Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was talking to a fellow rider today, this is his fourth burgman, the last one he put 184000km with normal maintenance!This was an executive 2006, at that millage he said the cvt was due for a overall, just bought an other used 2007 with low km instead of getting it repaired. Talk about tough!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Well that's a nice story to hear. After 100k or so miles, that bike did its duty. I know some will say that it's not disposable and the tranny could have been rebuilt, but economics would prevent we non-mechanically inclined to do it. Honestly, if I get 75k out of my 650, I'll consider it a win and move on to the next bike my life. Buy em used on the cheap and ride em till they die, that's my formula. :D

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Is it too costly to renew the bike parts?
If the CVT needs a complete rebuild done at the dealer it can cost as much as $4,000 . Normally or on average this little dilemma occurs in burgmans 650's that are older with higher miles . In more cases than not the bike isn't worth the cost of the repair . In other words most people wouldn't pay for a $4,000 repair when they could only get $3,000 or less for it after the repair . All that said even if you have the skills to do a complete rebuild , the parts can run well over $1,000 . So if you have a beat up old 650 that's been dropped a few times and pretty much looks like it's been dipped in sin and drug through misery , do you want to dump maybe 12 or 13 hundred and a weeks work in it ? The majority won't do it .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I also ride a older 650 (2006) and worry just a bit about the CVT going out. However, I plan on trading for a lower mileage one when I reach about 40,000 miles - just playing it safe. Another worry I have is the abilities of the dealer's mechanics to do such an involved repair.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My current 06 Exec has 27K well cared for miles. If the CVT starts to go at anywhere over 70k, I will certainly attempt the repair myself. Even if I have to put $1500 into it, I would consider it a worthwhile investment, as long as the rest of the driveline is fine. I see no reason the scooter shouldn't go for well over 100k.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts