Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks and decided what the heck...I will sign on!!!

I am not a scooter owner as of yet...but should I purchase one it WILL be a Burgman. The problem I see in my area right now...there are NONE...NOTA...NOTHING!!! But I am not in a hurry to purchase either.

I have a friend who rides a Big Dog Chopper who has peeked my interest into the scooter end of bikes. I am interested in the Scooter for numerous reasons...mainly my 05 Tahoe Z71 is robbing me blind with gas costs...read my profile...I am a high school teacher and I DON'T make loads of dough!!! I live 1.5 miles from my school and thought a scooter would be the answer to my gas pains for the time being. I figure if I just drove it to work and home I would get by on 2 fill ups per year!!! I would definitely take it out the more I get comfortable with it...see I have never riden a 2 wheeler except the kind that has "TREK" written on it. The thought of going 60+ MPH does make me nervous...but hey...no one says you have to take it on the freeway to enjoy it!!!

I have contacted my local community college about the MSF class. The enquiry was due to my local Suzuki salesman said that taking the MSF course would do me NO good since I was riding a scooter and not a motorcycle. I have yet to hear back from the gentleman regarding my questions relating to participating in the class with a scooter. We'll see if I get an answer.

I have certainly enjoyed this forum and I hope that you kind folks can help a TRUE NOOB to this fascinating new mode of transportation.

Gordon

PS If anyone has some suggestions where I might be able to find a good quality used (or new) 400 or 650 in my area or within a reasonable distance I would be most appreciative! My local shop sold out of their 30 this past weekend and all orders now are sold prior to delivery. I have a problem buying something sight unseen and riden as well!!!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Welcome to BurgmanUSA. As is often the case, your salesman gave you very bad advice. You definitely DO want to take the MSF course. You will learn a lot that applies to riding BOTH motorcycles and scooters. I highly recommend that you just take it without making a big to do about buying a scooter. The only parts that don't apply have to do with the clutch & shifting, but it won't hurt you to learn that - and you get to make your mistakes on their motorcycle rather than on your shiny new (or slightly used) scooter.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Gordon,

Welcome to BurgmanUSA :wave:

You SHOULD take the MSF course. I took the class before getting my AN400. I had never ridden before. It is a very good course, and will make you more comfortable with riding.

I'm sure that after you get your Burgman your commute to school will increase...it's just so much fun to ride, you'll have to ride the long way home :D

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Welcome! :D
Even having had a motorcycle before i took the MSF course and you will not only learn a lot and feel more comfortable but it could very well save your life or someone else's by taking it. It will also help turn the nervousness into happiness. I do not believe even one person here (or even elsewhere) has expressed any regrets at taking the MSF course (quite the contrary!). It will not necessarily teach you how to ride but it will teach you how to teach yourself how to ride, safely and fun.
You know that freedom of having open air around you while riding a bicycle? Much the same feeling on a bike. Ride safe and have FUN! :)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Check with your local DMV about the MSC, they'll point you to the state certified course that will get you your motorcycle endorsement for your driver's license on completion. No test at the DMV required.

Welcome!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Gordon Parr said:
...my local Suzuki salesman said that taking the MSF course would do me NO good since I was riding a scooter and not a motorcycle...
Whaaaaat?????? Your "salesman" doesn't know very much about scooters or he wants to talk you out of the Burgman (because he doesn't HAVE any) and would rather sell you a motorcycle to secure his commission :x One thing is for sure...you can get hurt just as bad, or worse killed, on a scooter as on a motorcycle. The MSF teaches you how to prepare for and handle the risks involved any time you strap on 2 wheels. I have owned 5 other motorcycles (the last one being a 1300 cc sport touring bike) before getting the Burgman. The difference I see is that you don't have to shift and you don't have to throw your leg over the tank. Other than that, you still need to learn all other skills involved in motorcycling. Take the class, enjoy learning to ride, wear the appropriate protective gear, and have a great time. Your gonna' LOVE commuting on a Burgman! Pretty soon you'll be posting that you transferred to a school in another city just to clock some extra miles!

Motorcycling opens a wonderful world of friendships and adventures, not to mention that it provides an outlet for all your expendable income and expands your Christmas wish list (a.k.a. ACCESSORIES!!!)

Welcome to burgmanUSA! Check the classifieds on this board for used 400s and 650s.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome.

Silly sales person. No doughnut, comission or whatever for him. I echo the voice of others. "Take the course". UR right, U don't have to get on the freeway to enjoy the Burgman. My ride is six miles on off freeway routes to the office and I enjoy the freedom of pulling out of the parking garage after work into the fresh air and open sky. Perhaps the subject line should have read "Freedom from my cube". Anyway, welcome.

Henry

- PS eBay is an interesting place to watch burgman sales.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Gordon you have recieved good advice from the previous posts and theres no need to mention it again. So with that all I have to say is welcome to the forum and good luck with your search to a new ride. :wave:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Welcome, Gordon! Lots of great advice above. I'm a noob too. Bought 6/11 and now have 4300 miles. LOVE IT! You are a little far from me but there are folks in the southern VA area on this forum. Good luck finding a scoot! Suggest you use the Suzuki dealer locator on the web site and start searching while the weather is terrific!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, Gordon and welcome. I just got my B400S and I love it.
I teach, too, so I know what you mean about no $$$, but I'm
saving enough on gas to pay the payments!!

It's been 20 years since I rode but I'm still going to take the riding
course just to help me get my riding wheels back. Trust me, you'll
feel better for having taken it.

Good luck on finding your own two wheels.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys,

Thanks for taking you time out to reply to me!!! Wow...what a great forum!!!

I have and will listen to you and take the MSF course!!! That said I will head to local community college and get some info on it. I emailed the instructor 3 days ago and still haven't heard a thing from him. Maybe he only checks it when he teaches the class (Fri., Sat. and Sun.)

Any way...I do appreciate everyone's comments and it is an exciting time beginning the look for the new (or used) Burgman.

Gordon

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good for you Gordon. You'll be a better, safer, and enlightened rider by taking proper instruction. You've got a great adventure ahead.

·
Registered
103 Posts
This one's in GLOUCESTER, VA.
2003 SUZUKI, Burgman 650cc, metallic blue, 5000 mi, wife needs trike, Excellent scooter style that runs hiway speeds, Huge storage under seat, 2spd trans, Great ride & handling, $5200, 804-693-2539

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
welcome to the group.
Love your signature line. I grew up everday reading a big list of Murphy's Law on the wall.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool!!!! Gloucester is only 30 mins. max from where I live!!!

Man...if I got something this quick, it is sure going to be hard to let it sit until my class in Nov. Maybe I could at least ride around the neighborhood.

Gordon

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Always remember that O'Toole's corollary to Murphy's Law dictates that Murphy was a freakin' optomist!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Gordon,

Welcome to the Forum and good luck on your purchase. I know you'll enjoy all of the riding experiences. I have.

Joe

·
Registered
157 Posts
I know it's a haul, Gordon, but was just in Cycles USA in Silver Spring Md and they just got a new 2005 Blue 650 to fill allotment on sport bike order. They also have a new 2005 Silver 400 that I think has been on the floor for 3+ months. If interested, PM me for additional info.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Gordon,
Welcome to the Wonderful Welcoming World Wide World of Burgmans!!
I also gave up the 4 wheels to start riding yet again. About 7 to 8 miles to work, but unlike you I don't drive an SUV but rather a 6 cyl Honda but it was only getting 22 or 23 mpg. Still getting used to 65+ mpg on my 400 Burgman! Still have gas in the Accord purchased in EARLY August!! 8)

Welcome, I'm sure that you will have your new "ride" in no time and the time between fill ups in the "Cage" will be few and far between, but you will still have it for those time when you need to haul lumber or like things!! :D

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
larrycainjr said:
I know it's a haul, Gordon, but was just in Cycles USA in Silver Spring Md and they just got a new Blue 650 to fill allotment on sport bike order. They also have a new Silver 04 that I think has boon on the floor for 3+ months. If interested, PM me for additional info.
Larry, what year is the 650?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts