Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the world's fastest 500cc scooter stack up against the Suzuki Burgman 400 and 650?

If the TMax530 becomes available in the USA next year would you buy one over a 400 or 650? How much would you be willing to pay for the Tmax 530? $11,000? $10,000?

I must say the Tmax530 is one wickedly fast scooter with 15" wheels.

Please post your opinion on the Tmax 530 and how it stacks up against the 400 and 650 from Suzuki.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tmax vs the Burgman 650:

PRO:

1. Handles Better
2. Cooler looking
3. Lighter
4. Better Exhaust (nicer sound)
5. Bigger Tires
6. Faster in the City

Con:

1. Same price as the '14 Burgman 650 (maybe even a few dollars more)
2. Worse MPG at Highway speeds
3. Higher Maint Costs (I'm guessing here)
4. Less Stability at 85 MPH
5. Less Storage Capacity
6. Lower Resale Value
7. Unknown Long term reliability
8. Harsher Ride

So, at the current price ($10,000-$11,000 US Dollars) I'd still buy a Burgman 650 or even a BMW 650GT over a Yamaha Tmax 530. The TMax would need to be around $8500 to get me to pony up the dough.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'd love to see the TMax as a 750cc or 850 cc Scooter. I really would like those 15" tires on a Burgman 650 along with exhaust.

Based on our current market I don't think the TMax530 would sell well (or at all) over $9,000 US Dollars. That said, I'd love to own one for under $7500!

I can't understand why scooters are so expensive compared to motorcycles. Based on the new Honda CTX700 DCT the Yamaha Tmax should be priced under $9K or even less.

·
Administrator
18,734 Posts
WOW, 9 posts. :D

If I were needing a replacement and the price is right I may look at the T-Max. But I am not in the market yet. I am looking at a Honda CTX700 DCT.

Maybe this T-Max will kick Suzuki's LAZYA$$ out of bed. Suzuki is asleep at the wheel.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey Burgmanmaniac: STOP AND TAKE A BREATH!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I like the look of the Tmax and the when I test rode a 2009 500, I loved how it handled. But, even at a deeply discounted price (listed for $6K) I could not justify the extra cost over a used low mileage Burgman 400 ($3.2K). Anyways, despite being redone in 2012, the Tmax 530 is still behind the Burgy 650 as it does not get better mpg, has less storage, does not have an adjustable windscreen, and based on the Yamaha rep I talked to it would be selling for over $10K in the USA, if it was brought over, so the dealers don't want it as the know it'll not sell.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I would buy either of the Burgmans over the TMax or the BMW because:

The reliability of the Burgmans are known and the issues are known.

Aftermarket parts and accessories are far more widely available.

OEM parts are more readily available since they have been on the market for a long time (per the BMW forum, there is an owner of a BMW 650 that has been waiting for a part to get him back on the road for months)

The knowledge base on repairs is better for the Burgmans.

I don't know anything about the TMax but the required service is more expensive and more extensive on the BMW (it calls for replacement of both the CVT belt and oil enclosed chain).

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
what on Earth burgmans and tmaxes -- dude wants a motorcycle, like almost everyone in his 20-ies. One can't skip the age, it only seems that you would have driven b400 when yr young. Actually when young you have different feelings you don't experience when becoming older. You just remember that you wanted a fast bike, but you can't tell why. Same as you can't tell why want a scooter when your 20.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
If you're on the market for a rubber-band CVT equipped sports scooter without any luggage capacity, the T-Max fits the bill. I saw loads of them at the French Riviera and hardly any Burgmans other than 125's
I don't know if it's just because the riders love the sound of their after-market exhausts, or if the CVT can't find the correct ratio at steady throttle, but it was like they were always using the throttle as an ON-OFF switch, BRAA-oohhh-BRAA-ooohhh

·
Registered
230 Posts
As an owner of both the tmax and burgman 650 I find the tmax lighter ,the burgman is faster ,they both handle as well as each other (I can scrape both through the same corner at the same speed ,I do it at least 3 times a week).Carrying capacity is no contest the burgman wins, comfort .....well the burgman wins that on any thing longer than 500ksfunny thing though is ,the tmax is easier to push around with the engine running than the burgman,my wife tends to ride the tmax as she prefers it just for its lightness,if I am just going around town the tmax is it as soon as I think of going country its the burgman for me

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As an owner of both the tmax and burgman 650 I find the tmax lighter ,the burgman is faster ,they both handle as well as each other (I can scrape both through the same corner at the same speed ,I do it at least 3 times a week).Carrying capacity is no contest the burgman wins, comfort .....well the burgman wins that on any thing longer than 500ksfunny thing though is ,the tmax is easier to push around with the engine running than the burgman,my wife tends to ride the tmax as she prefers it just for its lightness,if I am just going around town the tmax is it as soon as I think of going country its the burgman for me

The new Tmax 530 is even quicker than your version and probably handles better as well.

It's unfortunate the Tmax is priced so high as that means we won't be seeing it in the USA.

That said, a T-max 650 or Tmax 850 would be close to an ideal scooter/motorcycle for me provided Yamaha kept the weight down.

Maybe, Aprilla will release the 850 for sale in the USA or Suzuki will release an 850?

I'd even settle for a Burgman 500 which goes head to head with the TMax in all categories.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'd even settle for a Burgman 500 which goes head to head with the TMax in all categories.
Don't hold your breath for a b500. Suzuki has set up their US offerings quite deliberately at 200, 400 & 650. It's a perfect upgrade path as there's enough power distinction between them to keep current owners interested in the next model up.

Heck, I'd say Suzuki is more likely to come out with a b900 or b1k. Why not? They have a superior transmission to anything on the market, just beef it up a bit. It would expand the line, beat Aprilla, start a whole new scooter size war and start nipping at those Goldwing sales. I bet there are a lot of older GW owners out there tired of pushing around a 1200 pound bike, but unwilling to ride less than a 1k bike.

Plus, once you get above 450cc, thumpers aren't practicle for street bikes. Suzuki would have to put in a completely new, two cylinder engine in order to compete effectively against the Tmax, a bike that doesn't sell well. Doesn't make economic sense for them. But...

Maybe there's a little room for a b400 upgrade; a bored out 425 perhaps. Keep the line fresh like when they added a few CCs in '07. Could happen.:cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a friend that has the Tmax 500 and over the past 18 months we have compared about everything. He rides a sport bike in track events and likes the Tmax for its sound (he put aftermarket exhaust on it) and the light feel. He gets less gas mileage and doesn't have the big glovebox or under seat storage of the B400. The bottom line is, we have different needs and our bikes suit what we want from a scooter.
I don't need more speed, no place I ride has a speed limit above 75 and most is lower. I rode a Zuma125 for about the same period of time and I've put almost 2000 more miles on the B400 because of its highway ability.
I don't have an opinion on the reliability of the Tmax, he has had no problems that I know of. I do know the B400 is as good as it gets for a solid, reliable bike.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
We've had all the T-max bikes over here in urop since they came out. They are good. But you have to remember the T-max is aimed at a completely different market to the Burgmans. It's more sporty for one thing and just doesn't have the comfort or weather protection of the Burgmans, unless you kit it out with better seat, screen etc. On a long ride it gets uncomfortable for many. There's no where to put your long haul stuff. It's very expensive to run, both in terms of fuel and servicing compared to the B400, and not too much different to the B650. I'm talking shop prices. The cost of the T-max is the killer if bought new. It's even more to buy than a B650 over here.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts