load doesn't seem to affect the battery or charging system, though I haven't done rigorous testing.

The gloves are a bit bulky, but you get used to it, and the Burgman isn't a piano. Besides the near-useless highbeam trigger and brake levers, all the other controls are thumb actuated. Managing the wires and plugging in is a nuisance, though it does mean the ride is more enjoyable (or possible). Can't vouch for the crash-worthiness of the gloves and in a way, I don't want to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts