Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to vent. :x

I was in my cage the other day cruising placidly down Highway 98 (divided 4 lane 40 mph) when I was overtaken by a group (5) of "wooom wooom" crotch-rocket riders. We were about a 16th of a mile away from a light that was definitely going to turn red.

What did 3 of them do? They did nosies.

Now, I dig nosies, but, imho, you should not do that sort of thing next to or around other cars...one guy almost didn't do it correctly and waivered, and that poor person that he was almost on top of would of had a lot of unwanted grief.

I hate idiots like that.

wooom woom - go away.

justavent.
pedz.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Something needs to be done, a few weeks ago I was driving my cage heading home in Albuquerque at a speed about 45. As I was crossing the Rio Grande river (if you want to call it that) a crotch rocket came up behind me up on the rear wheel at a high rate of speed. . I had to slow because of traffic, but I am glad I had time to slow the rate deceleration. When he finally came down and stopped, he was about 3 inches from my rearend...even with quick glances in the rearview mirror I couldnt help but notice the expression on his face, he had no helmet. If I had to stop quickly, I would have had him for a back seat passenger. :shock: :angryfire:

·
Registered
848 Posts
I agree that that sort of riding as no place on the public roadways, but I am at a loss for a resolution to the problem. To me, stories like that reinforce the need to be aware of traffic all around us. We have to constantly monitor front, sides and back. Yes, being on our toes every moment on our machines may take away some of the pleasure of 'losing oneself' in the ride and the surroundings but it is the best way to increase our odds of making it home in one piece. It really doesn't matter if it is a cage or a 'squid', somebody, somewhere, on your next ride is going to do something stupid and quite possibly put you in danger. Don't let your guard down.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I hate to say it, but todays bikes are just TOO good. Powerful, controllable engines. Powerful, controllable brakes. Great handling. Gives a noob a real false sense of security.

Steve

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Rubble wrote
Yes, being on our toes every moment on our machines may take away some of the pleasure of 'losing oneself' in the ride and the surroundings but it is the best way to increase our odds of making it home in one piece
Just like getting hit with a fast ball at a game, it' all part of the package we except :)

wasion wrote
I hate to say it, but todays bikes are just TOO good. Powerful, controllable engines. Powerful, controllable brakes. Great handling. Gives a noob a real false sense of security
What your saying about the bikes is true. The trouble is some of the people buying them will always be idiots -It's a shame that has not improved along with the bikes. :(

·
Registered
925 Posts
Late last summer, I witnessed something really horrible. I was at the local Wal-Mart. There was a kid (18 or 19 i'd guess) riding around the parking lot and showing off on a 'Busa. Needless to say, when it is wet outside, and dark, don't do wheelies through a parking lot. On his second attempt at this, he lost control at a fairly high rate of speed. The bike shifted to the right, caught the curb next to a parking space, and sent him flying through the air. Unfortunately for him, he landed on the hitch of a truck. Actually, it was only his head that hit the ball and receiver, leading to one nasty impalement!!! The ball entered his head just below his left earlobe. OUCH!!
One of the most shocking things I have witnessed in a long time. :shock:

·
Registered
329 Posts
From time to time, I see riders doing triple digit wheelies through the traffic on I-270 around Columbus. Of course, I never did anything like that when I was young. We really don't need to do much about it, though. Natural selection will eventually weed out those who are inept at this sort of behavior, along with those who do not use helmets or seatbelts. If you play long enough, the averages will grind you into dust.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Kids think they are indestructable and like to live life on the edge - with no thought to the consequences. But just think how this 19 year old's parents must have felt when the police knocked on their to door to inform them their son was now dead.

Oh, the heartache & grief caused by a careless moment of silliness! :cry:

Ride safely like your life depends on it, for it surely does!

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've edited this today... didnt want to blather on about too many things...and I haven't dug too deep into the forum to "get" (completely) what you are speaking to. But from what I've just read, it looks to me as you've lost a loved one. I hope not. But if so, here's a bit of feedback.

That's, well, horrible.

I have three children (well not really children...better put would be young people). Ben, 14, Phil, 19, and Monica, 21. I don't know how I would deal with that sort of thing, and I try not to think about it.

In 1963 I lost my big brother. He was a young scoot. Only 6. And a hellraiser at that. He was riding a bicycle. I've missed not having him around through all these years. I sure could have used his companionship and brotherly input.

Every time I strap on Moonpie I think of him and my three kids. I try to be careful.

He is missed as yours is.

Thank you for the share.

Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts