Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the weekend I did a post about the wobble in my back wheel and the forum diagnosed the problem as a blown out bearing - allwalk posted some photos that looked all too familiar and I rushed my Burg to a reliable mechanic as fast as I could - yes you heard right - a reliable mechanic. Anyway, the work, including my 12000 KM service, was finished today and the bearings they removed were mashed up! The mechanic called Suzuki and explained that this is the third time he's seen the problem and maybe they should cover the service and they said too bad because I'm out of warranty. The guy even gave me their direct line so I could follow up myself. I told the mechanic to check this site and search bearings because there is more than one of these stories within this forum. The moral of the story is until Suzuki adds a bearing check to the regular service - make sure you check your bearings. And all hail the forum - if it wasn't for this group I would have almost been talked into a new rim and tire by someone who didn't know his stuff.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Yah. Suzuki is dancing away from this one. I think it is dumb too. Somebody is going to get hurt eventually due to this, and they'll eat a lawsuit that will cost them more than if they had recalled all the machines with badly designed wheel bearings. Not to mention loss of customer goodwill. Premature wheel bearing failure on a two wheel vehicle is a definite safety issue I'd think. Wouldn't take a 5 star lawyer to argue that successfully.

At least Honda stepped up to the plate with real recalls for the various production glitches with their Silver Wings. You have to respect that. Suzuki just keeps their head down. That doesn't gain respect. Sooner or later their luck will run out and they'll get nailed good for side stepping their responsibility.

The Burgman 650 and the V-Strom are both innovative machines that are huge fun to ride. I give the Suzuki design team really high marks for producing machines like that. But their product support organization flunks. I wish they'd get it together. They could easily be an excellent company overall if they would just take responsibility for their occasional production line shortcomings.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm with you Pauljo - I love the Burger - I bragg about it - I stop and talk to people who ask questions - but it makes it rather bittersweet when I'm out there riding and recommending it and the manufacturer doesn't care enough to replace a $16.00 part which shouldn't be shot after a year and a bit.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
pauljo said:
Yah. Suzuki is dancing away from this one.

<snip>

They could easily be an excellent company overall if they would just take responsibility for their occasional production line shortcomings.
Paul,

Looks like an excellent post for the Feedback to Suzuki forum. :idea:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Bill,

I'll think about putting a modified version there. Right now however, I just finished a piece of strawberry-rhubarb pie ala mode. That left me feeling fat, dumb and happy. Not the right mode to be in for seriously picking on Suzuki...

I've got to do some work on the V-Strom tomorrow, which probably will put me in the mood. The body panels on that bike are more confusing to deal with than those on the Burgman! And I've got a brake light that seems to be coming on whenever it wants to, and sometimes stays on for miles at a time. I figure it is either an electrical short or an evil spirit - either of which will be difficult to locate.

·
Registered
605 Posts
So I have to ask a silly and dumb question,

If it is such a problem, how does this occur? I would conjecture the bearing get wet and then go downhill from there. So if this is the case, how can one prevent it and if it does occur do you replace the bearings with the same faulty type or do you replace a seal in the front wheel. Good that you bring the problem to light but how about some constructive ideas to help others with steps to check the bearings and fix them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Timothy - this topic is a follow-up to a post asking for assistance from the forum. The solution is clearly stated in my opening post - check your bearings during regular service! I also wanted to thank the forum for their assistance - that's all very positive.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Timothy Ma said:
So I have to ask a silly and dumb question,

If it is such a problem, how does this occur? I would conjecture the bearing get wet and then go downhill from there. So if this is the case, how can one prevent it and if it does occur do you replace the bearings with the same faulty type or do you replace a seal in the front wheel. Good that you bring the problem to light but how about some constructive ideas to help others with steps to check the bearings and fix them.
Whats up Tim? No rhubarb pie or summink :wink: :lol: ?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Tim if you do a lot of riding in the rain then you should check more frequently. All you have to do is put the bike on the center stand and grab the rear wheel. Try moving it from side to side. There should not be any movement what so ever. If you can feel any movement or the tell tale sign of a rusty colour around the seal , then promptly remove the wheel for a visual inspection.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A happy end to my little thread. The Burger is back in action and tight! I had the bearings replaced with the part recommended by allwalk (thanks again, it was nice to tell a mechanic what the problem was and which part to use for the replacement). Even though the beast is running oh so smooth thanks to a third full service, I won't soon shake the feeling I had when the bearings failed - scary stuff. I've posted photos of the offending parts at:

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Bearing-It-All

I wish I had taken a 'before' shot of the halo of rust around the inner rim so folks would know what to look for. None-the-less, keep an eye on your bearings.

Thanks again forum,
ride hard - don't look back

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
Yup, it does look ugly. In regaurds to maintaince, like allwalk says check regularly, however, I do ride in the rain a bit. When the wheel comes off for anything, (new tire, etc.) I inspect closer and add grease if it looks dry. Also by removing the wheel, the seal may get damaged, so be carefull on that.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Holy Barn Burners, Batman!!

Bearings Burnt Beyond Belief? Believe it !
Better Break Bikes to Bones and Stick Suzuki up the..... (beep).

Looking at how one of those bearing balls turned into a glob,, makes me thing of switching out the bearings as soon as a new bike is purchased. But, thankfully, after reading this forum, we know that it would appear that the earlier bikes got ahold of some VERY naughty and cheap bearings. I pray that Suzuki realizes all of these easily corrected problems and prevents their occurrence on the 2005's.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
captainfish said:
I pray that Suzuki realizes all of these easily corrected problems and prevents their occurrence on the 2005's.
I wouldn't bet the farm on it. :wink: I'd keep a eye out for the same issue arising.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Boy those sure are ugly bearings. Seems I caught mine luckily long before they reached the stages of yours. I'm also glad that the failure didnt cause you to suffer an accidenct as a direct result.

Wake up Suzuki before you do get a lawsuit!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
billmeek said:
captainfish said:
I pray that Suzuki realizes all of these easily corrected problems and prevents their occurrence on the 2005's.
I wouldn't bet the farm on it. :wink: I'd keep a eye out for the same issue arising.
Suzuki is very good about correcting design problems and fitting the improved parts to subsequent model years. I'd almost bet that improved bearings hit the assembly line sometime in '04. But I'd certainly keep an eye on the wheel bearings until we know that for sure.

What they are really terrible at is standing behind units that already went out with substandard parts. They don't know what a recall is - and don't want to know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
RE: WOBBLY UPDATE

Thanks everyone for the rear W/B posts. This is good stuff--especially for us new riders.

Suzuki, historically, has had a problem taking responsibility for defective products. Remember the "Samurai" and the lawsuit against Consumer's Union for judging the vehicle "unacceptable" for excessive tipping? That suit was finally resolved after 15 years.

Be safe! Jay Jacobson

·
Registered
969 Posts
Samurai? You're not talking about the 250cc two-stroke twin of the sixties, are you? That was a long time ago.

·
Registered
20 Posts
WOBBLY

Greetings:

No, I'm not refering to a M/C. I mean the very small SUV manufactured by Suzuki Motor Corp in the 80's.

Be Safe! Jay Jacobson

1 - 20 of 30 Posts