Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I tested a theory I had today. Since I haven't gotten my Burgman yet, I tested my theory on my lawnmower. Like many of you, I hate to ride without tunes.

Here's my theory.
An XM Radio reciever will put out enough audio power without a radio for a amplifier thru it's line out jack to play through a set of small ear buds or walkman headphones.

Theory proved correct today as I mowed the back forty.

So what does this mean?
If you have a Delphi Sat receiver and a car kit you can plug your power cord into your power outlet on your Bergman, mount the antenna plug & it into the mount. Plug in your headphones in the line out jack and you've got Satellite radio in your ear.

Draw back.

Without playing through a radio you don't have volume control, but I could hear my tunes over the riding mower at full throttle. I'm thinking that when my Bergman gets here I can mount my Delphi reciever on the center of the handle bars and wear my earbuds under my helmet. Used to use a walkman on my crotch rocket for tunes, but with the advent of satellite radio and the no commercial format, it is all that more appealing.
If you put an amp to power some mounted speakers and volume knob you wouldn't need a radio. If satellite is all you need, that is.

Anyway, just one of those odd things my fertile mind thought of, and thought I'd share. :idea:

Curtis J

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Curtis J said:
Ok, I tested a theory I had today. Since I haven't gotten my Burgman yet, I tested my theory on my lawnmower. Like many of you, I hate to ride without tunes. [snipped]

[Curtis J

I cannot ride on my lawnmower! :cry:

Here in the UK and on the Olde Burgman, I use a standard cheap walkman type affair which I slip in my jacket inside pocket - just listen to FM on earphones (if I am plugged into the Steet Pilot then just the left ear for tunes). Its cheap - it works, but has a number of drawbacks.

No remote control - so I can only adjust volume or change channels when stopped.

Any other solution would have to be weatherproof for obvious reasons - any ideas anybody?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NormanB said:
Here in the UK and on the Olde Burgman, I use a standard cheap walkman type affair which I slip in my jacket inside pocket - just listen to FM on earphones (if I am plugged into the Steet Pilot then just the left ear for tunes). Its cheap - it works, but has a number of drawbacks.

No remote control - so I can only adjust volume or change channels when stopped.

Any other solution would have to be weatherproof for obvious reasons - any ideas anybody?
Norman,
I'm just curious. Do you even have Satellite radio in the UK?
Too sad if it not there. Having no commercials is my favorite.
Back on topic.
My Satellite reciever does have a remote control too!
Since all my other motorcycles are down for rebuilds right now, all I had handy to test my theory on was my riding mower . But I had you guys in mind when I tested it, HONEST :lol:

I guess you guys get a lot of rain on your side of the pond.
Sony does have a several athletic radios that are water resistant. I have used them while running for years while sweating all over them.

CurtisJ

CJ

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Curtis J said:
NormanB said:
[snipped]
Norman,
I'm just curious. Do you even have Satellite radio in the UK?
Too sad if it not there. Having no commercials is my favorite.
Back on topic.
My Satellite reciever does have a remote control too!
Since all my other motorcycles are down for rebuilds right now, all I had handy to test my theory on was my riding mower . But I had you guys in mind when I tested it, HONEST :lol:

I guess you guys get a lot of rain on your side of the pond.
Sony does have a several athletic radios that are water resistant. I have used them while running for years while sweating all over them.

CurtisJ

CJ
Hi CurtisJ

Thanks for responding (and so quick).

Well we do not have satellite broadcasting for radio (I think not anyway), but then there is no need for me to escape adverts as I listen to the BBC output. BBC Radio 2 has a good selection of tunes and BBC Radio 4 is a more language based and 'intelligent' channel with comedys, current affairs and radio plays. Hell why am I explaining this you could listen on the Net and sample yourself http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/(bear in mind the time difference though - not much good on this time of nght here (midnightish)).

The latest thing on the block here is DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) but receivers still expensive at the moment.

I don't really want to talk about rain it is supposed to be Summer here and the weather is bloody well coming in from the Atlantic (should be coming from the South)and with it lots and lots of rain. :cry: :cry:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
DonRich90 said:
Hey Norm, is there any solution to the poor reception I get using a Sony Walkman while riding the bike? Using the antenna built into the radio/headphone unit isn't very effective when I'm moving. :D
Don
Dunno Don. :?

I get that if I ride into a patchy reception area - I hate it - having to stop and retune.

But over here that happens in the car too - driving into areas of poor reception, but then it is no big deal to put your coffee down, stick the donut in your mouth, change radio channels and stroke the dog - is it? :wink:

If you find a solution for walkman type devices I would like to hear it - but I think it is an FM thing.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Norm,
Thanks for the BBC connection...used to listen to jazz on a UK station, but lost where it was a long time ago. Hey, come to think of it, I haven't seen another UK thing in awhile, I haven't gotten my August issue of Twist N Go!

Hmmm, putting the coffee down, and eating a doughnut while driving...as a retired cop, you've reminded me of my old days!

Come on over to this side of the pond for next year's Scootercade...we'll go have a pint somewhere.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
You are very welcome Bruce!

Thanks for the offer, I must admit it would be nice to do the scootercade - and meet some of you fine people -but realistically not much chance.

A virtual pint instead:

(not really my sort of beer - looks like Bud or something like that! :wink: )

·
Registered
20 Posts
in reply

Try this... I found a RIO MP3 player with FM Tuner that straps to your arm. So I strapped it to the plastic piece on the right hand side of the handle bars and then found a volume booster at the local Radio Shack ($20) to which is strapped to the left side of the handle bars and plugs into the MP3 player on the right I then can connect upto 3 sets of ear buds into the volume booster. I only need 2 for riding 2-up.

I found an FM Tuner that uses 2 AAA batteries and the reception is much better for approx ($10) that is 1.5" wide, 2.5" tall, 3/8" thick at the local blockbuster on sale for 50% off so I bought 3. Only because it was alot less expensive to loose these that the RIO.

One advantage the RIO has over the Colby tuner is that the RIO says it is water resistant. The tuner says "DO NOT GET WET!" I do not know why it says it that way but it has worked for me for 3 months now.

I also have a pair of Radio Shack clip-on over the ear headphone with a volume control dial, that sit behind the ear pads of my helmet. (some adjustment required)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts