Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be cross posted. (I have posted it here)

Charles and myself met at Delray Beach Florida this morning which was the half way point for the both of us, Charles coming from the South (Coral Gables area) and myself from the North (Port St. Lucie area).
Here is what we have road tested, observed, tried out, what every you want to call it. This was not a scientific measure by any stretch. This was seat-of-the-pants method which most of us can relate to.

Charles plans to write his review too.

1. Bicycle shorts for comfort on long ride (160 miles) (me wearing them)
2. Utopia drivers backrest. (On Dennis' scooter)
3. Throttle Boss (Throttle Rocker) (On Charles' scooter)
4. Vista Cruise Throttle lock (Cruise control) (On Dennis')
5. Kriss front and rear lights modulators. (On Charles')
6. The Givi Windshield (Dennis') VS. The Clear View (Charles') XXL Tinted and Vented.
Photos are posted at:
Windshield Shoot Out Photos on Yahoo Groups

These are my opinions (Dennis)

Bicycle shorts for comfort, I usually can ride for about 30 miles before I have to start squirming on my seat, with the bicycle shorts under my jeans (sorry no photos available) I noticed I rode 60 miles before any minor discomfort. Riding in Florida, I wouldn't wear them often in the Florida summer on my scooter.

Utopia drivers backrest, What pleasure!

Throttle Boss, nice to have if you don't have a throttle lock, but I prefer a throttle lock.

Vista Cruise Throttle lock I just installed this last night, I still need to adjust it some more but it's been a pleasure on todays open road.

Kriss front and rear lights modulators Riding through Delray Beach and Palm Beach this morning, some motorists to the front of the scooter take notice of the modulating head lights, so much so that a senior citizen turned and pulled over his Mercedes S500 expecting a ticket. Try not to abuse this feature ;-) The rear modulators do look cool the way they cycle when brakes are applied and get attention.

The Givi Windshield (Dennis') VS. The Clear View (Charles') XXL Tinted and Vented This is the moment we all been waiting for, simply put the Clear View (CV) windshield won. If you look at the web site I provided, you can see the photos taken this morning. Riding behind the CV windshield was very pleasurable, I prefer to look through the windshield not over one. The clarity was excellent, the tint just right. The vent beyond 12" you won't feel in the summer heat at riding speed, but I still like to have one, it may reduce back pressure but I haven't had a problem with back pressure from either windshield probably because of my weight (225 lbs - 32" inseam - 5'11")

Much less wind buffering at all speeds than the Givi, we rode from 30 MPH to 75 MPH indicated for several miles on I-95 temperature was in the low 90's. I noticed a slight (faint) whistling sound above 45 MPH on the CV and a welcome stream of gentle air going up my arms. This will be my next windshield unless the new Suzuki OEM tall windshield can perform better (still not available in the USA). And of course the original (standard) OEM windshield provided by Suzuki for jockeys and folks that live off the "yellow brick road"will not get an honorable mention here.

Dennis
Port St. Lucie, FL. USA.
Burgman AN650 '

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Dennis,

The above link to the photos requires you signup for the yahoo groups. It woul be nioe if you could repost the photos in the BurgmanUSA gallery for those of us that do not want to signup to yahoo groups.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My commnets:

Utopia driver’s backrest. (On Dennis' scooter)
I enjoyed the backrest when riding Dennis’s bike. It sometimes felt a little strange with the built in spine pad of my Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket. I also needed to lean back further then I wanted but I know I can adjust the backrest to better suit my needs.) At $200, the backrest is pricey and if it weren’t for the installation process, I’d order it right away. For me I may wait to see if Corbin designs a better seat for the 650 before making this investment.

Vista Cruise Throttle lock (Cruise control) (On Dennis')
I did not test the functionality of this item. I’m not sure if Dennis was completely done with installation, but I found the throttle to be tighter than normal and I felt my hand touching the side of the lock as there was less clearance there.

The Givi Windshield (Dennis') VS. The Clear View (Charles') XXL Tinted and Vented.
I agree with Dennis’s comments.

Passenger backtest
I think the Givi passenger backrest provides better support than the OEM product. It is also less expensive as well.

·
Registered
728 Posts
OK, I have a question for your "shoot out" guys. Seeing as both of you rode each others bikes, with the two different wind shields, did both of them have alot of backlash wind? By that I mean, did you notice alot of wind coming up behind you, your back? your neck?
last night I got a chance to ride a 2004 650 with a Givi windshield. I noticed that it vibrated a wee bit, not a big deal, but I also noticed I was getting alot of cool air blowing around the back of my neck.
Do you get this with the clear view?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
wilder days said:
OK, I have a question for your "shoot out" guys. Seeing as both of you rode each others bikes, with the two different wind shields, did both of them have alot of backlash wind? By that I mean, did you notice alot of wind coming up behind you, your back? your neck?
last night I got a chance to ride a 2004 650 with a Givi windshield. I noticed that it vibrated a wee bit, not a big deal, but I also noticed I was getting alot of cool air blowing around the back of my neck.
Do you get this with the clear view?
I'm not one of the "shootout guys", but I have tried the Givi and several different size Clearviews on my 650. In my experience, the Givi had the most backdraft effect. The Clearviews varied. The large XXL had some backdraft effect, the smaller sizes had almost none.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I rode with the GIVI, I did not notice anything, although it was only for a few miles at highway speeds and I was focused on the feel of the driver's backrest. I was actually leaning back to test it out, so didn't notice anything.

On my bike with the clearview XXL, I also didn’t notice any back draft. I’m not saying it not there, but I didn’t notice any.
Charles

·
Registered
728 Posts
when I rode the burgman last night, I really enoyed not feeling the wind in my face and chilling my hands. Now, from the shoot out pics, I noticed that the clearview looks a bit taller and wider then the Givi. Is that true? The height of the Givi was enough for me, what i'd be interrested in is the width.
btw, on the 650 I rode with the Givi shield, I paid attention to the amount of gap between the shield and the turn signals. There was about 1/4 -1/2" of space.
does the clearview move/vibrate slightly like the givi does?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Certainly taller and the top is squared rather than the rounded top of the GIVI.

The clearview does flex a little but has adequate clearance from the mirrors.

It does come very close to the brake lever when the bars are turned all the way. It actually hits my hand when I have the front brake on and have turned the bar all the way to the left.

·
Registered
728 Posts
taller, yes, but is it wider then the givi? If so, about how much wider?
I'm gathering info for when I'm ready to get a new one...so I'll order these things when I go for the burgman.
thanks for all your imput.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dennis took those measurements, so I don't have that answer. Looks like he is offline due to the hurricane. I'll attempt to get this info when he resurfaces.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts