Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2007 Burgman 650 that has performed flawlessly all summer, but this morning I went out to start it and everything looks normal until I try to start it, nothing happens...well, almost nothing. The headlight dims (as is normal) and on the dash it says "check". I also noticed that the temp is reading hot, but I can't recall if it always reads that way before it starts or not, the engine is definitely cold. I did leave it out the last couple of nights because my garage is a mess, but it has been warm and dry with the exception of a couple light sprinkles. I also had it on the center stand. I've had issues with that stupid switch for the stand before, but that's not it because it would still start if that was the problem. Maybe the side stand switch??

On a slight rant here, but what's the point of telling me to "check" but not telling me what to check? Just sayin.

:confused:

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
The "check" on the dash indicates the red emergency stop switch is in the stop position. The side stand switch just prevents the motor from running and does not have an indicator.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did that at work one night, sat there for 10 minutes, was just about to call my daughter to come pick me up when a little voice in my head said: is the switch on start or stop? Don't know how it got flipped, but that was it -- boy was my face red!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boy, if that's it I'm going to look kinda dumb. I'm hoping it's something more serious just so I can save face. I'll have a look this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Boy, if that's it I'm going to look kinda dumb. I'm hoping it's something more serious just so I can save face. I'll have a look this afternoon.
Don't worry about looking dumb it is always easy to overlook the owners manual.;-)

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Been there done that + some other thinks that I would really call dumb. ;)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Me too - twice!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
When I park up in area that I assess as needing a more secure approach as well as locking the handlebars and flipping the shutter. I will then add on a disc lock and flip the cut out switch.:cool:

Sounds bad but thankfully I do not feel the need to do this too often.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome to the "Stop Switch Club". I once walked a mile to pick up a quart of oil because I thought that was my challenge. In reality, my glove edge had hit the stop switch. As the they say, "Fool me once, shame on the stop switch - fool me twice, shame on me."

·
Registered
748 Posts
I once started to take the clutch cover off to inspect the clutch because every time I pulled the clutch, put it in gear, it stalled. I thought It was snubbing out or something. I stopped that project and tried again and habit must've finally kicked in and I swatted the kick stand up, ta da, it worked!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I couldn't get my scooter to start a few days after I bought it used from a dealer. I called the dealer and he asked me to cutout switch. I told him I had been riding scooters for years and I was well aware of the cutout switch and never used it. He said "humor me you never know someone could have flipped it for you " so I did and he was right it started right up. :oops:

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
The "check" on the dash indicates the red emergency stop switch is in the stop position. The side stand switch just prevents the motor from running and does not have an indicator.

I've always thought that having "kill switch engaged" show up differently (CHEC) than "sidestand down" (no indication) was a nice touch by Suzuki. Would have been nicer if they could have added a "STND" alert to the display as well, but you can't have everything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You know, they have “Broken Wings” patches for those who have crashed a bike or scooter. I wonder if there should be a “"Stop Switch Club" patch? It could be in the shape of a stop switch combined with a question mark.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm gonna ramble a bit - but this IS in response to the CHEC "issue"

I just bought my used 2007 650 3 days ago and have ridden it briefly only twice. This morning at 3am, I could not sleep so I decided to go out and see if I could eliminate most of the surface scratches with rubbing compound......OMG - literally every smudge, scuff and scratch came out with light to heavy/prolonged rubbing with Turtle Wax rubbing compound......I got started polishing the paint and spent two straight hours - I am so amazed and happy at the paint on this bike now....it literally looks very nearly new.

ANYWAY - I shined the bike up, cleaned the mirrors, windshield and footboards.....took the bike out of the garage to drive it in the pre-dawn early (quiet and safe) hours...put on the helmet, kicked up the side stand, turned the key, pressed the brake lever, hit the ignition switch.....NOTHING......looked at the "dash" and saw "CHEC" indicator......keep in mind - I just bought this thing and have no previous experience with them.....so, I assume the worst and start fretting and spitting out expletives right away. Went into the house, got the owners manual, looked up "troubleshooting" .....Jesus....what a waste of time - there were like 35 words total on 1.5 pages to "troubleshoot" my Burgaman. Absolutely no help there....... SOoooooooo - I logged into the this forum and did a search and BAM - multiple posts about others who inadvertently flipped the kill switch.

Praying it was this simple and nothing major wrong with my "new" Burgman, I went back out to the bike returned the switch to the RUN position and it cranked right up.

May all my "issues" with this wonderful bike be this easily solved.

Thanks - Shawn.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
When I returned to riding about 20 years ago, I decided to take a MSF beginners course to get an insurance break. I was surprised to find how little I actually knew about riding a motorcycle. After all, I had been riding all of my life except a 15 year break. Of course back then we all learned either on our own or from other riders. A lot of wrong information. Anyhow, one of the things I learned in the MSF course was to always stop your engine with the kill switch. Doing so accomplished two things:

1) in an emergency you would always automatically reach for the kill switch even in the bike was on it's side and still running.

2) part of starting your bike would involve flipping the kill switch to run before starting your bike. One of the effects would be that you would never have someone flip the switch while you were away from the bike and all the puzzlement that ensues when it won't start.

They also taught us to check to make sure the sidestand is up before moving the bike. Not all bikes have a side stand switch.

All of this made sense to me so I continue to use the methods I learned in this class to this day.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
We've all done it - when I hang my helmet on the bar it almost always hits the kill switch

1 - 20 of 31 Posts