Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of talk on here about turbulence behind the stock windshield and then even some about it with the Clearview and the Givi. I don't seem to have any problems with my stock windshield. At any speed! I think my helmet has a lot to do with it. I did have a modular helmet when I had my cruiser. It worked just fine behind that windshield. But when I got my 650 Executive it became useless. The wind grabbed it an my head felt like I was a bobble head doll. I purchased a Shoei X-11 and have absolutely no issues. I can have full wind or deplete it by raising the windshield and it works perfectly. I can look sideways and it never gets grabbed by the wind. I purchased a Fulmer U1 Urban Pilot for when it is nice and dry and warm out. It does not give me any problems either. I have a KBC half helmet that wants to pull off my head in the wind turbulence. I would suggest that if a person is having that much trouble with the turbulence, you might test out a few different styles and brands of helmets. If I were to need to upgrade a windshield or a helmet to smooth out the ride.....I would choose the helmet just out of safety reasons. Just my 2 cents. (Oh...I have actually held a Shuebert in my hand but did not bother to put it on. Super nice! But at $725 it is not ready for me yet);)

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
A lot of talk on here about turbulence behind the stock windshield and then even some about it with the Clearview and the Givi. I don't seem to have any problems with my stock windshield. At any speed! I think my helmet has a lot to do with it. I did have a modular helmet when I had my cruiser. It worked just fine behind that windshield. But when I got my 650 Executive it became useless. The wind grabbed it an my head felt like I was a bobble head doll. I purchased a Shoei X-11 and have absolutely no issues. I can have full wind or deplete it by raising the windshield and it works perfectly. I can look sideways and it never gets grabbed by the wind. I purchased a Fulmer U1 Urban Pilot for when it is nice and dry and warm out. It does not give me any problems either. I have a KBC half helmet that wants to pull off my head in the wind turbulence. I would suggest that if a person is having that much trouble with the turbulence, you might test out a few different styles and brands of helmets. If I were to need to upgrade a windshield or a helmet to smooth out the ride.....I would choose the helmet just out of safety reasons. Just my 2 cents. (Oh...I have actually held a Shuebert in my hand but did not bother to put it on. Super nice! But at $725 it is not ready for me yet);)
Have Shoei Neotec and have no problem at all also. When ride through town or village often lift up modular section completely then forget it open and realize this only when get back up to 50-55mph.

·
Registered
314 Posts
How tall are you? Maybe that factors into the wind noise. I am 5,8" and the buffeting and noise was real bad. Mostly it was the noise the was bothering me. It never occured to me to try different helmets.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Chappy, I agree with you that helmet design helps. I would like to add my 2 cents from my experence. Currenty, I own 3 scooters and 6 helmets some fullface and some 1/2 design. I don't have the bobble head with any of them riding my scooters. But I did have to purchase the tall windscreens to keep the wind from hitting me directly at the visor level. What I notice most about my helmets is that some are much more quite. My Icon is so quite that ear plugs would be a waste of time.
However, back when I was riding my Honda Shadow, nothing I tried would completely remove helmet shake, with these same helmets. My bike had the Memphis Fats screen and I bought 2 different heights, I added lowers also that helped, but NOTHING completely fixed it.
I think what removes it from my scooters is that all have a high pressure vent below the screen that forces air behind the screen. I notice that most bikes that have that feature don't seem to have the problem.
Regards, Tom

·
Registered
220 Posts
I ride with the stock windshield on my Burgman 650, and wear different helmets for the riding occasion. I normally ride with a 3/4 helmet in town or just running to the store, that is speeds below the 40-50 range, but if I'm hitting the open road for a long ride it's a full face for sure and not all full faces are the same, this is where you have to find the one for you. Since I ride other bikes and some don't have windshields, I find that the proper riding attire is a must, do your homework a get what works for you.

John

·
Registered
68 Posts
Having only driven the Burgman once (so far) at highway speeds... Although on a 200 mile trip bringing it home... I definitely noticed the wind noise in my helmet... It is a Shoei GT Air and on my ZX-6 is very quiet out in the full rush of air, but behind the wind screen on the Burgman I was wishing I had a pair of ear plugs to reduce the deafening noise. I'm 6’1" but my 5'2" wife made the same comment about wind noise in her Shoei RF-1100.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I wanted a better windshield not just for a quieter ride, but more wind protection as well. My new Clearview XL gives me that in spades. Much warmer now and as I live in Idaho that is a Very Good Thing!

And it has the five position vent just like my Goldwing has so when the weather warms again I can still get a cool breeze on me.

And on those wonderful warm days when I feel like a little spin without my helmet (I know- not smart) I sure do appreciate how much more quiet my Clearview is over the OEM. I made a good choice making the swap.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I would suggest that if a person is having that much trouble with the turbulence, you might test out a few different styles and brands of helmets.
I would be very grateful if you would tell me how this might be accomplished. :confused:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I would be very grateful if you would tell me how this might be accomplished. :confused:
If you go to a local bike night and start asking about helmets, everyone will be happy to give you their opinion and most folks will let you try theirs on for size.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cycle Gear has some kind of a helmet exchange if you buy from them, that is if you are unhappy with a helmet you can bring it back. I have no idea how this works, you could look on their website and get the details.

John

·
Registered
68 Posts
Cycle Gear has some kind of a helmet exchange if you buy from them, that is if you are unhappy with a helmet you can bring it back. I have no idea how this works, you could look on their website and get the details.

John
Not valid if the helmet has been worn while riding... It's only for if the size is wrong... Basically any indication that you did anything but put it on and take it off and you can't return.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm 183cm tall, 34" 86.5cm in-seam. Turbulence on either of my AN650 execs is a non-issue. I tend to ride with one of several modular helmets, HJC IS-Max, Nolan N43 air, or mostly one of my Shark Evoline S-II's. The K3 and K7 execs have OEM screens. The K3 being one of the first model execs has the fixed screen so there is a little more wind in the eyes, compared to the K7 screen, which I tend to ride adjusted to around 10mm increase in ride height. Works for me, while the K3 does direct more wind in the eyes/face I simply adjust my helmet visor down accordingly to accommodate for this on the K3. I'm a happy camper with both OEM screens though I would like the adjustable screen on the K3.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If you go to a local bike night and start asking about helmets, everyone will be happy to give you their opinion and most folks will let you try theirs on for size.
Strap other riders' fetid and sweaty helmets on MY head? I don't think so. On second thoughts maybe that would work if I wore a thin balaclava and the helmets were of the correct size. And then what about if you are a Billy-no-mates and don't belong to any bike clubs? No, the answer lies with the helmet manufacturers who should provide a suitable trial system. And while we are on the subject there should be a replacement service in law for helmets over the recommended 6 years old. :(

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
?........... and while we are on the subject there should be a replacement service in law for helmets over the recommended 6 years old. :(
I believe this law already exists for those who riders who choose not to wear a helmet. I'm pretty certain that after 6 years - sometimes even less - helmetless riders replace their non-helmet with a fresh new non-helmet. ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
bkfist, That's what I was getting with the stock shields. I bought taller ones that I can still see over, but only about an inch, and it directs the air and lot's of the noise above. I would get up to speed and then lean down and forward to kinda see the difference.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
And then what about if you are a Billy-no-mates and don't belong to any bike clubs?
Maybe it's different over there. Here in Florida there are bike nights all over the place every night of the week. Chain restaurants are located in strip shopping centers and have huge empty parking lots at suppertime. All you have to do to be welcome is to arrive and participate in the fun.

http://scooterschedule.com/bikenights.htm

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I suppose I should have stated in the beginning of this post that I am 69" tall and have a 31" inseam. Also I am nearly deaf in some tone ranges and totally in others and in volume generally just extremely hard of hearing. So, wind noise does not become an issue for me. Also, it would be hard for people to allow me or Peelbrow to try on their helmets if we in any way resemble our avitars. I suspect I will search for more improved riding in the future with a new shield or an added vent or an added deflector on top of the shield. The helmet is just one step in the right direction. But to totally remove the wind noise or turbulence?... I may as well get in the cage and roll up the windows.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
it would be hard for people to allow me or Peelbrow to try on their helmets if we in any way resemble our avitars.
Well, I don't smoke for one thing but I like a moderate tipple or two. Nor do I wear goggles (though I did in the early days). My nose is not as sharp either. Otherwise it's not a bad likeness and is most certainly film-star material, wouldn't you say?

PS: Re: Isiah 40.31 ONLY science can do that. ;)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I think that there are some people who should stick to driving - cars...no wind or noise at all.......

·
Registered
753 Posts
I think that there are some people who should stick to driving - cars...no wind or noise at all.......
Obviously, you have not been in my 18 year old 4X4 pickup truck or my 15 year old car! ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts