·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

So I recently bought a none starter, a 2005 400cc

Thieves tried to steal it but failed

ignition and horn wires were removed which I’ve since rectified

As it stands, it’s got a brand new battery, full tank of new fuel, and the ignition works

I can hear the pump prime, but when I hit the starter it just tries and tries but never catches, I have a blinking FI light

I’ve removed the spark plug lead and have put a new plug in it against the frame but no spark when tested against the frame

All fuses are present and good

Does anyone have any ideas what to check?

I have this single plug unplugged (See pic) behind the headlight area thats pushing out 12v, but I can’t see anywhere this should be plugged in to, so not sure if this is the cause.

Thanks

·
Registered
714 Posts
Put the plug against the engine, frame has a notorious bad earth.
Have you got a wiring diagram you can check the plug against? Have you cleaned the connecting plug to the ECU

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put the plug against the engine, frame has a notorious bad earth.
Have you got a wiring diagram you can check the plug against? Have you cleaned the connecting plug to the ECU
Thanks, I’ll try the engine instead

I haven’t tried the ECU plug, where is it please?

·
Premium Member
8,033 Posts
catch that fault indicator code, it will help tremendously, there's posts on here to tell you how

·
Premium Member
8,033 Posts
not to worry, had a girl in driver ed (high school, 1975) thought r was for ride, totaled 2 cars, if nobody tells ya, how you sposta know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha

I’ve checked and it shows c00 which I believe is no faults?
I’ve found the ECU and have cleaned the pin contacts with contact cleaner but still the same

tried the spark plug against the engine and still no spark :-(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha

I’ve checked and it shows c00 which I believe is no faults?
I’ve found the ECU and have cleaned the pin contacts with contact cleaner but still the same

tried the spark plug against the engine and still no spark :-(
Burgman where in UK are you?
Lancs

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve tested 12v from the spark plug lead and that’s reading 12v just fine

strange how it won’t spark though!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is it a carb model, orange and black and white ( if it is b/w) were sometimes used for carb heaters not sure why it would be behind headlight tho

·
Registered
116 Posts
So it was only unplugged not ripped out? have you checked that everything else works,all lights etc. They may have popped a fuse somewhere whilst they were attempting to start it

1 - 20 of 52 Posts