Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be doing the USA Four Corners tour on the Burgman in September and I would like satellite radio for the trip.

I don't intend to install a terrestrial radio unless its absolutely necessary.

Prefer helmet headsets over external speakers.

Prefer a radio that I can use in the car and in the home in addition to the Burgman.

Are there any techies on this forum that have done or know how to do such a setup?

What's the "best" hardware?

Will the small "hockey puck" antennas work on the Burgman. If not, what are the alternatives?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
An idea

:!: Recieved this interesting approach to my request for installation ideas on the Yahoo Burgman 650 site in case anyone else is thinking about satellite radio,

Dan

:arrow: "Yes, the hockey puck antenna will work. I have a Delphi Roady XM radio that I have in my car and when I go on long trips I just take it out of the car and hook it up on the Burg. I dont try to make it look professional becaus emost of the time it is only on it for a day or so. As for speakers I just use my running head phones that wrap around my ear and feel real comfortable. Plugs into the power outlet with wire coming out the side. I put the radio itself in the left side storage compartment. I stick the antenna by either rear view mirror with a zip tie. I cut it off when I am done. Hey it works.

See ya.

Michael Caldwell

2003 AN650K3 Silver 3500m"

·
Registered
30 Posts
sounds right

I've been looking at XM radio also for the Burg and this advice sounds dead on. I haven't tested yet, but I know "in theory" this will work.

The Delphi XM Roady actually has a car kit that allows is to be powered by a cigarette lighter plug like what's in the glove box of the Burg. It also emits an FM frequency, so you could use any walkman or portable radio type device to pick up the XM signal and feed into your helmet headphones.

There are only a couple of drawbacks that I can see. I think you'd need a pretty high quality radio. Many of the cheaper walkmans seem to pick up a lot of interference. The other thing is, if the XM unit is actually inside the glove box, it wouldn't be very easy to change channels or settings while on the road. Of course, I wouldn't recommend doing that even if it was dash mounted.

If you go with this setup, please let me know how it goes because I'm seriously thinking about doing exactly the same thing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Here are some mounting ideas for the Sat radios.

The XM Roady 2 is a NICE price right now, $49.99, Wal-Mart has it for $48.88.

Cyclegadgets has a number of items for the mounting, hard wire kit, antenna/radio mount, etc.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=ROADY
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=DELPHI

So...

I have the 4" cube external marine speakers and the Roady 2.
I have ordered the amplifier, hard wire kit, shorter XM antenna, XM Radio Antenna Bracket, the RAM mounts.

One of the ideas that I am pondering is a volume control. I could go with a Radio Shack dash mounted volume control or just a in-line volume control on the left grip.

Once I get all the items, I will finally pull apart the plastic and install the audio system. I will post with pictures when finished.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Hi Dan,
I have Sirius satellite radio - got the car and home kits for Christmas last year. I actually use a combo of both for my scoot. I use the car kit docking station and cigarette lighter jack along with the antenna from the home kit. There are some pix in the gallery under "Tall Woman's satellite radio rig". (Ignore the one with the MP3 player.) The only change I made since the pix is that I am using earphones instead of the speakers and attaching the Sony Walkman to my belt. I recommend the Sony brand name Walkman for the "FM radio passthrough" - it's very good quality. Basically, I velcroed (is that a word?) the radio in it's docking station to the dash and windshield, velcroed the antenna "block" to the windshield and ran a wire for the power through a whole I already had in the glovebox (long story). I put the long length of the antenna wire in the small right glovebox. The radio has a little wire that sends the satellite radio signal to the Walkman. The earphones are plugged into the Walkman. 8)
Hope this is helpful.
Good luck and enjoy! :p
TallWoman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts