Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5,363 Posts
Randy said:
I Like the twin shock rear Suspension, But that's not enough to give up my Burgman for. :)
I don't like that the twin shocks are absolutely vertical. I prefer them canted slightly forward, like the AN650, and every motorcycle I've ever owned with twin shocks. I suppose it works - the visual message I get though is "pogo stick".

· Registered
5,363 Posts
I roamed the showroom today while my rear tire was being replaced. A new blue Yamaha Majesty 400 was sitting next to the Burgmans. I took a few minutes to look it over. Here are my impressions.

- The parking brake lever on the handlebar is brilliant! Much easier to use than the pull up lever under the dash on my AN650.

- The mirrors are way sleeker looking than those "parts bin" ones on the AN400. They seemed to adjust smoothly too.

- The ignition key trunk release works much nicer than the Burgman. Just turn the key one click to the left of "Off". No need to push and twist. I like the Yamaha approach better, plus it doesn't require a 6" key!

- Analog dial instrumentation. Yes, the AN400 has that too. I've never liked the fancy digital dash on the AN650 - it is difficult for me to read even the speedometer under bright sunlight conditions (and impossible to read anything else).

Dislikes:

- The muffler is HUGE! It is out of place on that otherwise sleekly styled scooter, and it has got to be quite heavy. It is as bad as the mirrors are good! I'm sure the aftermarket exhaust folks are going to do some business.

- The rear seat is almost flush with the bodywork. I think that might result in some discomfort for a passenger - bodywork contacting inner thighs. And it might also result in some paint being scratched or worn thin from passenger contact. I didn't sit on it though. Visually, it looks sleek - but impractical.

- The floor of the dash compartment is not flat. It has more ridges and valleys than the surface of the moon! Yuk.

- The underseat trunk is not very deep. It, like the dash, has an irregularly shaped bottom surface. Not sure how it would compare to the AN400, but it is for sure not in the same league as the AN650 trunk.

- This is not a scooter for long legged folk. The handlebars were hitting my legs when I sat on it - and not just when fully turned (like the AN400).

Indifferent:

- Overall styling, with the exception of that awful muffler, is pretty sleek. But I don't think it is a clear winner over the AN400. I looked back and forth between the two - they are both attractive scooters. I think the Majesty might appeal more to younger buyers - but it is strictly a matter of preference.

- Fit and Finish. An early report we got cited poor fit and finish on the Majesty. I didn't think there was a significant difference in fit and finish between the Majesty and the AN400.

Overall, it is a definite contender, and they should enjoy good sales. I think it might inspire Suzuki to enhance their 400 a bit. Nothing wrong with good competition!

· Registered
5,363 Posts
Comments re ride test:

If the muffler sounds good, I could probably forgive it's bulk. I like good sound.

I was of course comparing the trunk volume to what I am used to (the 650). I know that was unfair, because the 650 does not have the engine buried under there. But at this point, I couldn't step down to a 400 sized trunk - I am spoiled.

I'd love to ride it, but there just isn't enough leg clearance for me to do it safely. The key was in the ignition of the one I looked at and the battery was charged - so I think it has been getting some demo rides.

· Registered
5,363 Posts
Hmm... I just went to Yamaha's website, and they claim that the Majesty has a 16 gallon trunk capacity. That converts to 60.5 liters. It sure doesn't look like it though. I prefer the deeper trunk on the 650 - the Majesty's looks long and shallow. I'm not going to get in more trouble regarding the AN400 though. :? I haven't looked at an AN400 trunk lately, so I'm really not sure how that 55 liters is arranged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.