Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the north east US (NYC to be specific) and plan to ride during the winter, provided there is no adverse weather.

If any of you ride in the winter, what tires do you recommend?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I ride all winter long as long as the roads are dry and I use the same stock OEM tires . The only thing that stops me from riding is snow and ice .

TheReaper!

·
Administrator
18,734 Posts
There is not a good all season motorcycle tire that will fit the Burgman. SOME of us all year riders that live up north have gone to using a Car Tire on the rear with excellent results.

With any tire when you hit black ice and you try to lean around a corner, you will go down in a slide.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I consider my OEM tires to be '3-season' tires...
just not winter/snow/ice tires...:booty:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Cliff I think "winter" is that time of year when the days get shorter and we don't sweat as much. :p Also all those snowbirds that talk funny come down here.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I admire northerners who ride all year long. I live in southern Pennsylvania and I took a 16 mile ride last week and froze - it was 44 degrees F. After having a H-D that wouldn't start if the temp was much below 60, I was delighted that my 650 Burgy started right up - what a joy this thing is.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I took a 16 mile ride last week and froze - it was 44 degrees F.
One of the things I use to keep warm in 'colder' weather..
www.kneenecks.com
I use the shorter wraps for the lower leg...had'em for
5 or 6 years. They work great, when I don't need to
wear my WALLs insulated nylon bib-overalls....which are
similiar to the Carhart line of outdoor work clothes.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My OEM tires work great in the wet, including a few commutes with unusual torrential rain. That's one reason I keep using the TH01's. If I'm heading into our wet season I also won't run the tread past the wear bars at all. You need some tread depth to pump out the water. I haven't been on them in <50 degree weather though so I don't know how they handle when freezing cold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just seen this thread, but for the last two years I have used Metzeler Feelfree Wintecs they are ultra soft and I have used them regularly in temperatures down to 35F. I even rode in to a car park one day to find it was covered in ice (could explain why it was nearly empty) I managed a gentle U turn and rode out without a single slip. They do however start to wear really quick once the weather gets above 50F.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts