Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it is that time of year up here in the North east. We have had our first snow fall (just over 6 inches). Sand has been put down on the roads and the temps are in the 20's to 40's. Due to the salt/sand that is put down, riding during this time of year around this part of the country is a hazzard. So the bike is gona be put away :cry: . I am looking for suggestions. I do not have a garage, only a water proof cover. so I am thinking of a storage unit. What needs to be preped. I know on my RV, the battery comes out and is placed in the house, weight is taken off the tires somewhat and covered top to bottom. should I run the tank empty? pull the battery? a wooden plank for the front tire to sit on, and the center stand for the rear? bother with a storage unit or is the cover enough for the winter. The bike wont see riding conditions until late april/may when the sand is swept off the streets :cry: :cry: :cry: any input would be great.

thanks
charles

·
Super Moderator
8,072 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I totally agree with Jim's suggestions. If it were my bike, I would go to the trouble/expense of a storage unit. A good cover (one that "breathes") is ok but the bike will still be exposed to a lot of moisture outside that could cause rust/corrosion to the trim, mechanical pieces and electronics.
As Jim stated, use Sta-Bil in the gas tank no matter where you store the bike. When you add the Sta-Bil to the full tank, make sure you run the engine for a few minutes to get the treated gas throughout the fuel system.
Don

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Alternatively do you not have any friends in Arizona? :wink:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
NormanB wrote
Alternatively do you not have any friends in Arizona?
Now that's an original winter storage suggestion, I am almost sure I never heard that one before. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
728 Posts
I top off the tank, turn off the fuel, run the bike till the carbs are empty, but I guess on a burgman thats not an option. Cover it and let it go till spring. Abotu once a month I start it up, let it run for about 15 minutes to keep the battery charged. In all the years that I've been riding, I've never had a problem come spring. I don't believe that gas goes bad as fast as people would lead you to believe. I've never noticed a difference in performance from the gas left over from the year before, and the first new fill up.
Hell, the gas/oil mixture for my chain saw is usually two years old, and still the saw runs great. Same with my gas powered string trimmer. When the gas is gone, I make up a fresh batch, can't say as I notice any difference in how the saw/trimmer run.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
wilder days said:
Hell, the gas/oil mixture for my chain saw is usually two years old, and still the saw runs great. Same with my gas powered string trimmer. When the gas is gone, I make up a fresh batch, can't say as I notice any difference in how the saw/trimmer run.
2-stroke oil blends often contain gas stabilizer. Putting a gas stabilizer like Sta-Bil in the scooter/cycle tank before storing it is a good idea, and it doesn't cost much. I've always done it, and will continue to do so.

·
Registered
689 Posts
My Bike is garage keep and my idea of winter storage is not to. I plan on every three weeks or so to start it up and let it run or bundle up and take it out for a ride a few block in power mode to keep the rpm's up. I also have a jet ski and I never winterize it but do put in fuel additive and a few time over the winter I also take it out of the garage and start it up hock up water and let it run for a while, what I might do is switch the batteries in them as they are the same to keep them both charged.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Heard some stabilizers can ruin the gas. Another way to keep tank dry could be sealing it.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Happy for you, guys. :) But even if you are positive of your experience, not just escaping, why not consider alternative to feeding the engine with some admixtures or loading the scoot with even more weight at the risk of ending up with an entire tank of gasoline on the floor?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Because I keep my bikes ready to ride throughout the Winter, and I do get out on them occasionally. Chances of a gas tank leak are extremely remote - no worse than during the rest of the year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts