Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am adding a trailer hitch to my 06 650 and will be doing the wiring harness soon.

I may solder the joints but I have gotten some good feedback on Posi-Taps.

Does anyone know what gauge of wiring Suzuki uses on the tail light circuits? Posi-Taps are sized for a,specific range of gauges.

Thx.

Blakers

·
Administrator
18,735 Posts
In most cars and motorcycles the manufacture goes the "The cheapest/smallest that will work" route and that is is not good. That said, its 18 gauge. Even the headlights are 18 gauge. I have converted all but my headlights and rear turnsignal bulbs to LED's that take a load off the smaller wiring. My tail/stop light bulbs are 1157 base 48 chiped LED's from SuperBrightLEDS.COM and are very bright and take like 1 watts each, the stock P21/5 bulb is 21 watts on stop and 5 watts on taillight and that change to LED's leaves room for a lot of added on lights for the trailer.

Posi-tap are the only way to go if you don't want to do the slide heatshrink over the wires, tin and twist the wires, solder and shrink the heatshrink. Easely taken apart if needed where soldering requires cutting.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx..

I will order from Twisted Throttle and get a couple of oil filters at the same time

Cheers

·
Registered
709 Posts
18 gauge is good for about 16 amps, more than enough for tailights. Rule of thumb is to never go over 75% of your working wire capacity. You will be adding a slight load to your bikes amperage, but I'm sure you have room for a couple more amps. Led would be better though as those run on milliamperes!

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
...You will be adding a slight load to your bikes amperage, but I'm sure you have room for a couple more amps. Led would be better though as those run on milliamperes!
...this is exactly why I used all LED lights on the luggage trailer
I built to pull behind a motorcycle or 650 scooter....very little
added load to the circuits of the 'cycle....so you don't need
any kind of a special turn-signal flasher.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Good write up by duster. There are some nasty LEDs out there so you have to be careful what you're buying. (been there done that) especially the stuff from China for 4.99. Many are piss poor bright. Have them slap a 12 V to it before you buy it if you can?

LEDs can burn out over time, but they go one at a time, so you have time to repair the LEDs by de soldering one and installing the new one. Believe it or not I've had good luck with RadioShack LEDs. A light emitting diode is polarized so there will be a plus and minus, and you need to establish the polarization and mark the circuit board before you desolder it. You will see on the LED replacement that you have a long leg and a short leg, the long leg is the positive.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
...this is exactly why I used all LED lights on the luggage trailer I built to pull behind a motorcycle or 650 scooter..
Bought a 5 X 8 utility trailer at Lowes Home Centers in '05
to haul my scooter....got tired of having to fuss with taillights
& side marker lights every time I needed to use it. So...I removed
the original lights & wiring, & replaced the complete wiring harness
& installed LED taillights & LED side marker lights. All wiring connections
are soldered & protected with shrink-tubing. It was an all-day project,
but I have not had a single problem since this was done in the Spring
of '06.
Based on this reliability history, I wired the 'cycle luggage trailer the
same way. Since the open-channel frame on the luggage trailer offered
little-to-no protection of the wiring, all the wiring is protected/sleeved
by plastic plumbing tubing, or spirial-wrap. Over-built ?? Maybe.
But I wanted a zero-failure-it-works-every-time-&-every-time reliability.

·
Administrator
18,735 Posts
As the leaders of LED manufactures get better and better, the prices will be coming down with time. Cree make some of the brightest LED's out there but their quality of the household bulbs is not so good. The "Edison Tungsten" bulb has had a great run, time to retire that technology.

I am in the planing stages of building a reverse trike powered by a highly modified Burgman 650 engine. It will also have a cargo/camp trailer for longer trips. ALL lights will be LED!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts