Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to do over 1000 mile ride when bringing the 400 home from FL. to TX. (1016 or so, actually).
It was (well) recommended adding some additional cushion to the seat for that long a ride. I'm looking at 16 hours + stops.
I went ahead and ordered the sheepskin (large) silver pad from alaskaleather and they should be shipping it directly.
My individual situation is unique that I will not have time to do a seat conversion or whatever before coming home. Also, I'm digging pretty deep just swinging the deal so I don;t have a lot to toss around.
I decided on the sheepskin because I believe I will get a lot of use out of it in the future as well as this ride.

Ok, now for my question...
For those of youwho may have tried this I'd like to hear the pros (and cons) for JUST using the sheepskin OR buying the hunter pad (WalMart) and using BOTH (airpad under sheepskin - or vica-versa?).
Would it be over-kill? Too soft/cushy? Better? Just right? What do YOU think?
NOTE: The bike ALREADY is equipped with a http://www.io.com/~jungle/RV/ (Jac Vinson back rest).
Thanks for your time adding your opinion!

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Time is the only answer I could give. You may not need either, but you won't really know untill you have a few miles on it.

Never trying the sheepskin I would do both. The air pad is small when deflated, and easy to store if you only need it ocassionaly. Plus you can adjust it to you needs.

You may also have them (the dealer) remove the butt stop screws, in case you want to try riding without it. You can store that under the seat.

Sorry I can't answer more.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds reasonable. I'm buying it from a private party (not a dealer) and it has an aftermarket backrest on it already.
I suppose I could buy it and bring it and use it if necessary. Just thought someone here might have tried both before (or a similar combination)?

Oh, forgot to mention I am 6'2" and just over 200 pounds, 32 in-seam.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I have the Wal*** air mat. it helps a little But it slips and slides never stays put. :(
I am convinced it is the seat shape that gives the most trouble, But that's me.
There are a lot of members who love the seat as is. I would bring the skin, if you need more after a couple of hours there are plenty of Wal*** around, or just get some foam --In fact I have even used large bubble wrap.
To bad your short on funds, Corbin is in Florida. :)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'm not physically shaped anything like you, but I discovered that a Burgman seat caused me increasingly intense tailbone pain after about 45 minutes (this on a 400). The longer I rode, the worse it got until it became totally unbearable. _Nothing_ solved it; I tried a variety of pads up to and including the Airhawk that supposedly fixes almost anything (and to be fair, it helped far more than anything else I tried). Only a total seat replacement finally allowed me to ride long distances.

Just a warning-- You might want to have a backup plan in place in case things don't work out. I'd also suggest maybe trying to borrow an Airhawk, if you've any riding friends.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have used the airhawk for 4000 plus miles and it is wonderful. If it is inflated properly you can rock your scooter back and forth while riding and get a massage :lol:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I drove/rode between Sarasota, FL and Houston many times last year, and you will need to watch out for rain. It is nice and cool now, but the temperature change could become a bit of a problem. Drink lots of liquid, and keep arms and legs away from the sun...get sun tan on the beach, but on on the bike!

The most brutal part of the ride will be (1) entering New Orleans, and (2) from Iowa, LA (mile post 40?) to about 10 miles into Texas. The roads are rough and you could feel the cracks on the road big time. I always let some air out and turn the shock to the softest level.

Speed traps...Mississippi stretch of I-10, around milepost 860 in TX (just got one in my last trip!). The Flying J at milepost 873 (TX) is a good place to gas up, walk around, relax, and take showers. :wink:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Randy said:
...To bad your short on funds, Corbin is in Florida. :)
Well knock me over with a feather. :?

I always thought Corbin was in Hollister, California (the factory/headquarters is), but sure enough -- they have a showroom in Daytona Beach, Florida, too.

Both coasts are served; now they need something in the center. :p

·
Registered
240 Posts
Selias said:
I suppose I could buy it and bring it and use it if necessary. Just thought someone here might have tried both before (or a similar combination)?
Sheepskin alone was not sufficient for me (AN650). However, for whatever you may need, you may pick them up from a million Walmarts that are near the freeways. You may also use that opportunity to walk around.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. Guess I'll end up stopping at a WalMart enroute.
Good info to know, thanks Pete!
Since I am locked into time (already bought non-refundable airfare, committed my word to purchasing the scooter at this time and allotted vacation days already) there's no turning back! For good or bad I will be a Burgman owner next week! :D
EDIT: Also paid my $165 for my safety course this weekend.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Selias said:
...For good or bad I will be a Burgman owner next week! :D
Congratulations! With spring unfolding and summer just around the corner your timing is perfect.

Selias said:
...Also paid my $165 for my safety course this weekend.
That's money very wisely spent.

In the Seattle area the MSF Basic RiderCourse is $100 for the state subsidized classes (which fill up rapidly and have to be booked well in advance) and $250 for the non-subsidized classes.

I'll probably take the BRC and the Experienced RiderCourse this summer, because I'd like to become a RiderCoach. Taking a Friday evening off from work is the only issue; I'll have to use a vacation day or a floating holiday.

Last but not least; I have 9,600+ miles on my 650, including a 3,000+ miles round trip to the Mexican border last summer when I did several 500 - 600 mile days. I have only the stock seat. I took the butt stop off for a while, but put it back on because I found that by rocking back against it I could take the pressure of the underside of my butt from time to time on long rides to promote circulation.

Every body is different, so what works for one may not work for all of course. I think on your tight schedule and tight budget going with the sheepskin and an air/foam pad is a good idea because it will give you flexibility at minimum cost. You can experiment with one or the other, or both, or neither as your needs require.

Good luck on your ride, and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm using 2" visco-elastic memory foam, that I got at an upholstery shop. A 14" x 14" square will exactly cover the seat, and will run about $20 or so. Here's the trick I've found to foam... if you have a single flat piece, it'll compress and you're no better off than you were. So, I actually got a 24" x 24" piece and cut off the extra, and I stitched the extra down the center of the seat in a 3" wide strip (approximately), on the underside of the pad. The extra padding in the center allows the weight to be distributed along your thighs instead of centered in the points on your pelvis. It all still compresses some, but the extra strip keeps the center higher, which makes a molded saddle effect for each leg. With a sheepskin cover over it all, I bet you'd be feeling really, really comfy. I actually use the butt stop to hold the pad in place. Slide the stop all the way forward to make a little room between it and the seat, feed about an inch or so under the edge of it, then slide the stop all the way back, moving the foam with it. It'll grab hold and keep the whole thing in place. Whatever you choose, GOOD LUCK!!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Selias said:
For those of youwho may have tried this I'd like to hear the pros (and cons) for JUST using the sheepskin OR buying the hunter pad (WalMart) and using BOTH (airpad under sheepskin
What is the "hunter pad" from WalMart? What department would I look in to see one?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Ken OBSC said:
What is the "hunter pad" from WalMart? What department would I look in to see one?
It's a pad designed to use as a seat/cushion when out in the field. A luittle extra padding/insulation between the hunter and the ground. Also known as a "stadium seat."

Check sporting goods.

HTH.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Problem with the 'hunter pad' (at least at MY WalMart...
They stock them for hunting season.. Hunting season is over.
But I am pondering and intrigued over hrdillender's concepual idea and (being the anal-ytical type) am considering going that route. My take on it (and please correct me if you think I am wrong here!) is the major pressure points affected are pelvic & tailbone? What if (along with the 3" strip down the center) another underlayer (say 7" wide) were added across the backside of the underneath of the foam? If looking down from above and through the 14x14" pad imagine a Tee with a thick/fat cross-bar.
So, a 24x24 piece, cut 3" and 7" strips to leave 14x24 (cut of 10" off the long ways to make 14"x14" and you still have surplus to play with?
Would this not provide more countering to the pain described by riders (as well as offset the cross-bar discomfort others have mentioned)?
3M Adhesive it together, dry, cover with sheepskin and voila?
I imagine other BETTER designs are possible and I LIKE the idea. Unfortunately I am not so into backsides to be any sort of authority on the subject so I'd prolly pattern some padded chair (which is a much different shape) but I am thinking maybe doing hrdillender's design and bringing along that additional 7x10 (should be big enough) and can always line the glovebox or trunk with it if I don't need it.
Now I need to find an upholstery shop! LOL

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, makes sense. Was looking at your seat mods also. I'm thinking I might just rough it and customize later. Local upholstery guy doesn't carry the foam here in my little town where I work. I might stop by a place or two down in Beaumont but doubt I'll have much time to do that this weekend with safety course being like 9 hours/day. Sounds like my tee was upside down?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ya, the problem (at least for me) is the angle of the stock seat, as well as the pressure points in the pelvis / tailbone area. The stock seat is angled ever so slightly forward, which puts all the weight on the rear. Putting the extra support primarily under the thighs, up to just in front of the tailbone, changes the angle of everything so the weight is held in the legs. What you want is for the legs to have more padding than the butt, so that the larger pelvic bones can be "cradled". The 2" pad on the butt is enough for me if the legs get extra support. In addition, you don't want too much pad under the butt cuz it will lift you right into the windstream coming over the windscreen, making your neck sore after awhile and affecting your aerodynamics.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts