Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning Burgers, I need tire recommendations. It's been a few years since I bought tires (sold old bike, new bike tires were good). I'm leaning towards the Battlax but I'm seriously undecided. I know people like the Shinko's but I had one bad experience and have ruled them out (it was probably an isolated bad tire).

And yes, before you roll your eyes, I did do a search and the most recent thread is a few years old.

· Premium Member
9,677 Posts
lotsa variables to consider. are you an aggressive rider? do you ride in/get caught in rain? are you looking for best mileage or best something else? do you have any extra refreshing beverages? is cost a big factor? Are you mounting them yourself? what is on now? is this back, front. both? Do you have something shiney for swmbo when she sees the reciept? is appearance a consideration? what type road surface will you be on the majority of the time? have you considered darksiding? Give us some hints so we can make up some li,,, uh do some fact finding

· Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Daaayyyuuummmm, my apologies for not being thorough (j/k). So here we go.

Not super aggressive but not above cutting the corners when I get a chance.
Rain? Not if I can help it. I'd rather layover in a hotel room than ride extensively in the rain.
Looking for best mileage, I hate buying new tires (but I'm not darksiding, power to those that do, but not me)
Refreshing beverage: Yes, please
Cost is not a big factor but I don't want to pay more than needed.
Not mounting myself, could do it but I just don't want to.
Currently running stock and replacing both. I got a steal on a very low mileage 2016. They have some life but hell, they're at least 6 years old and could be 7 or even 8. The age concerns me.
I've bought my wife enough shiny stuff, plus I always use "don't you want me to be safe when I'm riding" argument. It works every time.
Appearance: Performance over appearance
Road surfaces: Mostly back highways, I will run the interstate when I have to. No dirt or gravel.

I've done some research and I'm leaning towards the Bridgestone Battlax or the Michelin City Grip 2's. But I haven't run either so I wouldn't mind some opinions. Plus, I don't want to rule out other tires if there's something better. I know a lot of folks like the Shinko's but the time I tried them, the rear shredded on me under 4,000 miles. Not again.

I hope this helps, my fingers are cramping from all this typing. I think I'll go find a refreshing beverage.

Reactions: mikeyMarine

· Premium Member
772 Posts
I debated myself about responding...you know, tire/oil opinions, Bla Bla Bla, everyone has an opinion. The tires I use in the link provided below; I do recommend them. Read the entire link and do your own research, they are wonderful radial, dual compound with an amazing ride. Enough said. I paid $238 for the pair delivered to my door. ANY new tire feels great after riding on old or worn-out shoes.

All I can say is you will not be disappointed. I buy from AMT (American Moto Tire)

New Tires

· Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Well, here's a snapshot of prices today. I've decided to go with the Bridgestone's and I ordered from J&P Cycles. They were the cheapest that had them in stock. Just for comparison, I got quotes from the two dealers in the area. I thought $275 was a high for just mounting and balancing tires. I'm going to call around and see if I can find someone in the Fort Worth TX area to mount them.

Font Material property Pattern Parallel Number

· Premium Member
9,677 Posts
for that price, you can buy all the necessary tools and a good portion of the necessary frereshin beberages

Reactions: Dave_J

· Premium Member
772 Posts
Nice chart and effort. I can't believe those prices. AMT $238 delivered. My dealer charges flat rate to mount/balance $40 bucks' fronts and $60 bucks' rear. Today's price, I can't believe there is that much difference.
So, I recently paid $238.00 Bridgestone SC2/Rain Dual compound (pair)
$100.00 Mounting/balancing + install my 90° valve stems
$7.00 tax
$345.00 Total, tires, mounting/balancing, new valve stems.

I thought that was robbery. Maybe you can find a small independent shop with straight forward pricing, or even a scooter shop. Lots of scooter clubs have area mechanics that may be more reasonable for tire mounting. Cycle gear was about $25 bucks and $30 bucks for carry in last I used a year ago.

· Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up getting the SC2 Rains from J&P Cycle $247 and they ended up getting here in 3 days. I called 4 different shops in the area, one wouldn't return my call, two wouldn't touch a Burgman and the fourth charged $80 per tire but they were backlogged 2 weeks. So, I ended up going to a dealer and ended up paying $320 (I also had them install a new valve stem). Between bad knees, bad shoulder, and getting old, I really don't want to start working on bikes again at my age but dang, it cost about 10% of the value of the scoot in new tires.

• Wow
Reactions: SemBurg
1 - 10 of 10 Posts