Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
The suspense is killing me. You've certainly been about as thorough with your troubleshooting as anyone I've seen.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
It's Fixed! It runs! And I'm happy!! For those of you following along, thanks and thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. Just when I was about to throw in the towel, I stumbled across something posted on a Quad forum. I figured that I wasn't the first to have this problem and someone (smarter than me) had to figure it out. A guy with a 2007 single cylinder Suzuki quad posted that his quad would not start after it sat for a while. When he tried it to start it, it had one spark than none. After 10 pages in the thread and after trying many things, he discovered that if he caught the machine in gear that it would run fine until he shut it off, then no start again. He eventually rigged up a second battery, so that when he hit the start button, it would crank on two batteries. Although I couldn't catch the scooter in gear and I wasn't going to rig up two batteries, it gave me an idea. I isolated the starter by jumping it directly from one battery while powering the ignition from another one. It started! After some deep thinking, I decided to check for voltage drop to the ecu when the starter was cranking. Turns out that the voltage would drop to below 9 volts momentarily and this was the exact moment that I would get one spark at the plug. After carefully cleaning every connection between the battery and ecu (battery cables, started solenoid, ignition switch and connectors, stop switch and ecu, the voltage no longer drops below 9 volts and it now starts. It's been a long road, but now I have to re assemble all the plastic and take it for a ride.Thanks again

.......Paul

·
Registered
420 Posts
Awesome news.!
Now, through your diligence, we all have this maintenance/repair tidbit in our back pocket; thank you for reporting it back.
In your cleaning, were you noticing corroded/dirty connectors, or were they relatively normal.?

81 - 85 of 85 Posts