Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay 7 days of ownership,600mi.My oil change light is on.Can someone who knows describe a 600 mi. service as I would like to try it myselfI would appreciate maybe a list of what the shop would do and if it's too complex I will let them.If not I'd like a crack at it.Also any pro's and con's about DIY service would be of great interest.
Thanks in advance and my 400 thx you also

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I dont' have the 400, so i don't know for sure, but doesn't your owners manual tell you what is needed for the 600 mile service? It does in my 650's manual.

For the 650 we replace the engine oil and filter, replace the transmission oil, and the gearcase lube for the final drive, inspect a few things like throttle cable tension, and check the torqe on all the fasteners.

Get a service manual- you'll find it a goldmine of information for the DIY person. Especially the location and torque standards for all those bolts.

Pros of DIY: You'll save money. Enough to more the cover the cost of the service manual and a few tools if you need them.
The job will get done, and get done correctly.

Cons: If you are mechanically inept you can cost yourself a lot of money.
You may have to invest some money in a basic tool set if you dont' already have one.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Brewman.Ordered manual the day of purchase.I will call again today.
THX again

·
Registered
605 Posts
First question I have to ask. How comfortable are you doing it yourselve? Because the first service is not just changing fluids. OK you have to change the engine oil, filter ("O" ring as well on the inside) and you can if you want change the final gear oil. The final gear oil is slated for about 12,000 kms but you may want to change it. Next the biggest item is checking the valve clearances...there is alot of information on this site discussing this so just jump around here. Don't ignore this because the valves will settle in and in some cases the valve clearances will tighten. Mine did as well as others. This can take alot of time because of all the plastic and parts that have to be removed to access the valves.

Good luck and let us know how it all works out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I decided to let the dealer do the first one as it's the most important, and I'm not the most mechanically inclined.

Here's the list of service from my bill:

4 Motul 5100 (engine oil)
1 filter, engine oil
3 gasket oil gall (gall?)

1 80W gear saver trns oil 1 ltr
1 3000 4t 20W50 1 quart
1 6 in 1 lube 16 oz (yeah, i doubt they used ALL of it on me)
3 clip, black

Looks like they did a thorough service.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
But did they do the valve clearances?

I cannot make much sense of the above list of oils - were they just making it up?

Can any of you guys that side of the pond lend a hand decrypting that list of oils?

For the 400 - should only be using 1 type of oil throughout - 10W40 motor oil for engine and transmission.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts