Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new 2013 Burgman 650, love the bike but need taller windshield and one that is a little sturdier.
Has anyone installed a Clearview or Givi they are the only two I located on the web.
My main concern that this one is two short and very wobbly at heir speeds. But was looking for someone that has installed one and get some feedback.

Appreciate the Help.

·
Registered
585 Posts
About the first thing I modified on my 650 was to add the Clearview Large with vent. The vent is IMO a must. It allows additional air when it is hot - when it isn't I don't close it up. I shut it all but about an inch - this deflects air up and over my head. I wouldn't have added the large shield if I didn't have the exec model though. I like seeing over the top and not through it. I only raise it if its raining. I treat it with Rain Guard. Water runs off it very nicely.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I have a Clearview on my 2007, and think it's a great shield. The Clearview web site only lists 650 shields through the 2012 model year. (And they stopped making 400 screens after the 2006 model year).

I like the functionality of my Givi Airflow screen on my 400, but the quality of the plastic/acrylic/lexan is not as good as Clearview. But if Givi is the only choice, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

You may also want to check out 7Jurock, a California company that uses DOT approved military spec acrylic. I've read good things about them, but have never seen one of their shields.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hopefully, my Clearview XL with five way vent will arrive this week. The stock unit on my new '09 650 isn't much, and I've read mostly good stuff about Clearview.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have an XL tinted Clearview with a vent on my 09' 650 and like it a lot. I don't notice it flexing too much and the vent is very nice in hotter weather. I'm tall enough to look through it, or over the top when I prefer. I had a Givi on it before and although it was good too, I prefer the wind protection of the Clearview, plus the vent and tinting. The Givi was on it when I got the bike, so in all honesty, I'm not sure the two are comparable in size.

As an added note, the customer service I got from Clearview was excellent. I called them, got all the details on the shield and ordered it. At the time, I was told it would be a month or so before my shield would be shipped. However, I received emails about the manufacturing process and received the shield much quicker that I was told originally

·
Registered
133 Posts
I ordered a new windscreen from 7Jurock for my 400 and it is suppose to come on Tuesday. Will try to remember to report with a follow up post when I receive and install it. I ordered from this company based on previous posts I searched on this website.

·
Registered
426 Posts
All great replies, but the OP has the new L3. I have an L4 and likewise find the OEM standard shield on the newer model allows more around the sides of the screen as it is not as wide across at the base. The narrower front profile of the new models also allows for more air which for me whips in round the knees. Consequently, I'm also considering a new aftemarket screen. The aftermarket screens for the K series and L1/L2 model 650's is likely different in terms of mounting points to the L3+ models. In terms of ergonomics though, it's likely they will be similar although such things are all very subjective and speculative.

So anyone with a L3+ care to chime in...

YMMV.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I checked with Clearview about a month ago. They expect to have a 2013 version available soon. Let us know if you get anything different from them. I'm ready to order one as soon as I can get it.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I have a GIVI on my 2013 and pleased with it. I do not think Clearview has one for the +13s yet.
I just got a new 2013 Burgman 650, love the bike but need taller windshield and one that is a little sturdier.
Has anyone installed a Clearview or Givi they are the only two I located on the web.
My main concern that this one is two short and very wobbly at heir speeds. But was looking for someone that has installed one and get some feedback.

Appreciate the Help.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. I think I will end with a Givi, I know the brand.
How is your windshield at higher speeds?
My factory windshield is thin and gets wobbly even at 50, I also need one that I can see clearly though it without distortion. Love the bike but they could have improved on the windshield.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
It does not move around at high speeds and does not have any distortion in the upper part of the WS.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Having had both a GIVI and now a Clearview, I would wait and get a Clearview. It is thicker and you can use RainX on it. Best Windshield I have ever had.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Having had both a GIVI and now a Clearview, I would wait and get a Clearview. It is thicker and you can use RainX on it. Best Windshield I have ever had.
OP, I agree with this. Great shield, very good customer service BUT in the past they have over-promised on new products (e.g. 2007+ Burg400 shields). I'd call them to get a realistic timeframe for the 2013 shield. You can then decide if it's worth the wait.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I spoke to Givi and got part number, then found one for $179.00 w/ free shipping.
I think that is the one I'm purchasing.
Clearview said they are working on one but don't know how long.
At this time seems that Givi is the only choice for 2013-2014 Burgman 650

·
Registered
35 Posts
Joe,
I have a Clearview xxl on my 03 650 and it works very well. Mine is vented and I agree with previous entries, it is WELL worth the cost!
Have done a lot of highway driving 70-90 mph and no worries on it's sturdiness.
Also a quick note, I am 6'3" and added foot pegs that allow for a much more comfortable ride. Best addition I made to my 650. Just some food for thought.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Ermax windscreen might be an option for 650

The original screens are the same dimensions as OEM. The tall screens are about
15cm taller than stock and are generally wider for more wind protection. The
sport screen is smaller than the original screen on your bike offering less wind
protection and is more slanted. It is about 10cm shorter than stock.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
I installed a ClearView XXL, but last summer it finally cracked and became unusable, so I went back to an OEM windshield. The ClearView (with Goldwing Vent) lasted, from fall of 2009 AZ) to Summer 2013 (OH). It cracked, I surmise, due to the excessive height that strained the mounting bolt holes. I will get another one, they don't make the XXL) and it will prob be an XL.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I emailed Clearview last month asking when production for the 2013-2014 screens would begin. I was told 3-4 weeks. It just hit the 4th week. Hopefully soon. :rolleyes: I have a trip coming up next month, and a new windshield would be nice. :cool:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm 6'4, and very tall in the saddle and I went with the Givi. I shimmed it forward as I still was getting a little buffeting on the top of my helmet.

Love the Givi, stiff enough, and with it shimmed as upright as I could get it it is extremely good at blocking the wind.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
BTW - Clearview will custom build screens to your needs - personally I think the Clearview is the better build - I don't like the heavy recurve and the rounded top
( I've owned both and took the Givi off after a week and put the stock back on while I waited for the blem Clearview which more than met my expectations tho a bit trickier to mount as it's stiffer.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts