Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen numerous references on this site about Clearview Windshields for the Burgman scooters, however, when I went to their site they did not show either Burgman (400 or 650) among the Suzuki bikes they make windshields for. Am I going to the wrong place?

Also a number of posters have referenced Clearview windshields with vents, like the ones on goldwings, and how effective they are in reducing back pressure behind the windscreen. On the last ride I went on with my Burgman 400, here in Southern Arizona, I was cleaning bugs off my windshield at every stop. How difficlult is it to clean the bugs off (and out of) the vents in the windshield. Seems like it would be a royal pain.

My final question about windshields is that I have seen a number of references to adjustable windshilds on the 2005 Executive models. Not just adjustable, like the ones on goldwings, but electronically adjustable, likes the ones on the R1200LT BMW touring bike. Any truth to this rumor?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I can't speak for the 650 or address your other issues, but the Clearview for the 400 is not yet available at this time. I wish it was; if so, I'd own one!

·
Registered
728 Posts
The Givi windsheild has a wee bit more protection for your hands, but I velieve it only comes in one size, and doesn't offer a vent. Teh Clearview is thicker, meaning it won't flex as much at high speeds. It also comes in 4 sizes. Now, as for the vent. Yes, I've heard from goldwing riders that is it a bug catcher, and a bit of a pain to keep clean, but I'm looking at getting it 'cause I figure, I'd rather have it if I want fresh air then to wish I had it and don't. If I don't need it, then I'll leave it closed. As for cleaning it, I'm giving up an intruder with tons of chrome and a million places that have to be cleaned, waxed and polished on a regualr basis. If now, all I ahve to deal with is cleaning bugs off a small air vent, then thats not a problem at all. Cleaning and waxing the burgman will be a piece of cake, quick and easy. Cleaning and waxing a bike with tons of chrome and the whole engine to keep lookiing good took hours and alot of hard work. **** near like owning a Harley and having to wrench it everytime you want to go riding... :lol:
Just my 2 cents on the subject.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The Burgman 650 windshield has never been shown on the Clearview website even though they have made it since 2003. Neither the Clearview or Givi windshield flex - they are both substantial thicknesses. However, the Givi I had APPEARED to flex - a lot - every time it took a strong frontal blast of wind. Drove me nuts. It is due to its shape, which gives the wind more downward leverage on it, and although the shield material doesn't flex, the entire shield rocks on the flexible rubber mounting nuts that attach it to the scooter. In my opinion, it is poorly engineered due to the amount of movement, and the amount of backdraft it generates. The Clearview shields are better in both areas - and optically clearer. But Clearview cannot seem to get their act together on putting a shield for the AN400 into production. I have no experience with an AN400, so perhaps the 400 shield is less affected by the fore & aft movement issue (the 400 has a different mounting system I think). But the backdraft issue has been mentioned by 400 riders occasionally.

·
Registered
90 Posts
"My final question about windshields is that I have seen a number of references to adjustable windshilds on the 2005 Executive models"
From Terry

I believe that somewhere on this site are pictures from a Polish motorcycle show where there is a shot of an Executive with that adjustable shield. I just cannot find it right now, maybe some else knows?

Or am I totaly out to lunch? :oops:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Clearview doesn't have a shield for the Burgman 400 yet. They still trying to locate someone local to work with designing the shield and need the bike there for fitting. The Givi on the 400 does appear to flex, has considerable backpressure at higher speed, is not uniform in shape (the 'wings' have different curves on mine), and does not shed rain well. Even given these faults, I prefer using it to the stock shield for the wind protection and the much quieter ride it provides.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Burgman 650 K5 (2005) model does have an electric adjustable windscreen, and it is ruddy magic. :D Had a drive on one around 4 weeks ago and it really does solve a lot of noise backpressure problems. This is only on the Executive model, but as this will soon be the only model available what the hell, not keen on the ABS though and the extra shiny bits. 8) 8)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Terry wrote (snipped)
I was cleaning bugs off my windshield at every stop. How difficlult is it to clean the bugs off (and out of) the vents in the windshield. Seems like it would be a royal pain.
Yes it is a pain, but at least you can stuff rags behind the shield and hit it with a hose or high pressure cleaner.
8) Maybe rig up a removable screen in front of the vents for the worst time of the year.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hey BillMeek, Pauljo
or anyone,

I can see how a larger windscreen can catch more wind, and thus flex a bit more. But, that said, if this screen catches more wind, then how come the rain does not blow off of it? How come it has a rain problem?

After my little ride with no gloves the other day. I can really see the need for some wind protection. But, I do NOT want to suffer from the fogging and blinding water drops that others have experienced.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I finally got my new '05 blue burgman yesterday. When I got it home, I put a coat of wax on it. I decided to wax the windshield also. When I went to wipe the wax off the windshield, I noticed it was EXTREMELY staticy. so much so, I had a hard time keeping the wax dust off it along with cloth fuzz. I'm wondering if the static is why the rain doesn't run off easily?
The new blue is real pretty in the sunlight. I'll be posting pictures soon.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
captainfish said:
if this screen catches more wind, then how come the rain does not blow off of it?
The design of the windshield causes an air pocket in the middle of the shield where no air is actually flowing on to the shield itself but is flowing above it. I've cleaned the new Givi using Honda cleaner (generically branded) with no difference in how rain stays on the shield. I can sit up very straight and see over the Givi so it's not too big of issue for me. You can cut the Givi down to make it easier to see over.

·
Registered
761 Posts
For me, having grown up in Oklahoma and ridden 2-wheelers all year long, I like to hide behind a windscreen, thus taking the direct windchill off of me.

I would want to have the same thing for Blue Hornet. I want to have the ability to hide behind the screen AND still see through it during less than desirable weather conditions.

I guess I can kind of see this. When a person puts on a bug shield on the front of the trucks, it changes the delivery of air to the windshield. Now, the air is lifted up higher on the windshield and sometimes causes a downward air blast leading to wiper-skip.

Is there that much of a nose on this bike to cause the air to skip over the bottom of the windscreens aimed toward the head of the rider, thus creating this air pocket on the screen?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I don't know _why_ it's there; to me it's a matter of terrible design. But the air pocket most definitely _is_ there, on both the Givi and factory windscreens. On the factory unit it doesn't matter so much, since one looks over it (and thereby takes the wind blast right in the fact). On the Givi, however, while the wind blast is very nicely redirected over one's head, the air pocket is directly in front of the rider's eyes. At night, in headlights and rain, this is totally blinding and _exceedingly_ dangerous.

I'm currently having a Givi cut down 1.5", but I frankly have little faith in this solution. Based on a little experimentation, I suspect this will result in my experiencing both unacceptable wind blast _and_ poor visibility in the rain. However, I'm desperate enough to make the attempt anyway. _Every_ solution, at this point, is unacceptable.

On another note, earlier in this thread I mentioned a product I bought from an aviation outlet. It did not work. While it does indeed make the plastic windscreen shed water better, the triple-cursed air pocket is simply too strong to be overcome. I suspect that with a properly-designed windscreen, this product would be a good rain-shedder. Therefore, I'm not naming it, becasue I don't wish to say bad things about it that it does not deserve.

Now the air-pocket designers, that's another story! I'll say bad things about them all day long! And not repeat myself, either!

My _heavens_, what I wouldn't give for a good windshield wiper!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Having had a better look at the K5 650 Exec. From the outside the frame looks the same, With the exception of the moulding in front of the instruments behind the windshield. It looks like it could be possible to retro fit the new electric windshield from the K5 to the K4 or K3 without too much hassle. The only problem if the dims are the same is, where to put the control switch, which is where the 4 way flashers are on the older Burgers. As the Suzuki dealers seem to be a lot friendlier over there than they are over here, 'ows about asking the question if it's possible or not ? 8) 8)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts