Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
dero said:
...I have an OEM Suzuki manual which is latest reprint 99500-36111-01E and includes a section for the 2004 K4.
You appear to have an older manual than I.

I have the -03E, but sections 2 & 11 still don't seem to agree with each other, and my Section 11 is different from yours.

Seems like a good time time to visit my dealer and see if they have correction notices.

Just to hazard a guess, though, I'd say go my Section 11 numbers, since they differ from previous versions and are thus likely to be updated rather than merely copied over.

Anyway, here are the figures from my manual:

Engine oil drain plug: 23, 2.3, 16.5 (pp. 2-13 & 11-32)

Transmission oil level plug: 12, 2.1, 8.5 (pp. 2-15) or 21, 2.1, 15 (pp. 11-32)
Transmission oil drain plug:21, 2.1, 15 (pp. 2-15 & 11-32)
Transmission oil filler plug: 12, 2.1, 8.5 (pp. 2-15) or 23, 2.3, 16.5 (pp. 11-32)

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
ACK!! mine are different in my 03 manual

Engine oil drain plug -16.5 lbs page 11-32
trans oil drain plug -15.0 lbs "
t/m oil filler -16.5 lbs "
oil level bolt -15.0 lbs "

The main section of the manual
engine oil drain plug is the same at 16.5 but the other 3 are all stated 8.5 lbs.

I never noticed the difference before.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
allwalk said:
ACK!! mine are different in my 03 manual

Engine oil drain plug -16.5 lbs page 11-32
trans oil drain plug -15.0 lbs "
t/m oil filler -16.5 lbs "
oil level bolt -15.0 lbs "

The main section of the manual
engine oil drain plug is the same at 16.5 but the other 3 are all stated 8.5 lbs.

I never noticed the difference before.
I think the first group of numbers are correct, as stated in my post above.

My dealer is closed on Sunday and Monday, but I'll stop in on Tuesday and see what they say. I'll report back here promptly.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
dero wrote
Things like this "get up my nose" , the main reason I bought the manual was to have easy access to the correct torque figures.
And I guess that should bother you, but keep in mind these torque settings are set up using formulas in an auto-cad program some place. In real life all " wrenches " own a torque wrench, but very few use it.
You learn to use the best tool you own, your hands .
I am not saying don't use torque numbers, just in some cases you don't need them--when was the last time you saw someone torque you lug bolts on your car ? They have a torque number also.. :)

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
dero said:
dero said:
I guess that there will be some sort of correction placed in the system in due course, big companies move pretty slowly.
Received fax today,

Suzuki Service Bulletin,
Issue Number: M-4-0322,
Dated: Nov 10, 2004
Models applicable: AN650K3/4, AN650AK4

Page 2-15 should read

Transmission oil drain plug: 21 N-m (2.1 kgf-m, 15.0 lbft)
Transmission oil filler plug: 23 N-m (2.3 kgf-m, 16.5 lbft)
Transmission oil level plug: 21 N-m (2.1 kgf-m, 15.0 lbft)

Cya
Be a **** sight simpler if they just quoted 22NM for the bloody lot of them - cannot imagine what real world difference it would make.

I have fallen out with my torque wrench by the way. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
18,096 Posts
I agree norm. I only use one about once a year to check my guess. I burrow my son's. Payback you know.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'd suggest you don't get into the habit of torquing any bolt down and then backing it out a half turn. In this instance you can mess up the seal/threads or warp/crack the cases... The only time you need to back a bolt/screw out half a turn is when you screw it untill it touches/seats, and then back it out. You would do this on something that you "set", like the idle air screw on a carb (which you never torque).

I used the torque wrenches to learn how much was what and since then mostly do it by feel. I get my torque wrench out when working on my F250 and need to torque something to 80 lbft, or when putting the head bolts back on a 2 stroke (you want them very close to each other).

·
Registered
270 Posts
workshop manual errors

:p Heck boys, down here in Arkansas, we just tighten the bolts up till we can't get'em back off. :p Whoever heard of a dang torque wrench anyways. HA!HA!HA! :p
After the 600 mile service, I had the dearler to do. The dang drain plug, was put on so tight, I had to take it to a cyle shop & have it put up on a stand. And use a big long wrench just to break it over, to drain the dang oil out of it. :roll:
I'm no mechanic, however I wouldn't think you would need to put anything on that tight. Torque wrench or not. Sometimes you just have to use comman sense. I tighten the plug till it don't leak. And then I stop tighting. Am I wrong? :p

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yeah - I think I realized you weren't serious AFTER I'd replied. But I too often hear people talk about tightening whatever until you can't get it any tighter - and then backing it out a bit - so I kind of jumped on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts