·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
300 Posts
scooter design

Great read. The question is who will be first w/ the next mega scoooter.
I'm partial to the Honda X-Wing or Griffon.
I guess I will be saving now for the down payment. Until then, I keep racking up the miles on the Burgman

·
Registered
96 Posts
Story I hear

Is that Piaggio wants to get further in the U.S. game and figures to do so by playing the 'one up' game with Suzuki and Honda. They presently don't have a twin or anything other than a standard CVT in the market.

It could backfire though as the Atlantic and Scarabeo are selling well now, certainly not what Suzuki and Honda are selling but they are holding their own. I think one of the reasons they sell is the value for the price. If you want more than a 250cc the big Aprilia's match up well against the Burgman 400 and Yamaha Majesty by feature and price.

I guess what I'm suggesting is that the Silverwing and Burgman 650 are in a league of their own and Piaggio may want to try and compete in that market.

Over in one of the Aprilia forums we've got a guy who is on his second Ironbutt ride as I write this. The 460cc Piaggio Leader can tow the line as evidenced by his successes on these rides but I have to think my dealer is right in that they are envious of the scooters with twins and fancy transmissions.

As an Aprilia owner and fan it will be fun to see what move they make. This fall they will have Scarabeo 500s here with ABS to match up with Honda on that front.

Competition is good.

Mybug

ps. I still can't find any Burgman riders in KC on this forum. I see them in town occasionally and would like to connect up but can't safely make a U Turn and run them down. Anybody here in Kansas City ? If so speak up !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Check out the new scooter!!

Hello all!! I saw the post and couldn't help but click on the link.
Good news : that sure is a pretty lil' scoot!
Bad news: unless piaggio has changed their mind from then til' now, they aren't planning on bringing that scoot to the American shores anytime soon!! That just purely SUCKS!!!!!!!
About a year or two ago I was tooling around on the net (although the sentiment regarding scooters in the American market has changed since gas prices have sky-rocketed) I happened upon the Gilera website which first of all was mostly in Italian (until you clicked on the link for the UK), and lo and behold there was the prettiest scoot my eyes had landed on to date. I was soooo happy that I had found a scooter which looked sleek and resembled a motorcycle ( see the Gilera DNA and the Gilera Nexus). I wanted either one more than anything. I searched frantically to no avail for a dealer this side of the pond. I did however find a gentleman who travels to Europe frequently. He offered to import the bike for me in parts.
I thought about that one for a minute and answered with a big resounding no as all I could imagine was winding up in some dungeon of a jail with an impounded bike. I asked about importing one legally and here's the answer on that are you ready???: $$$$$$$$$$$$$ (and lot's more of those dollar signs where they came from) Then once you get it over here there are problems with emissions standards and various other regulations as most of the cycles abroad are 2 stroke as opposed to 4 stroke. In anger I wrote an email to the Piaggio/Gilera company and asked them why they wouldn't send those bikes over here. their reply was : there simply isn't a market for selling them in the USA.
Bottom line: If you guys are getting tired of the same old retro vespas and you feel like a sport style bike in addition to our quite sexy Burgmans I suggest you not be silent any longer. Let your opinions be heard by Piaggio. Maybe just maybe they'll finally get off their old tired, rusty duff and create something different for this market.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi,

I don't know if your name is Ron or not but you would be another B owner in the Atlanta area. We might even be able to form a group of Burgie owners. Anyway I agree with you that the Italian scoot is sexy, however until the Italians can prove to me that they are just as reliable as the Japanese, you can kiss my batootey before I would ever by an Italian scooter again :!:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Evelyn

Just wanted to say hello and let you know that I saw your post. I'm not Ron. I go by the screen names of either Av8rgal or Lexx. My name is actually Synthia. I live here in Georgia just south of Atlanta. Right now, sadly I am just a long time admirer and will be owner of a fantastic Burgy (as in hopefully soon I'll finally be the owner of a new Burgy) But until then I keep on my unending quest to own one (as soon as the finances clear up that is!) Wish me luck!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts