Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! My name is Morris and I live in York, PA. My wife and I also have a small place near Dewey Beach, DE. I got my first motorcycle, a Suzuki JR 50, when I was 6 years old and have been riding ever since. I moved thru various bikes along the way, including a Honda 75, Kawasaki KX80 and Yamaha YZ125. Once I turned 16 I got my first street bike, a Ninja 250. Progressing from there to a Buell Blast, a Buell Ulysses XB12X a Yamaha Vino 50, a Yamaha Vino 125, a Buell Ulysses XB12XT and a Kymco Grandvista 250.

In riding the Buells I had dreams of riding in an Iron Butt Rally, but then Harley, having owned a 51% stake in Buell, shut them down. After that I was so bitter that I sold all three Buells (I had them all at the same time) and kept both Vino's until I found something else and was looking into a BMW dual sport.

However, in riding the Vino 125 (my wife currently rides the 50) I really liked the lightweight feel of the bike, the quietness of the motor and the automatic CVT. In a word I was "hooked" on scooting. I then bought the Kymco, a 2009 model, and loved the further flexibility it gave me...two up riding, ability to legitimately ride on highways and convenience of huge under seat storage with 12v accessory charger.

I realized I no longer wanted the BMW, at least not at the moment, and instead wanted more scooter. In doing my research the ultimate scooter seemed to be the Burgman 400. We could take trips with it, had even greater storage ability, better ergonomics and comfort, better braking, etc. So, I bought a 2007. I wanted a newer model for the styling of the head and tail lights, dual front disc brakes and true 400cc engine along with fuel injection.

So, I now have the two Vino's, the Kymco and the Burgman. Yeah, I've got scooter fever pretty bad :eek:)

I ride all over PA, MD and Delaware. I'm very interested in finding a group of riders to go on rides with or extended trips. I'd like to do an Iron Butt ride (probably a Saddle Sore, 1,000 miles in 24 hours). I'm a college professor so I am off over the summer and have the time to go and ride.

So, if anyone rides in PA and want to ride please let me know. I'm always up for it and have cold weather gear!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome from Rehoboth Beach. I live on Coastal Hwy. and ride a 2011 650 Exec. The Eastern Shore Scooter Crew is a local scooter club, fifd us on the web and join if you like

Bill

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
I also ride in DE. I'm from Ocean View in the Summer, East Berlin PA. in the Fall and Florida in the winter. I also belong to the Eastern Shore Scooter Crew, I ride a Burgman 650. I'm getting ready for the parade in York on Friday night for White Rose Thunder. Look for me in front riding a white Szuki Burgman Halfabusa.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bearcat, will do! My brother works for Harley and he and two of my other brothers have Harleys so I'm usually the odd man out! Of course, they don't mind being seen with me, they're not the pretentious type that won't even talk to you unless you're a "true" biker (i.e. riding something loud and obnoxious). In fact, one of my brother's has Cobra pipes on his bike from a previous owner and he hates them. He loves to ride one of my scooters because they are so quiet and relaxing. It's like I say to them all the time, if you want to go on a long trip or simply a relaxing drive then take an automatic car. If you want to cruise around town shouting to everyone to look at you and relive your childhood then take the six speed Corvette, do some obligatory burnouts (seriously, we're getting old and you'd think they'd outgrow that!) and rev the engine. Same with a bike. If I want to simply cruise and be lost in my own thoughts I take the scooter. If not, I borrow one of their bikes, which is almost never!

I will look for you on Friday though! I intend to try to score an Airhawk 2 at a good price from Laugerman's HD. With the sale price and my brother's 30% HD discount I should find what I'm looking for!

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
That's kinda my story. My daughter rides a Yamaha and her husband rides a Harley, all my other rider friends from the York County area ride Harley's. Last week they were all down in De and we all attended the Delmarva Bike Week, they all realize the Burgman can do it all, especially in the twisties.

Brad

AKA: bearcat

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brad, did you make it in to Bike Night? I didn't make the parade, but was in town. Tomorrow we're headed to the fairgrounds!

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Black51,
Yes I was there and saw another Burgman, don't know if it was a 650 or 400, saw it from a distance. don't know how many bikes sere there but there were a bunch. I'm headed to DE today to pull my boat.

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
Welcome to BUSA from the Heart of America-Kansas City! Bearcat is the mascot of Northwest Missouri State University. JC

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Hey Morris! Welcome to the site.

I like the story and the fact that the HD are made in the USA. I take what I read in Snopes with a grain of salt. Your story sound far better.

Question has any one asked who the guy in your avatar is yet?

I missed the flounder fishing drifting across the bay at Indian River. One of the best fish I ate was a flounder I caught and fried an hour later. Finger licking good.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Chet! No sir, no one yet. I'm a huge fan of Deadliest Catch and Sig Hanson. I've seen him, along with the Hillstrand brothers, at the Lyric in Baltimore. I got some great pictures of them. I also saw Sig by himself when he was in York at the Pullo Center. Afterwards they told us that he'd be back at his hotel and would sign autographs if anyone was interested. So, we headed to Heritage Hills and his hotel and met him. He's exactly the same as on TV. And very short. I'm only 5' 8" and I was taller than him. Who knew? :eek:)

We are headed down to Indian River this weekend for a long weekend. We have a boat and some jetskis and I'm sure we'll be out on the water, either anchored at a sandbar relaxing, or getting a line wet, trying to catch flounder, but probably hooking a horseshoe crab, sea robin, sand shark or skate (the flounder seem few and far between).

I will have to post some pictures in the gallery if I'm allowed. I've not read the guidelines yet. I'm an amateur photographer and shoot a lot of sports, architecture and nature. I have some nice shots of the beach, birds, sunsets, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
The Gallery is no more other than what is there now. Photos can be attached using one of the forums and a proper size and title. The best size to post is about 1200 x 750 pixels.

A shame about the fishing. When I was young and fished on the Chesapeake Bay we would buy a dozen blood worms and take along a 5 gallon lard can, fill the can with croakers and spot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts