Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the calibrated torque wrench (and it's always calibrated) shears a bolt right off? On a bolt with as little access as possible--say the upper right fork pinch bolt. You know, so the fairings block anything bigger than a ratchet wrench. I get to pull either the upper triple, or the whole front fairing and roll the dice with an extractor. Of course, extractors have a worse track record than bolts around here. Bah! Needed to let off steam. :(

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Been there done that. It sucks, I really feel your pain. I also suspect that there are several of us who have done this in our lives. My first time was me shearing a bolt on the block on a Ford engine. Last was a bolt on the rear of my V-Strom that sheared as I was removing it. Finally had to just drill that one out and put a Helicoil in. Of course it was a blind threaded hole. My theory is that the harder it is to deal with a bolt, the more likely it is to have galled threads or just break off.

Doug

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fortunately, I was tightening this one up after another front suspension tweak. No galling, or in the case of that fender bolt, ADHESIVE. It shouldn't be too hard to get out once I get access to it. Also, it's not a blind hole. Better invest in some better fasteners, though these ones look like wonky Suzuki metric ones--with an odd, coarse thread. :eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts