Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I finally got my VIP trunk. I made my own mount, of wihich now I'm thinking I might just order a givi mount soon. I thought I had the wireing figured out for the stop lights, turn signals. I put extended wires on all wires going to each light, so the wire would reach into the trunk with room to spare. I got the turn signals to work correctly, but each time I tried to get the LED lights on the top bar to work as brake lights, the best I could get was constant blinking lights. Then somehow I blew a fuse. It was the fuse for the turn signals, but let me tell you, blowing that fuse kills most everything on the bike. The only thinig that still worked was the headlights. Thats it.
My question to those who have installed a VIP trunk, can you wire the light bar on the top for brake lights? Also, How did you figure out which wires coming off the burgman did what, as far as lights go? I bought this trunk, partly for all the lights on it, I'd like to be able to use them. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
VIP electrical connections

I installed my VIP box today. I removed the rear panels following the instructions I found in this forum. I did the majority of splicing off the right side lights because the VIP cases wires are on the right. Everything is working great.

I wired it using the following connections.

Blue VIP Wire -- Spliced into the right rear turn signal - Green Burg WIre

Red VIP Wire -- spliced to the left rear turn signal - Black Burg wire

Brwn VIP Wire -- splice to running lights - Grey Burg Wire

Green VIP wire - spliced to ground - Black/White wire

Yel/Green VIP Wire - spice to brake lights - White/Black Burg Wire

·
Registered
5 Posts
VIP Wiring repost.

The wiring is as follows.

Blue VIP Wire -- Spliced into the right rear turn signal - Green Burg WIre

Red VIP Wire -- spliced to the left rear turn signal - Black Burg wire

Brwn VIP Wire -- splice to running lights - Grey Burg Wire

Green VIP wire - spliced to ground - Black/White wire

Yel/Green VIP Wire - spice to brake lights - White/Black Burg Wire

·
Registered
9 Posts
VIP Top Box wiring

I hope that you all have better luck with the VIP lights than I have had. I like the box, it does a fine job and looks great, however the lights are a disappointment. I installed the box early this spring, all went well, including the wiring and lights. Now approx. 3 months later, none of the lights are working. The first circuit to fail was the wing LED's, soon followed by the brake and tail lights. A few weeks ago I did a few checks on the lighting system. While I was performing an autopsy of the system control box, I discovered several chared components inside. At least 3 resistors had failed, which caused all light circuits to stop working. Rather than repairing the controller by replacing the resistors, I replaced the standard LED's with LED auto bulbs. Each side of the box now has a LED bulbs for brake and tail lights. I have not had any additional problems after the rework. Good Luck

·
Registered
857 Posts
Luckdog (and others) - I was able to get my VIP wiring completed, primarily using the instructions above. Thanks!

However, I am confused. What is supposed to light up (or not) when the brakes are applied?

The only thing that I see that happens is that the running lights (the strobe bar at the top) turns off. Is any light on the VIP supposed to turn on when you apply the brakes? I thought the entire box would light up when I hit the brakes, but that's not what happens.

Let me know. Thanks again!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Wiring a VIP box

flintbobbi said:
by "spoiler" I guess you mean the bar across the top that has the strobing back and forth lights?

If so, I wonder what I've done wrong as just the opposite happens - the lights turn off completely. Hmmm. Weird.
Hi!

You have something wired wrong. I wired mine tonight, and everything works! The only thing I did not do was hook up the brown wire to be a running light. I need to do that. For some reason when I tried it they went into their strobe mode and I didn't want that I want them on constant. Looks like I get to take it off again!

Still I Like the box! It looks good and has lots of room! However, i guess I can't fit a single helment into it. Oh well thats what under the seat is for anyway!

Martin
Phoenix

·
Registered
857 Posts
I don't want to fight all the stuff to check my wiring...perhaps down the road a bit.

I barely can get my full size helmet in it and it has to be just right. One old helmet I have won't fit in it - a bit too bigger and a bit more padding on the lower edge.

·
Registered
340 Posts
When are we going to meet up?

flintbobbi said:
I don't want to fight all the stuff to check my wiring...perhaps down the road a bit.

I barely can get my full size helmet in it and it has to be just right. One old helmet I have won't fit in it - a bit too bigger and a bit more padding on the lower edge.
Hey! Since you are in Phoenix, when are we going to meet up?

Martin

·
Registered
340 Posts
Wiring a VIP Trunk

Hello everyone!

Just a note to let everyone know I got the VIP top box installed last night, it went fairly well.

I did have to drill 2 holes to make it match with the holes that go through the back lid behind the seat to the frame. I had already drilled these through the lid because I had a rack on there.

At first I was considering somehow bolting the box to the rack but then decided I didn't like how that would have looked so went straight for bolting it on.

Next was the wiring. I am fairly experienced with wiring stuff like car trailers etc. so know about the color codes and such. This is more a knock on Suzuki than VIP. I would THINK Suzuki would KNOW that a lot of people add these kinds of boxes to their bikes, and would put a small block on the back where you could just plug wires into it! I don't know how others have done it, but I just used clips to tap into the existing wires once I figured out which was which.

To wire the box you have to take off the top piece of the covering the way I did it. I started out thinking that the bottom would have to come off as well to get at where ever the lights all connect in, but then decided that was too big of a pain to do, and went with the clips. It works.

The box now has its own turn signals and brake lights! I LIKE the "wing" on the top back of the box, with the LED's all the way across for an additional brake light up that high, and its BRIGHT! Drivers should have no trouble seeing that.

Its plenty big enough. I could not get my helmet to fit and have the lid close but thats ok. I didn't really buy it to put a helmet in anyway. It should hold coats, gloves, pants, and others stuff no prob.

It looks almost factory installed. I kept the small silver standoffs and rubber grommets in from the rack. I think it gives it a better look.

All in all I would do it again and would recommend the case to anyone. I don't know if the Givi case is easier to install or not. This one can be removed with 2 bolts from the inside.

Martin

·
Registered
857 Posts
Re: When are we going to meet up?

Martin Maxwell said:
flintbobbi said:

Hey! Since you are in Phoenix, when are we going to meet up?

Martin
Hey Martin - sounds like you had no difficulties with the install, and I'd like to see how yours went. Do you have the blue Burgman? I thought the color match between my Blue Burgman and the Blue VIP was moderately poor.

I built my own mounting platform. I'd like to see your setup sometime.

Swamped this weekend with family chores, but i'll pm you my phone # and perhaps we can meet up sometime.

Flint

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just wired up my new VIP trunk and would like to thank Luckdog for his excellent wiring instruction. I followed them exactly and was able to easily wire up the trunk. I even found some crimp on bullet connectors at the local Advance auto parts store that fit on the the connectors on the VIP wires.

For those who might be contemplating a VIP trunk and were possibly not sure how the lights work, I thougt I would describle them for you. I must admit that the lights on the VIP trunk do not work exactly as I was expecting but are still pretty satisfactory. I guess I thought that the left and right turn signal lights would act as running lights and brake lights too and they don't. The LEDs in the spoiler occillate in a back and forth pattern and are the running lights. When you apply the brakes the LEDs in the spoiler stop occillating and go solidly lit. The left and right lights are only turn signal lights and do not light when you brake. Although somewhat unusual, I think the effect of the lights is cool. The occillating LEDs in the spoiler are very noticable day or night and the extra turn signal lights are good too. This set up definitely will not put much of an additional load on the electrical system since the only thing that is on all the time is the occillating LEDs in the spoiler.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hey good doctor- I had difficulty with the wiring - now when I apply the brakes, all lights turn off (on the VIP).

Any idea what I did? I haven't had time to look things over, and am hoping that, since this is fresh on your mind, perhaps you can help.

If not, i'll figure it out. Someday.

Thanks!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Re: When are we going to meet up?

No I didn't have any probs with the setup. I didn't have to build any special platform either. I had 3 metal standoffs from the rack I had there previously that I was able to put the box on with long bolts that go directly into the frame which is already set up for bolting things into on the back of the bike.

My bike is silver, and don't have any probs with color matching. Silver is harder to screw up than blue I think!

Martin

Hey Martin - sounds like you had no difficulties with the install, and I'd like to see how yours went. Do you have the blue Burgman? I thought the color match between my Blue Burgman and the Blue VIP was moderately poor.

I built my own mounting platform. I'd like to see your setup sometime.

Swamped this weekend with family chores, but i'll pm you my phone # and perhaps we can meet up sometime.

Flint

·
Registered
94 Posts
flintbobbi, my advice is to check all the leads with a multimeter.

When I wired mine up I bought some wire and some of those quick splice connectors and ran five wires down to the rear lights area under the rear plastic panel. I used the quick splice connectors to tap into the different colored wires on the Burgman that Luckdog listed. I put a mesh sleve over the five wires and feed the group of them up under the rear edge of the seat into the botom of the VIP. I then put a female grimp-on bullet connector on the end of each of those wires so that I could plug the five wires with male bullet connectors from the VIP into them. Just to be safe, before I plugged each of the wires together and tried the lights, I checked the wire that I had run to the lights with a volt meter to make sure it was the right one.

To do this I turned the ignition switch on and first found the one wire that was hot, which meant it was the running lights and plugged in the VIP running lights wire into it. Then I turned the left turn signal on and found the wire that was oscillating back and forth hot and cold and connected up the left turn signal VIP wire. Then I did the same for the right turn signal and the brakes. When I was done I was certain everything was wired correctly.
You need to disconnect the wires from the VIP from the wires you ran to the lights and do this. If you soldered or crimp connected the wires together solidly you will probably have to buy some removeable connectors and splice them in. This way you can verify each wire before you plug it together....

good luck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts