Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a trip to the mountains of Virginia in a month. Amongst many friends I plan to meet up with, I might take one with me for a ride of about 4-6 hours on one day.

My only concern is: She is only 5 feet (153 cm) tall. She thinks her inseam is around 28 inches (71 cm). Can she comfortably ride on the back of a 650?

She is very experienced as a passenger, but certainly has not been on 650. Will her feet reach the floorboards?

Since this is a one time event of just several hours, please do not suggest buying floorboard modifications. I'm looking to see if it is feasible without modifications.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Might I suggest...

View attachment 23801

At five foot and a woman, she's got to have some platform shoes.

And to answer any suggestion that I'm being presumptuous and sexist, go to any shoe store... one isle of men's shoes, 25 isles of women's shoes. The law of supply and demand doesn't lie, women buy more shoes than men. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm planning a trip to the mountains of Virginia in a month. Amongst many friends I plan to meet up with, I might take one with me for a ride of about 4-6 hours on one day.

My only concern is: She is only 5 feet (153 cm) tall. She thinks her inseam is around 28 inches (71 cm). Can she comfortably ride on the back of a 650?

She is very experienced as a passenger, but certainly has not been on 650. Will her feet reach the floorboards?

Since this is a one time event of just several hours, please do not suggest buying floorboard modifications. I'm looking to see if it is feasible without modifications.
My wife is 4' 10" and she thinks the Burgman is a much more comfortable seat than my previous bikes, but she hasn't ridden on there for that many hours. Her feet just touch the front, higher part of the step and I'm pretty sure her inseam isn't 28"...maybe 26 or 27" My inseam is only 30" and I set on there with knees bent some with no shoes, so if her inseam is 28", she should be fine with shoes.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, she had planned on wearing heeled boots.

Thanks Jim on those measurements, that gives me some confidence.

The poor thing is going to have to stare at the back my helmet/jacket, however.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Of course she can, you just need a passenger backrest or topbox to keep her from sliding off the back and a child can ride behind.

·
Registered
704 Posts
My wife says a rider on the back of a 650 with an inseam of 28 inches can ride very comfortably. She is 5'6" and has risen with me lots altho I do have the VIP top box with the wrap around backrest.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here in South Australia a child can't ride on a bike until he/she is 1) aged 8 or over and 2) both feet are able to reach the footpegs. My grandson can just reach both toes to the passenger footboards on the 650, making him in effect an illegal passenger. The biggest problem I've had with pillioning short women is the complaint that the seat is so wide that it stresses the thigh muscles

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Colchicine, no one has suggested this but I have to ask the obvious. Couldn't you give her a test ride before your planned trip ? You did say you have a month before your trip.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The poor thing is going to have to stare at the back my helmet/jacket, however.
Duck tape an iPod on to the back of your helmet... Personal in-flight entertainment system!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The biggest problem I've had with pillioning short women is the complaint that the seat is so wide that it stresses the thigh muscles
You date the wrong kind of women. Lol. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
My wife is 5 ft. nothing and she rides comfortably on the back of our 650 with her feet firmly and comfortably on the floorboards. I don't think you'll have any issues with her being comfortable whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Colchicine, no one has suggested this but I have to ask the obvious. Couldn't you give her a test ride before your planned trip ? You did say you have a month before your trip.
That's because I omitted something obvious. We live on opposite sides of the state. There won't be an opportunity for a test run. Regardless, if it doesn't work out, we turn around and go get coffee.

Thanks Dflowe & Just Me!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
She should be fine. My wife is barely 5ft and she has no problems. The first Burgman 650 came with a corbin seat and she could not touch the floor boards. When I swapped it out, she was fine. I bet her inseam is about 26in...

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
The biggest problem I've had with pillioning short women is the complaint that the seat is so wide that it stresses the thigh muscles
I just Googled the Kama Sutra, and sure enough, there is a small-print disclaimer on the Pillion Position page. :D

pillioning short women - this phase is going to have a long life.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I just Googled the Kama Sutra, and sure enough, there is a small-print disclaimer on the Pillion Position page. :D

pillioning short women - this phase is going to have a long life.

lol

·
Registered
297 Posts
In Indiana, a passenger has to be able to reach both footpegs with his/her feet. My grandkids can't wait!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts