Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode my '03 650 today, and had to make a quick stop. When I came out, I turned the key and got no dashboard display, and the bike won't start. Any ideas? I've checked the battery and starter solenoid connections, as well as the Main fuse. Battery shows charge on a multimeter.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I had the same thing happen a while back. Try checking all the fuses again (mine was one of the smaller 15 amp fuses that was blown). Remember that you have fuse boxes in 2x locations on the 650; 1x in the glove box, and 1x under the seat on the left side.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
18,359 Posts
Well you said that the battery showed charged with a VOM but how many volts? 12V, 12.5V.... Anything less than 12.5 is needing charged. But you should get lights and dash.

This is a 2003 Burgman 650, right? Has the ignition switch recall been done? It is a free repair at the dealer. Call up your local Suzuki dealer and have them run the VIN and it will show if the recalls were done. The problem on the 03 was the electrical connector on the bottom of the ignition switch that the wiring harness plugs into was bad and they have to order the connector and replace it. Easy job but you must wate for the part to come in. Member Bufflalo on here has a post about that connector.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Signal fuse in the fuse box in the panel to the left of the glovebox.

·
Administrator
18,359 Posts
NormanB said:
Signal fuse in the fuse box in the panel to the left of the glovebox.
And it is funny how that Fuse controls the power of the ignition. Forgot that fuse. Do check it with a VOM.On the top of all "Blade" fuses is two metal test points. The fuse should test good on both sides. I have had blade fuses look good but be bad inside.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Yeah I think this should be called the Gonad fuse because of vulnerability and crippling effect.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Same thing just happened to my buddies Burgman '06 650 with 3000 miles... Suzuki tested ECU and it was dead... Cost to replace was appx $1000

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice. I've tested each fuse in the fusebox by the glovebox. I've also tested the Main fuse. Are there others I should look at?

I'll be calling the dealership on Monday to see if the ignition modification has been done on my bike.

I sure hope it's not the ECU, because I'm not sure the little woman would look favorably on my replacing that for $1,000.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
So is your battery charged up yet? Have you re-installed? Are the symptoms still the same?

·
Administrator
18,359 Posts
Renegade1978 said:
....I'll be calling the dealership on Monday to see if the ignition modification has been done on my bike. I sure hope it's not the ECU, because I'm not sure the little woman (SWMBO!*) would look favorably on my replacing that for $1,000.
:thumbup:

PM sent.

*SWMBO= She Whom Must Be Obayed!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NormanB said:
So is your battery charged up yet? Have you re-installed? Are the symptoms still the same?
I put the charger on it for 4 hours, and the symptoms were still there. I'm beginning to be suspicious of my battery. It doesn't seem to hold a charge for longer than about 10 minutes, but I'm not sure. When I get home from work today, it will have been on the charger (2 amp) for 24 hours. I noticed, while it was charging, that if I turned on the key, the dashboard would all flash, so I think it really is a battery issue. Never had one die on me so quickly without other symptoms.

I will most likely be making a trip to our local parts store to buy a new battery this evening.

·
Administrator
18,359 Posts
A small charger will not put out much amperage, even less if its trying to charge a bad battery. Do you have jumper cables? Using a car/truck put the jumpers on and see if the dash lights come on. But do not start the car/truck or it could do more damage.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
It sounds like a battery issue, but do not discount that you may have a defective regulator too.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dave_J said:
A small charger will not put out much amperage, even less if its trying to charge a bad battery. Do you have jumper cables? Using a car/truck put the jumpers on and see if the dash lights come on. But do not start the car/truck or it could do more damage.
Battery was showing 13.3 V. No dash display. Called the dealership to see if the ignition modification had been done ( it was, in 2006). Service tech asked what the problem was, and when I described it, he told me to do exactly what Dave_J said, and when I did, the dash lit up. So, $100 and a new battery later, I'm back in the saddle again.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Administrator
18,359 Posts
:) Just keep an eye on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts