Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I can attest panty hose works wonders for heat retention. Learned that trick playing ice hockey in high school.

And I was going to ask about the Termoscud covers.

Has anyone here used one?

I am highly intrigued by the concept.

Keeps the wind and wet off. And it seems like it would retain some of the heat from the engine? At least a little maybe?

· Registered
124 Posts
In Paris, France I observed scooter riders using an “Apron” or I’d call a lap blanket .

It wasn’t really that cold either.

I first saw them in Paris as well. They are everywhere and Parisian's ride in every sort of weather. I just ordered one from Urbanrider.co.uk for $99 US plus $17 shipping. Anyway, I hope to extend my riding period a month or two on both ends. January and February will still be off limits but I think I can start spring riding a little sooner and ride into early winter in relative comfort. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

They are very common in North European cities (not U.K. where they are considered too girly, but starting to be used more). Very warm indeed on bikes with heat bents in the tunnel.

As well as warmth, they keep rain off the everyday/work clothes so lots of people leave them on year round. Also a bit of aerodynamic advantage but I don’t think anybody uses them for that apart from a handful of hypermilers.

· Registered
17 Posts
This year I added a Tucano Urbano Thermoscud to both of my bikes (Burg 650 & WeeStrom) and my wifes Burg 400 to ride year round in Chicago. BIG world of difference as far as weather protection/cold weather riding as I commute approx 150 miles (mixed highway/surface streets) every (no ice) day and she commutes about 20 miles per day just on surface streets.

(Burgman specific thoughts)

The good:
  1. Takes about 30 minutes (tops) to unpack and attach to the Burg with fitting and adjustments. Only a Phillips screwdriver is required for assembly.
  2. Keeps the wind off your legs/feet to the point you could wear regular jeans and hiking boots depending on your cold tolerance.
  3. You do "feel" a bit of trapped engine heat on longer runs which helps.
  4. Keeps the rain/snow off your legs while riding.
  5. Keeps the rain/snow off you seat at stops.
  6. Keeps you riding way past the typical "riding season" and the GIGGLE and GRIN factor is worth the money...especially when you ride past your other riding friends sitting in the CAGE.
  7. ...it is surreal the 1st time you ride in (non-sticking) snow flurries! Its like being in a gigantic snow globe!
The (no so) bad:
  1. It does take a little bit to get the cover adjusted at the bottom front so it does not flap at highway speed (50 mph +)
  2. Adding the protective clear film to the plastics to prevent scratching where the straps make contact.
  3. Remembering to slide your left foot BACK a bit before putting it down (especially) if you ride in the feet forward position.
Also, sticking to the topic, get yourself a pair of WINDPROOF gloves. We both have Seirus Hyperlite All Weather gloves and Oxford heated grips to keep our hands warm. While they lack armor, they are better than having nothing on your hands.

Another option is to add the Tucano Urbano R363X Scooter Handlebar Muffs. I have a pair on my Wee and other than getting used to NOT seeing your hand controls, they are well worth the money. Warm/DRY hands!

IF you wear a full face helmet, a Windjammer 2 Pro Tour helmet skirt will keep the wind off your neck and your visor fog free(-ish) without a pin-lock insert. Stays on your helmet with a grip band.

IF you wear a 3/4 helmet, a WINDPROOF balaclava is your best bet though you will have "helmet hair" when you are done riding. Make sure you get one that is thin enough to fit under your regular helmet. Otherwise, a windproof gaiter works well for short trips.

IF you live in a helmet free state like we do, I have seen one of the liquor-sickle scooter riding guys here wearing a Winter Faux Fur Outdoor Trapper Cap Ushanka Russian Hats with Windproof Facemask to keep his head and face warm in the winter.

In all, for less than $200-ish total you can extend your riding well into the colder months. The big key is to protect your exposed skin from the cold to prevent frostbite. From there, its all depends on your tolerance for being slightly uncomfortable (cold) when riding.

It does take a different mindset to ride when its cold out so remember, IF your focused on how cold you are, you're not paying attention to riding!

FWIW...

· Premium Member
5,168 Posts
drphilld,

My Thumbs Up falls short in expressing my gratitude for your superb write up on Winter Riding Gear . Kudos and I look forward to your future write ups.

PS You might consider Heat Shrink Tubing to help in covering the parts that might scratch.

PSS
As you can see your post has created interest...maybe you could shoot a pic of it on the the B400 and B650 and create a much needed thread for our North American Riders in Aftermarket Accessories with the heading of Tucano Urbano Thermoscud.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.