Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Burgman 400 "Sylvester" is reposing in our unheated garage for the winter... I've let a bit of air out of his tires, filled the gas tank and put "Stabil" in... A couple of questions...
This is the first water-cooled bike I've had... Is it safe to assume the coolant is protected enuf from freezing? Or should I test it to make sure?
I currently have the battery in the bike, on a Battery Tender Jr. I have also started it once and let it idle for about 20 minutes.
Are any/all of these practices a good idea/necessary/stupid?
Last year, my Rebel and ol' Kawi 440 were kept in a heated shed. The Reb had the battery installed with no tender and I started 'er every couple of weeks. My ol' Kawi was on the tender, and I did the same. Both started up and ran fine in the spring. I'm a little nervous about the unheated garage and the water cooled scoot...The heated shed is now my hubby's workshop. It's not unusual to get double digit below freezing around these parts in the winter... Advice?

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
I keep mine in an unheated garage, at it can get too 10 degrees F.

The coolant should not be an issue on a newer bike. Similar to a car's coolant, it should be checked regularly, and changed every 2 years or so.

I DO keep my tires inflated, so there is no flat spots, espically on the front. There is still some weight on the front, and sitting for longer periods of time, in the cold there will be flat spots.

I take my battery out and keep it in the basement, and charge it about one a month. If you do keep it in the bike, a battery tender is a good idea.

I personally don't like starting it and letting it idle for long periods of time
1st the low oil pressure, plus it really dosen't warm up the drive train.
2nd if it dosen't get really warmed up, condensation can occure leaving water in the engine and exaust. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I agree that you should keep the tires at their normal inflation. I also wouldn't worry about the anti-freeze. My garage is attached to the house, so it gets a bit of heat from that I think. I also have a bunch of lights in there - both standard and flourescent. On the colder Winter days and nights, I leave all the lights on. I've found that they do produce enough heat to make a difference. It is still cold in there - but not as cold as it is outside.

·
Registered
689 Posts
My winter storage is none, my Burg is in a garage and the temp is any where from 45 to 55. So far I have been able to ride at least once a month to keep it in running order. Now we are in January, and February is the bad month for us but as long as I get one day around 45 I will take it out for a 20min ride and there is only three months left or bad cold then it will be riding time again.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Assuming the bike is relatively new, the coolant should be ok. But like Jim said, check it seasonally and change every two years. I've always kept my bikes in an unheated shed and never had any cold weather related problems.
I keep the tires at normal pressure and keep it on the centerstand. The Battery Tender does a great job and will keep the battery charged and safe from freezing. Stabil will keep the gas fresh and keep it from forming deposits in the fuel lines. Just make sure you run the engine for a few minutes after you add the Stabil to the tank to insure the treated gas is throughout the system.
Like Jim, I don't think it's a good idea to run the engine while it's in storage. I think you'll do more harm than good.
Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts