Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question and want some opinions..

I have been given the offer to trade my Burg 400 for a Burg 650. Mine has about 2500 miles his has about 5500. MIne 2004 his 2003. He wants something smaller for his daughter to learn on. I'm trying to figure out if there is a reason why NOT to do this. When I bought my 400, I figured it was all I needed. I do love it.. and for what I use it for.. mostly local some day trips. and I plan on a few weekend trips this summer. I'm giving up better gas milage (gas prices are going to be a buger this summer) and a little cheaper insurance... I've heard such great things about both bikes.... The power of the 650 would be both fun and have it's practical side for touring. I don't want to give up something I'm satisfied with for that greener grass on the other hill... I'm half afraid thinking this is a " too good to be true" deal.. is there any problems that existed with the 2003 650 that I need to be aware of ? Oh.. and he wants $200 cash ( says this is his wife's "request")....

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 400 and I love it. I would check his out and if it was "sano clean" I'd probably do it for 200 bucks.
The only reason is the speed and the passing power. I ride with primarily Harley riders and I can keep up and in most cases I'm faster off the line. But, for a long trip I would prefer the 650.
Take a close look. :p

·
Registered
239 Posts
This is an extremely difficult one to answer. Is there a possibility of you riding the 650? If so, this could be the deciding factor. I Have never ridden a 400, but I do know that within the first mile of my test ride on the 650 that I was SOLD! The power, the smoothness, the balance, the transmission, all of these things were way better than any bike I had ridden (and there were quite a few). However, from what I have heard, the 400 is also in a class of its own, so in the long run, only you would know. As far as reliability goes, if all the services have been done, there should be no problems with the 650. A test ride should tell you what you should do. I know this is not much help, but it's the best I can offer!

Cheers,

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
yes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will definitely check it out before just handing mine over and I'm sure he will do the same. I appreciate all your perspectives.. more than just my own is better to have in case I'm over looking the obvious.
I DO want it and know it will be a different experience. The twin cylinders may add life to the engine.. especially if there is alot of highway driving. Higher routine maintenance costs? Higer over all costs for repairs? Or more longevity because things are "beefier"?
I guess I also feel that in the long run.. the 650 will hold a higher value since it cost more to begin with. I was just concerned that there was some problem with the 650 of that year and I was walking into a potentially expensive problems. For example, some people have said the early 650s had wheel bearings that were a problem.. something about how they were sealed? I did not read that close... That might be a minor repair.. I just don't want to fine that at 6000 miles they need new pistons, rings and a new drive belt for good measure ( Im being ridiculous of course) .. My stupidity has come to bite me in the butt in the past and figured I'd get some good opinions here for sure.. Thanks All...

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
If I could check the bike over and there were no problems, I'd trade the 400 and $200 in a heartbeat for the 650. Even with the one year and mileage difference, that's a VERY good deal. The only thing on the 2003 650 you'll need to do is add the rain guard (only a few bucks) near the sidestand.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
It's been said before by other members. The whole point of these machines is FUN. It is not about resale value. It is not about gas mileage. It IS about getting more enjoyment out of life. If you think you'd have more fun on the 650, and the machine is comparible to your 400 in condition - do it. I think it is a unique opportunity that is only going to come around once.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I echo all of the above.

After a test ride, if you think the 650 fits you, and if you would want or need the extra power, go for it. For $200 I don't see how you could go wrong.

As for maintenance, the 650 may actually cost less, because it uses a different type of valve that doesn't require as much adjustment/inspection.

Also, the 400s have had problems with lights burning out; something that has not afflicted the 650s.

Do make sure you have the owner's manual though, and use it; a lot of 650 owners have been charged by their dealers for valve jobs that the Suzuki maintenance bulletin mistakenly tells dealers they need do.

·
Registered
925 Posts
No doubt in my mind...yes :D

·
Registered
728 Posts
Didn't some of the '03's have bearing problems? If so, make sure this is not one of them.
Also, you mentioned about cost of insurance and such. If you're going to be paying more for things like that, then tell him he would owe you the $200 bucks. After throwing that at him, tell him you'll settle for an even trade.
I do think you'd be happier with the 650. It would have the extra umph when and if you need it. I'm sure the gas mileage won't be that much different.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
wilder days said:
Didn't some of the '03's have bearing problems? If so, make sure this is not one of them.
Wheel bearings. Not a major expense to repair. I wouldn't worry about it. I just check mine whenever I change tires. So far no problems (13,500 miles).

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
The deal is a good one, so would a 2003 750 Honda Shadow in trade be a good deal.
Trouble is I am happy with what I have now, don't think I need a 650 for the riding I do
and I know I don't want a heaver, a more expense, a less fuel efficient bike.
If that's what I wanted or needed then I would not have gotten the 400.
Any rate you asked :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'd do it in a heartbeat. I own a 2003 650, and my fiancee (in 16 days she'll be my wife!) has a 2004 400. We've had no problems with either - but she prefers to ride her 400 because it's smaller and lighter. When we go tandem she prefers to ride the 650 with me.

The 2 of you should go out for a bike swap ride. 5500 miles is nothing to be concerned about - but I would take it in for a service. Offer to pay for a mechanic's check on it, and if it looks okay then also have them do a service.

FWIW: The NADA guides http://www2.nadaguides.com/autohome2.as ... 0&wPg=2111 show

2003 650 $4,395 low retail $5,780 average retail
2004 400 $3,425 low retail $4,505 average retail

So even $1,000 to do the trade would be a good deal as long as it passes a mechanics check.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts