Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/un ... jesty.aspx
have you seen the pics/specs? it looks very similar to the burgman 400. it does have dual rear shocks ilike the 650, instead of the monoshock(which I prefer).
I would like to sit on one to see if there is a little more legroom than the burgman.
looks like everyone except kawasaki is getting into the megascooter market.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The Majesty 400 and Grand Majesty 250 do look good from the rear, but the front is still not as sharp as the new Honda Forza (Relfex) 250 and AN250/400. One thing that has happened in the big-scooter market is that the standard lighting package is leading the way withon the two wheeler world - 55/65W lighting as standard for the Grand Majesty 250/400 and Forza (Relfex) 250. Sadly, the AN250/400 is still fitted with 35/55W lights, so you'll need to convert to HID for confident mountain road night riding.

If appears to have a little more legroom, but again remember that these are intended for sale in the Japanese market as their prime market, and we are seeing a huge increase in the number of lady riders here now. They are buying big-scooters and cruisers for the mostpart - these are the most fashionable, comfortable and easy to ride machines over here afterall. Yamaha are not likely not make the top selling big-scooter too big for sale in it's home market.

The main difference to the AN250/400 is the fact that the new Majesty has an aluminium girder like frame, which they claim has stiffened up the suspension. The engine still sits on the swingarm in the standard swing-axel configuration, unlike the TMax, SW and AN650.
http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/mc/lineup/sc ... .html#DTL3

The japan site has loads more details and pictures of the whole pakage.
http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/mc/lineup/sc ... index.html

Kawasaki not in the big-scooter market? They've been making or should I say 'borrowing' the Epsilon for years...
http://www.kawasaki-motors.com/model/ep ... /index.jsp

Enjoy.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've ridden the 250 in Europe twice (Rome and Paris I think) and found it to be superior to the Reflex (Forza). Too bad it's not available in the US.

Peace.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rod,
what was your impression of the majesty compared to the burgman concerning legroom?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Bleeder, good to hear that you get around.

The Reflex and AN250 are different machines - the non 'Type S' model with the full screen and staid colours are viewed as middleaged and as a result haven't sold well in Japan. The Type 'S' model (short smoked screen, black wheels, smoked rear lamp cluster, white/black/yellow single colour model) has sold a lot better. Whilst the AN250 is marketed as everyday transport - potentially as a replacement for a small car, the Relfex was designed to be the best looking big-scooter. Don't forget that it's forerunner was the Foresight, and although Peugeot make it now under license in France, it wasn't the most sytlish and was consistently outsold by the Majesty and Skywave (AN250). It is no understatement to say that the Forza singlehandedly turned around the perception of Honda's position in the big-scooter market. It outsold the AN250 for the mostpart of it's life cycle.

Whilst having less underseat storage than the AN250 (40litres vs 55litres), the Relfex has ABS. For the all weather solo commuter, this is worth more than anything else. It's riding position makes it the most sportiest of the big scooters, and it has the highest top speed by far...

...which is why I say that they are different machines. The Relfex was introduced in 2000, whereas the AN250 was introdcued in 2002, so one can't do a straight comparison for those reasons. Just sitting on the all new 2004 Relfex 250 with it's intelligent key system and stylish instrument panel and 62litre underseat storage (vs 55litres of the AN250)makes the AN250/400 seems antiquitated - but again, we are not comparing like with like. Two years in a long time in developement terms for this rapidly growing market.

Similarly, the Majesty is the best seller - simply because Yamaha have embraced the custom culture that is at the moment dominating the big-scooter riding populace over here. You rarely see a bog standard 12 inched wheel Majesty over here - usually a 14inch wheeled, loud piped, stereo speakered, flourescent lighted thing with custom seat and tasteful paint. Again, to compare the Majesty, Reflex and AN250 is not comparing like with like.

I myself still like the old Relfex in pearl white. Those lines and those simple round white dials will never lose their appeal, and I've yet to meet a rider that can stay with the Reflex on downhill mountain passes on any type of motorcycle.

Lycheed

·
Registered
498 Posts
Bean, how tall are you? I can sit on one and give you a comparison to the AN250 and Relfex if you can't get to one yourself. But as I say, expect them to be very similar...

·
Registered
428 Posts
lycheed said:
Bleeder, good to hear that you get around.

I myself still like the old Relfex in pearl white. Those lines and those simple round white dials will never lose their appeal, and I've yet to meet a rider that can stay with the Reflex on downhill mountain passes on any type of motorcycle.

Lycheed

LOL, yes I'm leaving for a 3 week trip to Italy, Greece and Turkey with my wife and three teenage daughters in 2 days.

I really liked my Reflex, though white is not an option here.

The Yammy's are just simply the best scooters I've ever ridden, for me. They are kick ass urban transportation.

Peace.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Bleeder,

Enjoy the trip, brother. From the looks of the pictures you've taken in Tokyo, you know exactly what I am talking about.

Peace :wink:

·
Registered
135 Posts
i may be mistaken but just the fact that the majesty is now on the english yamaha website...the same one we look at here in the us i would have to assume this model is now available here. am i wrong on this?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
It may just be the images I'm comparing, but it looks like the buttrest is back a couple of inches further on the Majesty. From the pics, I do not like the access to the trunk space nor the way the gloveboxes are laid out. The Burgman looks like it has better storage space. The extra .3 gallons of fuel is a nice perk. I'd like to see a head to head comparison of performance and ride between it and the Burgman 400. Bryan, think you can get Yamaha to send one for us to review like Corbin? :lol:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
billmeek said:
I'd like to see a head to head comparison of performance and ride between it and the Burgman 400.

Bryan, think you can get Yamaha to send one for us to review like Corbin? :lol:
I'm very sure we'll see a comparison road test or two in the scooter and motorcycle magazines before the end of the year. It might not hurt if a few folks sent email to Cycle World, Rider Magazine, etc. to indicate an interest in such an article? I think it is going to be a very close competition between those two scooters. The Burgman has a sales advantage in being here first, but showroom impact and test articles will play a part.

I think Bryan is too busy right now to properly evaluate the Yamaha... But I'll bet we could scare up some volunteers! LOL

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
pauljo said:
I think Bryan is too busy right now to properly evaluate the Yamaha... But I'll bet we could scare up some volunteers! LOL
<Jumping up and down waving hands like a madman> :blob: ME! ME! ME!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts