Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..wood repair? Man when it comes to hammer and nails, I'm all thumbs. But due to flippin hurricane Ivan, I had to replace a 14 foot piece of cedar eve running beside my soffet just under the roof shingle flashing. Its a 14 foot long by 1 inch thick by 6 inches wide piece of fresh cedar. My little house is sided with rough-cut cedar planks. I think it looks great but, it's old and "seasoned". The siding that's on there is all "patinaed" and dark due to age, mold, sunshine,etc. Anyway, it's always been unfinished and its mostly a grayish/coffee-ish color now...except of course, for that new piece of eve that I had to replace, which sticks out on the front side of the house like a sore thumb...all golden-looking and stuff. erg. :evil:

So - do any ya'll know how to "rapid-age" cedar planks? How can I get that new piece to get dull and gray in a hurry?

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

:cry:

·
Registered
848 Posts
The best answer I can come up with is every time you catch a glimpse of the offending board jump on the Burgman and get as far away from it as possible. Out of sight, out of mind. :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Have you not got a piece at the back of the house a similar size - put that out front and stick the new one at the back. :)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a great idea Norman, but...it was a miracle that I got the new piece up and positioned correctly without smashing any of my fingers, severing a finger or limb with the circular saw, or falling off the ladder and going ass over tea kettle straight to the ER!!! :) Soap - thanks for the good advice but, I'm just not that much of a glutton for punishment.

Any other advice out there? Maybe if I get a spray bottle and fill it up with milk and then spray the wood down with it it'll start a molding/darkening thing happenin'.... :roll:

hmmmmm.... (kachunk, kachunk, kachunk goes petes brain...)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Pete said:
That's a great idea Norman, but...it was a miracle that I got the new piece up and positioned correctly without smashing any of my fingers, severing a finger or limb with the circular saw, or falling off the ladder and going ass over tea kettle straight to the ER!!! :) [snipped]
Sorry I did not register that you had whacked it up in position. :oops:

I doubt you will be able to accelerate this natural process.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Pete, the idea with stain that Rubble found is the way to go, except I would use a light stain mixed with turpentine, this will let it soak in the wood giving it an aged look yet allowing it to also age naturally.
try your "color" on a hidden corner or spare piece b4 applying it .
You don't need to use your hammer for this job so you should be safe :p :)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks fellow Tavernites! I think Rubbles last post was v/good. Got the site bookmarked. And thank you Randy for the additional info. Think I'll buzz on down to the local paint shop and pruse the stain in a small can options. Daggum Ivan tore my place up pretty good. Roof, privacy fence, trees, collapsed bedroom ceiling. USAA really did me justice tho. My poor Dad however, living about 50 miles closer (pensacola), on the water, really got whacked. thank goodness his place was on stilts.... and good for him he has USAA also.

anyway, thats off subject. thanks you guys for taking a look and giving some useful feelback.

pedz.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts