Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading this forum for years mostly lurking and listening and have been helped tremendously by it. One of the issues of dread among 650 riders is the impending broken belt syndrome. I suffer from that issue as my 08 now has 60,000 miles. I am reluctant to take a long trip fearful of "what if" and the cost of getting it home plus the incredible bill for repair. Maybe I'm the only one who suffers this "fear." Reading over this forum I have tried to deduce at what point this malady is most often occuring. It seems generally after 52000 miles we are affected with the dreaded syndrome and are living on borrowed time. My riding buddy, Dave Willett, sold his '06 with 180,000 miles. The belt broke at 99,000. His is the only one I've known to go that far. Now to the question, would it be helpful if we "polled" the forum to see who has broken a belt and at what miles? Has this already been done. I have searched the forum but have found no such poll.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
I think just about everyone that has broken a belt has posted it. Mine broke at just over 80,000. There is a problem with your logic though. That is trying to separate those that only broke a belt from those that had other problems. More have had other problems than have just had a belt break. Many found the belt was OK when the CVT case was opened. In my case I only broke a belt and that was all I had to replace except for a few seals and o'rings. It sounds like that was the case with your riding buddy also.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Buffalo. That's exactly what I was aiming at . . at what mileage are the belts breaking? I know there are other problems that can cause the belts to fail and there are other failures i.e. failed bearings etc, but I'm looking at specific belt failure with no other apparent causes. Is it possible to get some idea as to the mileage they are failing? I suppose this is asking a lot because of the variables. I have not read of many belt failures but I also haven't found many 650's over 50,000 miles. Again, thanks.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Tim Grant said:
Thanks Buffalo. That's exactly what I was aiming at . . at what mileage are the belts breaking? I know there are other problems that can cause the belts to fail and there are other failures i.e. failed bearings etc, but I'm looking at specific belt failure with no other apparent causes. Is it possible to get some idea as to the mileage they are failing? I suppose this is asking a lot because of the variables. I have not read of many belt failures but I also haven't found many 650's over 50,000 miles. Again, thanks.
i have an '06 with 54K and the bearing/pulley failed but the belt looks ok.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
I just went through the links in the Knowledgebase for all the known failures of ECVT's. Only 2 were traced to just the belt breaking. One was mine at 80,596 miles and the other was your buddies at 99,000 miles. All the other's included other problems or were cause unknown.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Most people I know, I know this isn't representative of all because a few do put a ton of miles on their rides, do not ever hit 80k miles on a bike they bought new, so it seems the belt is as much a lifetime belt as it can be if that is the case.

Once again let me stress, most of the people I know.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If a bearing goes the pulley assembly is going to wobble and cause the belt to self destruct. It seems to me the belt itself is good for 80-100k miles or more. It would appear most failures are caused are caused by bearing issues rather than belts. Just wanted to point that out, as so many want to blame the belt. That's not much consolation to those that have to remove the cvt to repair either issue. Buffalo had a belt snap cleanly at 80,000 plus, others are seeing bearings go out much earlier and causing the belt to fail, as well as trashing the primary pulley assembly. Big difference to me but a big issue either way. Better bearings may have made all the difference.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I spent an evening going through all the past 650 eCVT failures, trying to identify the member name, model year, miles, component failed and the thread. I found only three out of 67 that could be attributed directly to the belt. One was at 14913, another at 20257, and your friend's at @99,000.

If you are concerned about taking a long trip, I would not be concerned about the CVT belt. Unlike a "rubber band" CVT, it is not the component you should expect to fail first.

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts