Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im reading all these texts from owners who work on these scooters. but the first and most important topic is not how to do something or where the thingamajig is ... it is simply this: WITHOUT A LIFT TO RAISE THE SCOOTER TO A HUMAN STANDING LEVEL TO WORK ON THIS BITCH YOU ARE GOING TO ROLL ON THE GROUND AND BREAK YOUR BACK GETTING TO ANYTHING. ..this is reason enough to take it to a freakin mechanic even though they cost so much..who the heck has a hydraulic lift in the garage?

mine had coolant light come on...adding water to the radiator is, unfortunately, not as easy as your car.. just to add freakin distilled water to the bitch you are already lying on the ground unscrewing **** and trying to get little plastic tabs to release a plastic radiator holder so you can get access to the radiator cap!!..sound like fun?..get on the ground first step. screw this maintenance crap.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Even with my bum leg I would rather roll around in the dirt on a hot day then pay what the dealer wants. As for a lift they can be had for not too much.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-lightweight-aluminum-motorcycle-lift-60636.html - under $200, very portable

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-position-motorcycle-lift-99887.html - under $200, good design without being too big

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-motorcycle-lift-68892-8495.html - just over $400 but the best design

Even the most expensive one would pay for itself in a few years. The other two might pay for themselves after one use depending on what needs to be done and how much your dealer charges. I personally am looking at getting the second model I listed, if I can figure out a place to store it.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I've really no proper facility to do maintenance, nor a decent set of tools. So I pick and choose my battles. Easy items like oil, filter, brakes and such I do. The next notch up is utilizing friends like installing my top box. But there are times one just must have a lift and special tools like tire installs and heavy engine work. I've a couple different shops I use for that work.

It really comes down to how comfortable one is working on their own bike. I'd gladly buy a lift if I had a garage, tools and enjoyed the work; All of which I don't. But I'm eternally grateful for those who do and share their knowledge with we mere mechanical mortals, like Le Dude, Quantum, Mitch, Bolzen and the rest. Thanks guys, you probably should get that more often.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think the local shops near my home get $90 per hour, which makes it worth my while to do the repairs I can handle. Part of the problem many of us have with scooter repairs, aside from the plastic panels, is our age. As I've gotten older, it's harder for me to scramble around on the floor. That Harbor Freight lift table sure looks tempting.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have Harbor Freight lift table. Best investment I have made in a long time.
It can be had for ~$250 with the use of 20-25% 0ff coupons and sale prices.
Tools are not an expensive investment. I enjoy working on the scooter
and I know the quality of work when I am done. To each his own.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you're diligent, you can score a better lift for not much more; I had a Handy lift that came out of a snowmobile repair shop for $500. The deck was a bit chewed up by studded treads, but I didn't care. I ended up in a time/money jam at one point, and was able to sell the Handy for what I paid for it. Kendon makes a nice lift that can be stored standing up on end, and I'm thinking about getting one of those in the next couple years.

We all choose our battles. If you're patient enough and know what you're willing to pay, you can find stuff like lifts for decent prices. Heck, I've known guys who built work tables for bikes out of 2x4's and plywood that they used for whatever project they had, then broke them down when they were done.

I'll be the first to admit that when it comes to car repair, I let the guys at my local BP station do the work - especially in winter. I don't have a heated garage space, and it gets down to -20 F to -30 F here in the winter. That'll take the zest out of just about anyone.

Keep scanning those local Craigslist ads. Figure out some key word searches and don't forget to look for misspellings. If you want it, you can find it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts