Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
A definate city scooter option. If I lived in and urban or in town, it would be a real option, or for commuting to work.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wow! Cool idea...looks like it's very similar to the 400 in performance except for one critical component: 62 mph top speed. If they could ever bump that up to 80 - 85 mph, I'd give it a look in the future. I do 20 miles in the HOV/carpool lane everday and 62 mph would almost be dangerous...

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
For me the range would be a deal buster. Most of my rides are beyond it's crusing range and the range of 68 miles is stated for 25 MPH. I do like the 4 year warranty they provide though.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey in 2 to 3 years, who knows where they'll be in terms of top end and range.

They'll be aiming to sell the hell out of these in the real scooter market - Asia and EU.

Peace.

·
Registered
689 Posts
This sure would be something I would definitely look at just for the smooth ride it would give, but it would have to be the same size of the Burgman or bigger and would want more power than what we have now. I am sure we will see a bigger Burgman engine size before this come to our shores, I was told by a dealer that 06 to 07 is the next major model change for the scooter world who knows the rumored Burgman 920 might come through or the so called burgman special edition 1000 if they can figure out a stronger tranny for the engine.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I take their claims with a grain (or box) of salt. I wouldn't expect it to get 62mph with me on it - or to make it 68 miles in anything other than optimal conditions (no stops, no wind...). I think 50mph and 50 miles are the realistic numbers. I laughed at the comparison page where they claim that gas powered scooters don't have as good of accelleration, have high operating cocts, high maintenance, high emissions, are noisy, are sunset technology... Yeah - they lost me in their hype... Ive seen one in person - you can only compare them to the little 50cc 2stroke scooters, not a Burgman...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hmm - these aren't the ones I've seen in person... I sill think the claims are too pie-in the sky. They mention recharging in just over 2 hours - but then go on to mention that at 110 it takes 2.5 hours to charge to 80%. I guess it needs to be on a 220 outlet to charge in just over 2 hours? Doing the math - it seems that at their optimum 25mph it still takes it longer to charge (on 110) than you get to ride it - so I don't see it being all that practical.

The fuel cell hybrid model will be really neat - but I think a gas/electric hybrid would be the most practical. It would still have very low emissions, and a much farther range. Can I get mine with a little 50cc 4-stroke engine added on? They should update their comparison page - it doesn't come close to a 400cc scooter...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have an electric bicycle & the range depends very much on your weight.
They claim a range of fourty miles if you do 2/3rds of the work & probably around seventeen when you do only 20% of the work.
I get around thirty miles at the low boost level so I believe their claim is correct for a person weighing about 170 lbs.

What they didn't mention is the high cost of batteries. Even a set of Pb/acid batteries cost me around eighty dollars. Those that use fancier ones are much more.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It would be a lot of fun passing a tractor-trailer on a bike like that.
Imagine what the least bit of wind gust from the side would do.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The Benelli Adiva 150cc scoot pictured above is designed for town/city use, not highway, so tractor trailers aren't a concern (not to mention that the roof folds away in seconds).

I rode my newly acquired Honda Cabina 90cc scoot through heavy winds in Tokyo last night and it wasn't as bad at all. The slender roof doesn't doesn't create much wind resistance. I've been blown around far worse on fully faired bikes in similar conditions.

Here's what a Cabina looks like if you haven't seen one. Made in the mid-90s.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Does the top on these scoots really offer any signifiant protection from rain or wind?
They appear to be too narrow for that.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've yet to test mine in the rain but from I've read it keeps you about as dry as you would be under an umbrella -- which isn't perfect but a lot better than being in the rain sans umbrella :lol: I'm psyched about the windshield wiper -- no more having to peer through rain streaked visors! :p

·
Registered
822 Posts
Bleeder said:
That's the first I've seen towards a REAL electric scooter! Almost usable - but not quite there if you put on more than 60 miles in a day (or take it on the freeway).

One of the car-makers (I think Honda?) has a hybrid car out... runs on electricity OR gas. If they did that with this scooter then I think they'd have a real market!!

·
Registered
247 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stay away from those. My nieghbor has a two wheeled segway (sp?) that he rides even when he mows his lawn, which I'm told requires intense therapy to sort out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
chuck807 said:
WHY ?? I'd take the Burger ANY day over that.... including rainy ones!!
Why choose between 'em. Just get 'em both :lol:

Seriously, though, if you live in a huge metropolis the Burger's too big for commuting duties. If I get one it'll be my weekend tourer and the Cabina will continue to be my work horse.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts