Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Winter gloves that are not warm enough

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  DougInKY 
#1 ·
While at the motorcycle show in Orlando, FL. last week I stopped at the HELD glove display. I live in Florida and the winters are mild but the temps do sometime get down to the mid 30's. My finger tips start to hurt when the temps drop below 45 F. He said if I already have a quality pair of gloves try pushing cotton balls up into the end where the fingers go. It might be worth a try.

#2 ·
Totally bogus advice. For a quick fix I put on a pair of latex gloves under my riding gloves, that I usually have in my repair kit or at home. The wind block is a lot better than cotton, and I ride as long as the roads are clear and the bike starts. Usually good to 14F here in Indiana.

Hey at least we don't have those May flys. !

#3 ·
Leather gloves with a lightweight liner glove is far superior to bulky insulated gloves until you get down to or below zero. And you have better "feel" and control. I prefer polypropylene liners over wool because wool stays damp longer. Silk is great, but $$$$$

#4 ·
while at the motorcycle show in orlando, fl. Last week i stopped at the held glove display. I live in florida and the winters are mild but the temps do sometime get down to the mid 30's. My finger tips start to hurt when the temps drop below 45 f. He said if i already have a quality pair of gloves try pushing cotton balls up into the end where the fingers go. It might be worth a try.
change to mittens..................;);)

#5 ·
Let all your fingers party naked together. :D Mittens are my choice when I am commuting at 30 degrees or less. A little awkward getting on the brakes when you are use to two fingering them.

#6 ·
My big issue with gloves is that the heavier they are,the more trouble I have with things like turn controls, horn and so on.. I have to be careful when letting off the throttle to be sure that I move my hand away so the throttle will back down as much as I expected..

#7 ·
until 50F i use these ones that basically give you water/wind proof protection and come with an inner polar glove, it feels like two gloves, pretty warm.

below 30 I use Gerbings T5 electric gloves.

#8 ·
Update for those who care..........I get elk/deerhide work gloves with reinforced palm and thumb at a local hardware/lumber yard. The polyprop liners come from the local backpacking/hiking store. Ugly neon blue - but warm. I'd say try Home Depot/Lowes etc and your nearby sporting goods store that is heavy into backpacking/hiking.

#9 ·
#11 ·
Gloves

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2012JanGloves.pdf
Here at the retirement home, we have been dealing with cold weather gloves for more than 50 years......current preference is for First Gear Navigators, as they are the best rain gloves we have ever used and do very well for cold weather riding well into the 30 degree range....gauntlets are long enough to prevent up-the-arm leaks and drafts.....
For colder weather, I usually add a thin, silk or other cloth inner glove and stay warm.....this setup minimizes the amount of stuff I have to carry when touring and never leaves me unprepared.....
Cold weather comfort also depends on the amount of wind protection your bike has from the fairing/windscreen/mirrors/bark busters, etc......
During my time in the witness protection program in Northern Minnesota when we did lots of snowmobiling, good mittens were always the "hot" setup......

TW

#12 ·
I have a pair of Harley-Davidson winter riding gloves. They work well down to about 40-45 degrees. Below that I put in glove liners. I have PAD (peripheral artery disease), Rheumatoid Arthritis, and Diabetes so my hands are very cold sensitive. Even with all these problems these gloves work well for me. They were a little pricy being from Harley-Davidson but well worth the $85 I paid for them.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.