Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped a 650 Burg off with some new tires today , last set they did was late summer $102.00 . Now $90 PER!!! wheel . The woman who wrote me up said they called around to other dealers and found out they were the cheapest , now they are the most expensive . I guess they don't want the business ? Also one of the mechanics left and the long time service manager also quit . I might add here that most of the smaller places around here have closed down now , and this dealer appears to be pretty busy now . All that said they have been very good as far as their service work , and on a bike that I bought from them .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Last year or year before all stealership get together here and decide they charge $55.00 - 60.00 per tire when not purchase from them, that $110.00 - $120.00 hour. It probably go up again in 2014. Ma & pa shop go up to $40.00 - 45.00 and have lot of tire mount business but will increase also as stealership increase.

Few of us now build DIY tire changer and purchase No-Mar tire mount and demount bar to use with homemade tire changer made from old automobile wheel, find several video model on YouTube for homemade version.

Change 3 tire DIY and everything paid in full, can share cost with other biker.

·
Registered
643 Posts
The local dealership charges me $20 to mount and balance when I bring the wheel & tire in. The other dealer charges $55 to do the same thing.

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>The woman who wrote me up said they called around to other dealers and found out they were the cheapest , now they are the most expensive<<

Interesting business rationale.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
>>The woman who wrote me up said they called around to other dealers and found out they were the cheapest , now they are the most expensive<<

Interesting business rationale.
Equally odd that they would say that to a customer? It would be my last time there.

However if I had a business with a shop, tools, employees--and the overhead that goes with both--I would not charge any less for removing the wheels, dismounting/mounting/balancing the tires, and re-installing the wheels. It's easily a 2+ hour job if done right...

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>It's easily a 2+ hour job if done right...<<

I agree... it's no easy chore. So, you either bite the bullet and pay the freight or do it yourself.

Say Cliffy, do you ever attend the "Riding into History" bike show in St. A. in May?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have 2 extra sets of rims. I will hopefully never be in that situation again. Sport Tour charges $40 to change a tire if you do not buy it thru them if you bring the rim in off the bike.

What was the total for both tires and changing fee?

I know I paid $190 at the dealer the last time for the rear alone.

The Honda dealer in Madisonville, KY mounted my car tire for $25. I'm thinkin I will be driving 300 miles just to do business with them again.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
>>It's easily a 2+ hour job if done right...<<

I agree... it's no easy chore. So, you either bite the bullet and pay the freight or do it yourself.

Say Cliffy, do you ever attend the "Riding into History" bike show in St. A. in May?
We sort of "observe it". Neither my wife nor I are "joiners" or "participants" so we tend to circle the periphery and find entertainment where it might be--that's how we are spending Bike Week. At our age there is also a big chunk of "been there and done that".

That said if you find yourself here let me know!

BTW, I lived in Keene/Spofford/Brattleboro for a couple years in the 60s, where are you in NH?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The thing I find really backwards is I can take my car to the local shop with two tires that are leaking they remove the wheels from the car, remove the tires from the wheels and repair the punctures from the inside, put the tire back on the wheel then throw it on the balancing machine to check it (if it is out of balance and requires weights it's an additional $10 per) then mount them back on to the car all for $15 a wheel or $25 if the wheel needs to be rebalanced.
I understand the shops have to make money but they are charging $50-$60 just to change out the bike tire if the wheel and new tire are brought to them, I think it's a bit steep.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The thing I find really backwards is I can take my car to the local shop with two tires that are leaking they remove the wheels from the car, remove the tires from the wheels and repair the punctures from the inside, put the tire back on the wheel then throw it on the balancing machine to check it (if it is out of balance and requires weights it's an additional $10 per) then mount them back on to the car all for $15 a wheel or $25 if the wheel needs to be rebalanced.
I understand the shops have to make money but they are charging $50-$60 just to change out the bike tire if the wheel and new tire are brought to them, I think it's a bit steep.
Lifting an automobile, pulling the wheels, dismounting/mounting tires; and balancing/re-installing same is completely unrelated to doing same on a bike. Not the same ballpark or even close--if you had ever done it you would know...

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Lifting an automobile, pulling the wheels, dismounting/mounting tires; and balancing/re-installing same is completely unrelated to doing same on a bike. Not the same ballpark or even close--if you had ever done it you would know...
How do you figure?

·
Registered
158 Posts
The Suzuki dealer in Ocala, FL., mounts and balances free if you buy tires from them. A set of Shinko for my 650 will run about $155. If you don't buy your tires there they charge $60 each. A no-brainer as to what I will do.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Costs are $35, $45 or $60 for a front round here if bought at the shop, but they all price match Internet store prices so it's a no brainier. My local bike shop is the $45 but it's 1 mile from work vs $35 is 25 miles away. These are all prices on the bike, off the bike is cheaper,

·
Registered
154 Posts
Car tires and motorcycle tire change.

In answer to the gentleman who wondered why the price for changing motorcycle tires and car tires are so far apart. I used to work at a Firestone tire store as an assistant manager and would frequently do tire work if we were busy. I could completely change out a set of 4 tires including balance in 30 minutes if I was in a hurry. I have changed the tires on my motorcycles and I'd rather do a car any day. Much more involved and time consuming to change out tires on a bike then a car any day. To save a lot of money when changing out tires is at least take the tire and rim off of the bike and then take it to the dealer, most of the time and labor comes from just removing the rims and tires. Anyone with a little patience and a few tools can do it if they put their mind to it. The really hard part is removing the tire and mounting a new one to the rim. I changed out my tires recently and could not for the life of me get the tire off of the rim, got the first half off but could not get the the second bead off of the tire. Had to take it to the dealer, he did it for free! Sorry for the long ramble.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
In answer to the gentleman who wondered why the price for changing motorcycle tires and car tires are so far apart. I used to work at a Firestone tire store as an assistant manager and would frequently do tire work if we were busy. I could completely change out a set of 4 tires including balance in 30 minutes if I was in a hurry. I have changed the tires on my motorcycles and I'd rather do a car any day. Much more involved and time consuming to change out tires on a bike then a car any day. To save a lot of money when changing out tires is at least take the tire and rim off of the bike and then take it to the dealer, most of the time and labor comes from just removing the rims and tires. Anyone with a little patience and a few tools can do it if they put their mind to it. The really hard part is removing the tire and mounting a new one to the rim. I changed out my tires recently and could not for the life of me get the tire off of the rim, got the first half off but could not get the the second bead off of the tire. Had to take it to the dealer, he did it for free! Sorry for the long ramble.
^ this...

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
So you're saying 50-60 bucks per wheel is justifiable if you bring them the wheel and tire?

BTW I have changed tires and know what it entails.
It does not matter if it is "justifiable"* or not, those who don't care to pay it do not have to--they have the options of finding someplace that does it for less, or do it themselves.

Choosing the latter I have, for over 55 years of riding, never paid for the dismounting/mounting/balancing of a tire; so what shops charge to do so is irrelevant...

---------------------------------
* - An odd concept, that businesses should some how be expected or required to "justify" their prices.

·
Registered
375 Posts
MC & Scooters are considered hobby items here in the US, so stuff like tire changes tend to run more expensive. Plus, when you consider how much of a minority riders are compared to the huge number of automobiles that require tires and maintenance, you can see why dealers charge more for basic maintenance. Less competition, plus when sales are slow dealerships will rely on the shop to make up operating costs.

I went through this back in the late '90's when I got back into riding after a 10 year hiatus. I clipped a sharp rock on my bike and the rear tire deflated. I had the bike towed over to my local shop, and they charged me roughly the cost of two tires mail-ordered to replace one tire. After that, I decided to learn to change my own. I started with three tire irons and car rim, but moved on to a Harbor Freight machine shortly thereafter. I've been changing my own ever since.

Changing your own tires has a couple of advantages. First, tire changes are a great time to give the bike some TLC (fluid levels, cable slack, look for leaks). Also, if you spot a good deal online you can stockpile some tires for future use. Finally, if you do get a puncture and it's repairable (in the tread area, clean puncture, not a cut or tear), you can dismount the tire from the rim and use a good automotive patch to fix the tire from the inside. I would never run a patched tire on the track or if I was about to embark on a big road trip, but for normal commuting a good internal patch works for me. YMMV, of course.

Harbor Freight just came out with new version of their motorcycle tire changer, something they'd discontinued previously. If you want to learn how to change a tire, it's helpful to have an extra set of hands the first couple of times. Once you've done it a few times, you can generally change a set out in 30 minutes if you're in a hurry. My all time record was about 25 minutes, including removal and installation on the bike. Here's a vid of me changing a tire on my trust HF setup:

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've done it in the past when I was restoring Brit bikes but I have absolutely no desire to do it now. Some things just aren't worth the effort.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The Suzuki dealer in Ocala, FL., mounts and balances free if you buy tires from them. A set of Shinko for my 650 will run about $155. If you don't buy your tires there they charge $60 each. A no-brainer as to what I will do.
It would probably STILL be cheaper to order them online. It's $54 from Motorcycle Superstore...you'll be about $40 cheaper to buy them online.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts