Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my mini-review of the 2015 Clearview windshield and a little background.

I have a 2013 Burgman 650 (bought it new) and of course wanted to buy all the accessories I could :) So I started out by buying Givi panniers, Top case, and windshield. I love all 3 cases, but the windshield is where I had a problem. It's not bad when cruising at around 65-70mph but I live in SoCal, and sometimes when I commute to work on the burgman, I have to ride on the 405 freeway... Yeah, if that doesn't suck enough, but you'll get ran over if you're not flowing with traffic at about 80mph until you hit the gridlock near the 405 and 101. At 80mph, with the Givi windshield, it feels very turbulent and the windshield is bouncing back and fourth from the pressure. Plus the wind is very loud. So if riding at 80mph surrounded by traffic isn't stressful enough, you have the wind howling like a banchee and your helmet is getting pushed back and fourth with the turbulence. I think the ideal speed for the Givi windshield on the Burgman is about 60mph. Also, the windshield is clear with no visible distortion that I have noticed.

Don't get me wrong, the Givi is far superior to the stock windshield, just not up to par for my needs.

So I thought I would try a Clearview as a last resort before I sold my Burgman, to find something more solid at higher speeds. I had to wait almost a month for the Clearview to arrive because the make them to order. It was an easy install, just as the Givi was, and I also purchased the Clearview with a vent. I ordered an XL windshield and I am 5'9. I have an Air Hawk seat cushion, so I do sit about 1-2 inches higher than the stock seat.

I took a cruise today specifically to ride at about 80mph for a while to feel the difference. Hands down, it was a quieter, non-turbulent, solid ride. If the windshield is all the way up, I look through it, and if it's about halfway down and further, I look over it. I prefer to look over it for the clarity. The vent really didn't make that much difference, but I have a big 7" GPS in front of it, so that's probably why I didn't feel the breeze. It's way quieter than then the Givi also and I feel cool air ramming into my helmet air ducts, which I didn't feel at all with the Givi.

I only have one grip with the Clearview, and it's pretty substantial. If I want to ride in the most quietest position, with the windshield all the way up, I have to look directly through the part of the windshield that has a little lip in it to help push air over you. That distorts my vision and almost makes me feel like i'm cross-eyed. The only thing I can do is either slouch like a Harley rider (LOL), so I can look through the windshield below the crease, or slid it down more to look over the windshield.

I plan on keeping the Clearview and testing it on longer rides, and will definitely sell the Givi windshield.

I hope this helps someone. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

-Eric

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Generally matches my view of the Clearview, I also sold my Givi but I'm very surprised at 5' 9 you got the excel when the Medium is already 1.5" higher than stock.

I find notching medium the screen up half an inch lets me see over and still direct windflow above the helmet for a quiet ride.

I cannot imagine riding looking through a screen and consider it unsafe practice.

Riders should see what vision level they are comfortable at with the stock and order according to that knowing the Clearview STARTS 1.5" taller.

A number of riders have ended up needing to cut down what they ordered.....
So take it slow...rest assured you'll get a quality product but it's up to you to get the right size.
Talk to their support ...they are knowledeable and can help you decide. My guess is 5 11 and up will benefit from the taller screen if you want it centred at nose level as I do.
I need to look as close to the front wheel as possible on rough roads and pushing it in the twists.

I can state the slightly tinted screen is nice without in any way interfering with vision....that was a pleasant surprise.

I'm also not certain on the vent but do think it reduces screen shake from back wash buffetting at speed....something I was looking for.

Taping a cutout bit of cardboard to match the Clearview screen dimensions in height to the top of the existing screen will help.
Width on them is fixed 3.5" wider and a very good improvement especially for cold weather

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the Givi, I couldn't really look over it. It was just too tall, but it only came in one size. I measured the Givi and compared to the dimensions of the Clearview XL, and based on the measurements, I knew I could look over it, so that's why I went with the XL. As I mentioned, I have an Airhawk air cushion gel seat pad that gives me another 1-2 inches of height, so I think that helps seeing over the XL.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
With the Givi, I couldn't really look over it. It was just too tall, but it only came in one size. I measured the Givi and compared to the dimensions of the Clearview XL, and based on the measurements, I knew I could look over it, so that's why I went with the XL. As I mentioned, I have an Airhawk air cushion gel seat pad that gives me another 1-2 inches of height, so I think that helps seeing over the XL.
The Airhawk seat cushion should only be inflated enough to get you maybe a quarter inch off the seat; it should be almost flat for maximum comfort.

But if like the extra height, go for it!

Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>I'm very surprised at 5' 9 you got the excel when the Medium is already 1.5" higher than stock.<<

I agree. I'm 5'11 and the Medium works just fine for me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
>>I'm very surprised at 5' 9 you got the excel when the Medium is already 1.5" higher than stock.<<

I agree. I'm 5'11 and the Medium works just fine for me.
He may have a long torso. I love my XL Clearview, just wish I got it sooner.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yeah - definitely possible...we come in all shapes....luckily windscreens don't have "too round" as a metric ;)
Very pleased with the CLearview witrh the vent.
For some reason the one I got seems squarer than the ventless one it replaced and I prefer that squared off style.

The Givi was way too rounded for me. I generally like their gear but I think Clearview is the ticket in screens for Burgmans.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty proportional in leg to torso ratio, just not in height to weight..lol... Anyway, I may have exaggerated a little on how much the Air Hawk seat cushion gets me off the seat... I never actually measured it... But I ordered the Clearview XL because it measured shorter than the Givi. I rode looking through the Givi all the time and I really didn't like that. Now, I can ride looking over the Clearview when it's about at the middle setting. Much better to look over than through. Now I can see the road like when I used to ride sport bikes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have heard from various riders(different boards) that the Clearview flexes quite a bit while riding at highway(70mph +) speeds. Have you guys that have them found that?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have heard from various riders(different boards) that the Clearview flexes quite a bit while riding at highway(70mph +) speeds. Have you guys that have them found that?
My XL does move around from turbulence, this is expected as it's a large windshield that's shaped differently then the stock windshield. I never felt the amount of movement was excessive.

The Clearview does it's job well, I'd buy another one if I need it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Flexing

I have a vented XXL(kept in LOW position) and rode triple digits for 20+ miles. It did some flexing but it was the least of my worries.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I special ordered the vented XXL from Clearview. This shield should only be used in the LOW position at highway+ speeds. At 6'4" the XXL is the perfect for man and machine. Clearview is a great company to do business with. I'm very happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just for comparison ... I have a Givi on my 2012 650 Executive and have some of the same observations as many on this board. Perhaps some different ones.

I bought the Givi primarily for protection from the weather (rain/cold) in the fall / winter season. The Givi's hand protection and lower cost was what ultimately steered me away from the Clearview.

My observations ... I'm 5'11" but with a 33" inseam so my sitting height is a little lower than some my height. In the lowest position, I can see over the Givi, but not by much. Having said that, I get surprisingly little distortion looking through the windshield. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how good the look-through is. Not my preference, but acceptable under most conditions.

It's definitely quieter than stock.

While the ride is definitely smoother with the Givi (less turbulence) I notice a lot of backwash that I didn't have with the stock windshield. At 70 mph, I literally feel like the wind is wrapping around me and gently pushing me forward. I actually feel it more on my back than I do my helmet. I haven't taken it on a long ride yet (mostly doing 75 mile / day commuting at the moment). But I don't think it will cause fatigue. It would be interesting to put the bike in a wind tunnel sometime to see what's actually happening.

I also have noticed a bit of a drop in gas mileage ... just over 1 mpg. Not sure if that's just my riding technique or the windshield or both, but I used to average around 45 mpg ... with the Givi I'm averaging around 43.7.

Anyway ... hope that helps someone who might be considering staying with stock or switching to Givi / Clearview.

·
Registered
939 Posts
First off the 405 sucks, I have used it a million times and no matter the time of day, traffic! Yes 80mph bumper to bumper can pucker the butt a bit.

Do you have any pictures? Looking for the same solver. I drive the 15-78 everyday about a hundred miles a day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts