Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just boughr a new 04 Burgman and was mystified by a loud whistling noise. I discovered it was coming from the wind shield area.
Has anyone had a problem with wind whistle caused by the stock wind shield? Between 30 and 50 mph the wind shield whistles loudly. I can pull the top of it back and it stops.
Can the wind shield be adjusted or moved around a little?
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
355 Posts
No whistle with the OEM stock windscreen for me. A slight subtle whistle on my new Clearview somewhere between 35-45 mph, but that is about it. I wil post a review for the lg Clearview with vent later this week.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
tripletango said:
I just boughr a new 04 Burgman and was mystified by a loud whistling noise. I discovered it was coming from the wind shield area.
Has anyone had a problem with wind whistle caused by the stock wind shield? Between 30 and 50 mph the wind shield whistles loudly. I can pull the top of it back and it stops.
Can the wind shield be adjusted or moved around a little?
Any suggestions?
Yes you can shim the top shield mount outward a bit. I give instructions on how I did it within this thread. I have since used hose washers in place of the metal ones - a bit thicker, and they increased the angle a bit more.

At one point I had bought some 1 1/4# foam air conditioner weatherstrip at the hardware store, cut a piece to the right length, and stuffed it into the space at the bottom of the windscreen. (This was before I shimmed the mount.) This will block off that lower vent where the whistle is probably coming from - and it keeps the top of the dash a lot cleaner too. The possible side effect is a bit more backdraft effect from the windscreen, but I did not find that to be a problem with the stock screen. If you go to a larger screen backdraft could be an issue. But this is cheap enough fix to try, and it may be all you need to do.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums tripletango. The only whistle noise I've heard is when wearing a helmet with front vents. The air from the stock windshield was hitting the vent at just the right angle to cause a whistle effect. Glad to have you join the forums.

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
I had the whistle with the OEM, with the GIVI I also had it. Found some of the padding in the brakets was off a bit, it takes a little putzing with, but can be corrected. Then I took it off to do a real good cleaning and it came back. Took it off again and realigned the pads and it went away. I think it comes from the extra holes in the windshield itself.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have some whistling at the same speed range: 30-50 mph. But mine hasn't been bad enough to motivate me to do anything about it.

(Let's see. I just finished paying the bills, mowing the lawn, and putting a new end on the garden hose. I have 1/2 hour spare. Do I spend it riding? Or do I spend it in the garage trying to find a whistle that doesn't bother me that much? <pauses for one nanosecond> Time to go riding!)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Triple Tango

Welcome to the forum! :hello2:

Hope you resolve the whistling problem, you may find that if you take it off and remount it, the problem will be resolved. The screens are fitted by the dealer prior to delivery - it may not be fitted correctly. :shock:

Twenty minute job and easier with a helper.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Uhm thats a real conundrum,

I would start wearing ear plugs all the time if it really bothers you. Placing spacers and changing the angles of the windshield sounds excessive. Maybe even trying a different helmet. I know how annoying these small sounds maybe because I noticed a small thumping sound with my 400 and wondered if there was something loose in the front. With all the plastic panels and compartments I found the source. An item I left inside the glove compartment (roll of reflective tape) was banging inside...enough to drive me crazy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I believe that with a little fiddling it will be corrected.
Richard

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have the same whistling that starts at 40mph, goes until 44mph then stops... Then on the way back down, it starts at 46mph, and stops at 38mph.

I'm deaf in one ear, and can't hear out of the other one, so I haven't been able to locate it. (kinda like trying to locate a cricket) I have shimmed the upper side of the windshield with rubber hose, and have removed and reinstalled the window many times... It's not all that bad, and sorta acts as a check valve when I'm on roads with a 40mph limit. :D

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Kias said:
I have the same whistling that starts at 40mph, goes until 44mph then stops... Then on the way back down, it starts at 46mph, and stops at 38mph.

I'm deaf in one ear, and can't hear out of the other one, so I haven't been able to locate it.[snipped]
Kias - old chum - I have no wish to make light of this, but does this not mean you are totally deaf?:scratch:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too had the whistle from my windshield at about the same speeds. It really got on my nerves. The dealer said it was normal for windshields. Funny they always seem to say that when asked to deal with something. Anyway, I also pushed some foam rubber strips between the shield and dash and the sound went away. I have over 1000mi. on her in less than 3 weeks. I LOVE this bike. My poor V-rod has been sitting lonely in the garage! My wife and I love these scooters( she has a Burger 400). She has a Sportster that now also spents most of it's life in the garage.
Bill

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
NormanB said:
Kias said:
...I'm deaf in one ear, and can't hear out of the other one, so I haven't been able to locate it.[snipped]
Kias - old chum - I have no wish to make light of this, but does this not mean you are totally deaf?:scratch:
It's hyperbole, Norman; tongue in cheek American humor.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Brian said:
It's hyperbole, Norman; tongue in cheek American humor.
Actually, I am deaf in one ear, and can't hear out of the other one. Luckily there's varying levels of deafness, and I can still make out what people say, so long as it's not in a noisy environment. Tinnitus in one ear from acoustic trauma years ago based on the noise of a launching Tomahawk Missle. High-frequency sensorineural hearing loss in the other from a bit too much classical jazz from such bands as Metallica. :D

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Kias said:
Actually, I am deaf in one ear, and can't hear out of the other one. Luckily there's varying levels of deafness, and I can still make out what people say, so long as it's not in a noisy environment. Tinnitus in one ear from acoustic trauma years ago based on the noise of a launching Tomahawk Missle. High-frequency sensorineural hearing loss in the other from a bit too much classical jazz from such bands as Metallica. :D
Hi Kias, OK - I understand now thanks.
So can you tell me more about the trauma incident (PM if you wish).
The effect of rock music/disco/concerts has probably touched us all in the old cranium fin department. :wink:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Kias said:
...a bit too much classical jazz from such bands as Metallica. :D
When I was at Disneyland last month there was a young man names Scott Wilson there playing the hammered dulcimer. He was doing all the usual medaeval Celtic songs and some newer English folk songs: A Soulin', Greensleeves, Scarborough Faire, etc.

Then he started playing one that was familiar but I couldn't quite place it...until he got to the bridge: Nothin' Else Matters by Metallica!

It actually sounds pretty good played as if it were written in 1591 instead of 1991. 8)

(I bought the CD.)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
NormanB said:
The effect of rock music/disco/concerts has probably touched us all in the old cranium fin department. :wink:
Ummm... But how about today's kids riding around with the sub-woofers in their vehicles? One was parked in the driveway across the street yesterday, and the windows in my house were rattling!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Windshield whistle fix

I have had the shield off a dozen times. Nothing worked including a half assed shot (on my part!) at shimming.
The suggestion of a piece of sponge under the shield works, wedge a small piece behind the S on the black support piece and the body of the bike and the whistle goes away.
In retro I reckon it is the small locating hole at the bottom of the black support piece that causes the problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts