Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I know it may be a sore subject / sad subject .

But when do you Guys and Gals put you Burgmans up for the winter ?

And do some ride all year up north ??

:cool:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Year round. I live in Northern California where we get "all 4 seasons". That does occasionally mean snow and ice, but mostly cold and wet in the winter and 100 plus all summer. Winterizing means getting out my warmer jacket and water proof gloves. Checking my rain gear for holes and getting the water proof cover for my seat ready to use.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I ride mainly "for fun." If it's below 50* its not "fun" for me. I have tested my gear down to 45* and it works fine, so if I ride in to work at 12:30pm when its warmer, but there temp. drops by the time I go home at 9:30pm (second shift) I know the gear is good for it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
In my case, up in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area), it depends on the daytime low temperatures. Once they consistently start dipping below 0C, then it's sweet dreams for the Burg. Frost, black ice and sleet usually follow quickly after that point.

I've done enough rides in borderline conditions to know how worrisome it becomes, even with proper gear. True, riding is a calculated risk but reduced daylight and traction skew the odds in the wrong direction.

Discretion is the better part of valor--and motorcycling. :D

·
Registered
735 Posts
Never. Only time I won't ride it is when it snows or there's ice on the roads. Up here we ride in rain about 10 months out of the year so if you don't want to get wet you don't spend much time on 2 wheels.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Well I know it may be a sore subject / sad subject .

But when do you Guys and Gals put you Burgmans up for the winter ?

And do some ride all year up north ??

:cool:
i dunno about burgmans...but I will put my TMAX away when it becomes unsafe to ride due to ice and/or snow.

So far this year the coldest it has been while riding was 32 in the morning on the way to work. But it was 64 on the way home.

Cold will not stop me. Rain will not stop me. But ice and snow will stop me.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I ride year 'round although, I have to hang it up for one or more days or a week or two if we have had frost or snow. I've ridden as cold as -5F to work but, it's only about 10-15 minutes. I generally don't do much pleasure riding if my gear cannot keep up with the temps. However, that just means I've got more gear to buy (and, I will)!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Have not been out much since the West Virginia run on the Burgman...too busy.

I'll ride whenever conditions on the road are okay....kid will ride the Wee most of the winter if the roads are cleared.
Staff is still riding in tho not far.

The bikes are on battery tenders.

The next two weeks in some areas are going to be brutal.

.a perfect Arctic dipole pattern is emerging...

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/polar-vortex-to-vist-central-u/36890008

read and shiver...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I ride year round, so winterizing the bike means switching from the mesh gear to the winter gear, including electric jacket and glove liners. It does get cold down here, though "winter" really only lasts a couple or three weeks in January.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
All are prepped for winter, stabl and tenders in place, but not ready to pack it in yet . There are still going to be may days above freezing . Even in the dead of winter I try to ride at least one or twice a month . Have not missed a month in 7 years.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Pretty **** good given last years winter. We are just to the north across the lake - I was away in Australia for the worst of it and quite happy to be there....could not believe the tree damage when I got back.

I was here for the ice storm - my trees got hit badly but nowhere near what happened to north of us.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
My scoot i at the dealer being serviced as I write this. Have been waiting for a new rear tire delivery and install. Hope it is ready within the next two days before the first predicted snow hits. I am not a cold winter rider. If I am thinking about how cold it is, I am not concentrating on my riding and those cagers who are aiming for me. North East Ohio could use more global warming. I never thought I would want to move south or be a snowbird but I have achieved that status. I hear it never snows in Uruguay.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Being in Texas, I usually get a ride or two a month even in winter months. I think the longest I've gone since 5 weeks one January/February cold snap.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've lived in three states in three years. I put the Burgy away in early October in Wisconsin, no cold weather gear there. Then put it away in late October in Indiana. Now I live in Central Texas and hope to ride well into December with some cold weather pants/coat. I'm guessing I'll miss riding about a month, mid December to mid January before I'm able to ride again. I just don't want to take any chances on ice riding home at night.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In Phoenix, we could ride year 'round with proper equipment but I'm thinking 50*F in the morning (4am) and 110*F in the afternoon are my personal limits. If it's raining, or likely to, I don't ride.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I'm in Michigan and ride year round , unless there is snow on the roads I ride just about every day . Once you have the right wardrobe and equipment there's nothing to it . When it gets around zero F you'll find your wardrobe weaknesses rather quickly :grin:

TheReaper!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts