Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for a ride this sunny day. New Moon; typicall feel fuzzy this aging Jewboy converging on 46. Crossing the ice cream stand rubicon, I realized that I was not sharp and my mind was wandering, my reactions slow, and I was not noticing every little thing in the traffic flow.

I turned around and went home- parked the 650. I did not have the wire in my blood. I started riding when I was 14 - more than one close call due to biorythym anomalies.

So I am alive.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Well I think you did the right thing. If you notice that your heads not there , then park it. At least you'll ride another day and there will be more races to be won.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
allwalk said:
Well I think you did the right thing. If you notice that your heads not there , then park it. At least you'll ride another day and there will be more races to be won.
Then I parked it and left the key on....and drained the battery; more proof of a off day. its on the charger now. Did you know that the trunk light has an off switch?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
abm said:
Did you know that the trunk light has an off switch?
Yep. And mine stays in the off position for those (quite often) times that the seat doesn't latch. I'm not too bad about it when loading items into the trunk, but am horrible about checking it at the end of the day when emptying the trunk.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
abm said:
Then I parked it and left the key on....and drained the battery; more proof of a off day. its on the charger now. Did you know that the trunk light has an off switch?
Yep - and I leave mine switched off all the time. I seldom ride after dark anyway.

I parked outside a convenience store in a small town way out in the country a couple of months ago. In the small country towns out here, these stores provide everything from meals to dry cleaning - they are the local gathering place. I had to park toward the side of the store - the scooter was not visible from inside. I went in, had lunch, and struck up a conversation with a couple of locals - needed a break from riding anyway. Probably spent about an hour inside. I went out, and my scooter seat was sticking up in the air. I guess I hadn't fully latched it, and the seat support rod had pushed the seat up. Nothing had been touched in the trunk, but if I'd had the light switched on, it could have run the battery down.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
The trunk light is a fairly low-wattage bulb. It would take several hours of being on before the battery was drained enough to make starting the engine impossible.

Leaving the "Parking" lights on, on the other hand, can drain the battery quite a bit in just an hour, and leaving the ignition on -- and thus the headlights + tail lights -- in about 30 minutes. (No, I haven't done it...I'm just extrapolating based on battery capacity and lamp consumption.)

If you don't ride much after dark, or don't mind fumbling for the switch when you do, leaving the trunk light off is a reasonable precaution, as is casting a backward glance at the lights every time you walk away.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
seatec said:
abm, when are you comming up to Nova Scotia? was that you that posted the pictures from N S ? Was some one that come over from Maine on the ferry
I am trying to get some time off to make the trip over on the CAT from Bar Harbor. I ve been on the Prince of Fundy from Portland many times - time to try the CAT.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts