Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I "think" I can do - so tell me if it's possible and reasonable.

I want to add some extra front driving lights, but I want them switch activated. However, I want the switch to have power only when the bike is running and the brights are on.

What I think I can do is run a relay using one of the small wires from the ignition switch (switched power) to activate the relay and then draw power from the battey. That way I can't leave them on by accident.

The only catch I see is that I can't make sure that they are only on when the brights are on. I don't know if it would be good idea to use the stock wire that controls the brights to supply power or to supply power from the battery.

Summary: The new driving lights will only have power when: 1. The bike's brights are on and 2. When I activate a toggle switch.

Thanks,

Bruce

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Your answer is simple actually. The relay uses the input from a source you choose to activate it. Power comes from somewhere else.

I'd connect the relay to the high beam circuit. The easy way to do this, is to splice into a wire going to the high beam under the fairing. Take your power directly off the battery with an inline fuse.

You can get fancier than that, but this will allow the power to go to the extra lights only when the high beam is activated. When you turn off the ignition or have the low beam lights on, the extra lights can't be on.

Chris

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah yes, simplicity. As I often say, simplicity is so under-rated. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts