Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Anyone here have good luck using fuel additives? I have used Chevron Techron Concentrate and Pro Gard Fuel Injector as preventative maintenance. Claims to clean valve carbon deposits and fuel injectors. I used it when I had some rough idling and it cured the problem so I do believe in it.

On Amazon.com, Chevron techron has over 200 reviews and has a 4.5/5 star review. I've read the reviews on the stories and believe in it but obviously some people do not

Here in Seattle where I live, Arco is the cheapest but reportedly the worst gas. The guys that O'Reilly auto parts told me to stay away from Arco gas and instead use Chevron, Shell, or 76. Arco gasoline does not contain much additives at all and Chevron or Shell are still the Top Tier gas I would stick with.

My question is, have you guys had any noticeable benefits with fuel additives and top-tier gasoline vs no fuel additives and crap gas like Arco? Would you say it does indeed help, or is it just a marketing scam?

While The benefits may be minimal to moderate, it still works in my opinion

P.S. Anyone have any experience with Lubegard products? They have a product claimed to reduce engine oil temperatures and another product to reduce coolant temperatures. I have not used it, but I will try it the next oil change and see if I see any difference on the temperature gauge.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I've always thought of fuel additives for a plain vanilla street engine to be pretty much snake oil. Perhaps I'm just lucky but I've never had what I would consider a fuel related issue (other than fuel pumps after 150-200K miles) in any car or bike I've owned. If I was storing the bike I might consider something like Stabil but, since my gas in my tank for an average of 2.5 days (maybe 3 days on a long weekend), I've never had that issue either.

As for temps, if you have a properly operating thermostat, I don't imagine you will see any detectible change in the temp gauge. Some lubricants might make a difference in peak temps seem in hot spots in the engine, but these won't show up on your gauge. The radiator on these scoots has a pretty big range of heat removal, I haven't seen any difference between the gauge readings at 60 mph on the highway in 30 degree F ambient and idling in traffic at a stop light with 95 degree F ambient temps.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Agreed on the temp thing. I've ridden in 35 to 115 degree ambient temp. I've run my engines about as hard as I could at times. I never changed the coolant for seven years. Not once has the temperature gauge moved from normal. The system works well. Don't waste your money.

As far as gas... I think its mostly snake oil too. I've never noticed any difference between brands or even octanes for that matter. HOWEVER, for the few pennies per tank it costs, my buddies and I LOOK or plan for Chevrons on our rides. If for no other reason than they seem to have decent bathrooms, for the most part. We'll go to others, of course, but Chevron is the go to.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I've never seen any reason to use gasoline additives on a regular bases.

I also don't see any benefit to running the so called "top-teir" brand name gasolines.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, true that Chevron does have the cleanest bathrooms :)

My Tank Commander (I'm in the military) who is extremely mechanically oriented also told me he doesent believe in fuel additives. The only thing he uses is StaBil when storing his ATV's.

I don't believe Techron is a gimmick though

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I've been riding/driving for over 50 years and have never found a need for an additive. Never had a problem.

I buy gas based on price and convenience regardless of brand. I do try to buy gas from places that sell a lot so I don't get stale gas. If you are old enough and recall, back in the "good old days" the gas tankers had large letters on the side saying Esso, Texaco, etc. They no longer do that because the unmarked tankers deliver gas to many different branded stations. You might find a truck delivering gas to a Exxon station and later find the same truck delivering gas to a generic branded station.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Even when the trucks had Brand Names on the side they were probably still all getting their gas from the same terminals. That has been standard practice for a long time. Trucks use a common terminal to fill their tankers then when the gas is delivered to a particular station the additive package for that brand is mixed in with the gas pumped into the stations storage tanks.

My opinion is that the different additive packages have much more to do with marketing than with actual quality.

·
Administrator
18,749 Posts
Kxj, If you go to ARCO's web page, you will find that they are a "Top Tier" gas too. That said, I have run it in most of my vehicles over the years with no problems. I only quit when they added a surcharge to my cash or debt card to buy their gas. Now all the corporate stores have dropped that surcharge from Cash and Debt cards but the independent stores can still charge what they want.

On additives, IMHO, snake oils do have some benefit but not worth the time. I would not add anything to the engine oil of a Burgman 650 unless it is safe for wet clutches. I may add 8 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil from time to time on an oil change but that has been proven over the years to be safe.

I also give a shot of Lucas fuel injector cleaner every 10,000 miles or so to the gas.

As far as the military, Thanks. (Sparkie jab at a turtle) I always loved it when the tankers did flat spins on our telephone cables. :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
That's interesting about the trucks, it had completely slipped my mind and it makes perfect sense. I used to like the rolling billboards though...bright chrome tank with the big bold letters. In Canukistan I generally stick with Shell on account of their air miles program but for anything high performance I use Chevron because of their 94 octane Ethanol free high test. As for additives I use Stabil stabilizer every year and have used Sea Foam or Stabil fuel system cleaner and have had about 50/50 success with either one of them.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting replies! You guys are making me want to go back to O'Reilly's and return the Techron I bought on sale lol!

So, I guess the fact of the matter is, fuel additives DO work, but minimally and are not absolutely necessary.

@ Dave J, no problem. I had to join to get money for college. It makes me MAD THAT THEY HAVE CUT MY BENEFITS! I'm hoping to reclass into 35P (Intelligence Analyst) and going Officer after getting my degree because its hard work being in a combat-arms job. I'm very fluent in Chinese Mandarin and could translate for the Army. Less likely to get killed too. Thanks for your service as well, Staff Sergeant!

·
Administrator
18,749 Posts
Yeah, some additives are just kerosene and fragrance. But Techron is a detergent that helps clean. But the old "If some is good then more is better" does not work here.

Thread drift.

When I joined the US ARMY in 1973, I was promised a lot of things. Most of the benefits have been torn away over the years. But I am glad I have TriCare standard to supplement my crappy medical from my job.

In my 20+ years, I was always in Combat Support but most forget that we were on the front lines giving communication support too. Hard to order beans and bullets with no phone support. ;)

We had just spent 4 long days running cables from one compound to another when the tanks drove all over our cables. The tank commander and crew were out there with us for two days rerunning said cables. :0

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Shell V-Max 91 octane have no ethanol, use that when available, in USA difficult find no ethanol gas, about every 3000-4000 mile put in some Lucas injector cleaner.

Use Sta-Bil for long term storage of small engine lawn & garden equipment and bike when put away for season November/December.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm a believer in Techron every 5-10K miles but I have no personal evidence with its effectiveness. I do have experience with varnishing (solids build up) in the throttle body and fuel injectors. Between that and a little water accumulating in gas tanks (almost impossible to avoid 100%) I am a believer in "some" fuel conditioning ever x,xxx miles.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
But Techron is a detergent that helps clean. But the old "If some is good then more is better" does not work here
I have a friend that had an independent gas station and he also had a tanker where he delivered gas to several other stations. Many of his customers were older men and widows that did not drive much (he had his employees pump gas for all women and old men). He said he put all of the detergent in his gas that regulations allowed. I suspect many of the other gas suppliers do the same thing.

I have driven 50+ years without using conditioners and I have not had any problems. How much money would I have wasted it I had used a conditioner like many others do?

·
Registered
704 Posts
No fuel additives, but I do stay away from BP gas. Not because of anything with the bike but in my truck while towing around here BP gas gives me the poorest power on hills. Sometimes a gear difference. Figure if it makes that much difference on the truck it will probably make a difference in the scoot too. Haven't used it in the scoot so I can't prove it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Here in Australia i tend to run ether 95 or 98 octane from any one except shell they have a 98 octane call shell opt-max which has been known to coke up the plugs on low compression bikes .I never run 92 unleaded in any thing i own its to low grade for my vehicles

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I strongly dislike the person at my local Arco AM PM gas station. Although 3 cents cheaper than 76 and 6 cents cheaper than Chevron, I hate dealing with him because he is rude

·
Registered
735 Posts
I did a bunch of online research and decided to try Gumout REGANE fuel system cleaner. My 650 always ran beautifully so I really didn't notice any improvement. However, I did notice an improvement on my girlfriend's 400. It was a very-low-mileage 2006 model she bought last fall, which means that it sat around in someone's garage and the gasoline probably deteriorated and gummed the injector.

In WA state we have many stations that sell pure gasoline, without that despicable government-ethanol added. My 650 gets the best fuel economy running on pure gasoline ("regular" grade) when the refineries produce "summer blend." Best I've seen is 52mpg on a 200-mile trip at sub-freeway speeds. At freeway speeds running government-gasohol winter blend, I was averaging 44mpg. It was obvious that the refineries made the switch to summer blend a few weeks ago, during my 2,200-mile trip to CA and back my freeway mpg suddenly jumped from 44 to 48mpg overnight.

I have a theory that the 650's engine is de-tuned to run on regular grade. It's a high-compression engine, 11.2:1, so it should require premium grade. So a "benefit" of de-tuning is that it's not very picky about gasoline quality and seems to run beautifully on anything I put in it. So I don't run the pure gasoline that often now, it isn't worth the additional expense in my opinion. I'd happily pay the extra $ for premium if I could re-map the ECM to get the performance and efficiency that a high-compression engine can/should deliver.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I run the cheapest gas I can find same thing with my vehicles. I run the cheapest diesel I can find. Now my sons Victory MC does need a higher octane gas or it will ping in the summer when he gets one it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts