Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Burgman 650, Tow Pac trike kit
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without going into a whole lot of excruciating detail, my 2007 Burgman is spending the winter in a shop storage building awaiting a replacement trike kit. I don't know how long this will take. I didn't have a chance to properly winterize it, and the building it's in does not have a place to plug in a battery tender. I plan to take a gas container over to top off the tank and pour in some Seafoam, and take the battery out for the winter. If the repair tech needs it I'll bring it back, otherwise he can push it where he needs it. The shop is over an hour away, otherwise I'd just go in and start it up once a week. What else does it need? Thank you!

·
Premium Member
9,810 Posts
Sounds like you’re doing the best you can, under the circumstances.

If you’re able to run through a tank, it would be nice to have a tankful of ethanol-free gas in there (regardless of whether it’s high octane or not).

Reactions: Carolan

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
If you’re able to run through a tank, it would be nice to have a tankful of ethanol-free gas in there (regardless of whether it’s high octane or not).
Even if you can't replace ALL of the fuel with nonEth, take some to top off the tank. Also, pour in the seafoam and then run the engine for a bit to make sure the gas in the lines get the mix, so it doesn't gunk up in the lines.

I may have learned this lesson the hard way on a carbed bike one year.

·
Premium Member
9,810 Posts
Even if you can't replace ALL of the fuel with nonEth, take some to top off the tank. Also, pour in the seafoam and then run the engine for a bit to make sure the gas in the lines get the mix, so it doesn't gunk up in the lines.

I may have learned this lesson the hard way on a carbed bike one year.
Yep, for the last decade or so, when the end of season is approaching for me, I run nothing but E0 for what may be the last three or four tankfuls, during my day trips. If I'm wrong -- say, the following week or two has an unexpectedly nice day -- I just continue that practice. And for me, that also includes stopping at a gas station three miles from my house that sells E0, on the way home, to top off the tank and throw in some StarTron that I keep on the bike in those final weeks (which has those three miles to mix in).

This way, when it really turns out to have been my last ride of the year, I just park the bike, hook up a smart-charger (which I do, anyway), and both the bike and I hibernate for the winter.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have it on the centerstand so if a tire goes low it will not wreck the tire. This also helps to avoid flat spots
Unfortunately whoever installed the trike kit removed the center stand. I guess I could get a couple of jacks and lift the back end that way.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
No need to "start it up" occasionally over the winter. It serves no purpose. In fact, it's a bad idea unless you bring your ride to full operating temperature. Even then, it still serves no purpose to start it up occasionally.

Full operating temps are required if you do start it up. Otherwise, you create condensation (water) in the exhaust system which if it isn't completely burned off, is one of the essential ingredients for oxidization (rust) to start.

You didn't say if the garage it is being stored in is heated or not. If it is, leave the battery in it and hook up the battery tender. If the garage isn't heated and if it doesn't get below freezing inside the garage, you can do the same. My garage is insulated but not heated and it never drops below freezing .... even when the outside temps hit -18*C (0*F).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No need to "start it up" occasionally over the winter. It serves no purpose. In fact, it's a bad idea unless you bring your ride to full operating temperature. Even then, it still serves no purpose to start it up occasionally.

Full operating temps are required if you do start it up. Otherwise, you create condensation (water) in the exhaust system which if it isn't completely burned off, is one of the essential ingredients for oxidization (rust) to start.

You didn't say if the garage it is being stored in is heated or not. If it is, leave the battery in it and hook up the battery tender. If the garage isn't heated and if it doesn't get below freezing inside the garage, you can do the same. My garage is insulated but not heated and it never drops below freezing .... even when the outside temps hit -18*C (0*F).
To my knowledge, the building is not heated and doesn't have electricity to plug in a tender. I will look into taking the battery out and bringing it home to hook to a tender or at least store it in a warm place.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
After you top it up with gas and Seafoam or Sta-Bil, run it for a few minutes to ensure the mixture makes it way into the FI (fuel injection) system. After that, it's ready for hibernation until you wake it up again.

I'm not super familiar with the Tow Pac set-up but I don't believe it needs any 12v power to operate. However, if the taillights are integral to the TowPac, then the tech will need 12v power to set and test those up correctly for you. Maybe someone with more knowledge about the TowPac set-up will chime in.

BTW - I should have started with this. Welcome aboard the board Carolan. Just a suggestion ... it is useful to fill in your location (i.e. city or region/state) in your profile as some advice provided is climate/geography specific. For example, someone recently posted about the temps dropping to a cold 62*F. That's a beautiful Spring or Autumn riding day temperature in my neck of the woods.

Reactions: Dave_J and Carolan
1 - 9 of 9 Posts