Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Burgman 650 who's name is Frankenberg...
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit a small branch/large twig that blew off a tree while riding yesterday. Left two 1" shallow scratches in my plexiglass windshield. Is there anything out there to remove the scratches? It really won't inhibit my vision but it'll drive me nuts seeing it every time I ride.

·
Premium Member
3,928 Posts
First I’d try cleaning it with Lemon Pledge Furniture Polish ....it may not be as bad as it looks.
If it still bothers you try using some tooth paste on your finger and then clean again with Pledge.

Reactions: kwajman and Dave_J

·
Administrator
20,594 Posts
Most modern tooth pastes are like very fine rubbing compound. If the scratches are light marring, this may work. But if deeper then some heaver compound can be used first and then lighter compound to clean up the surface.

Start in the most scratched area first, you can't mess it up much worse. Do small areas. Fingertips work. Just very SMALL circles.

I have some 'Headlight Restore' rubbing compound for plastic headlights. I have used it on my Vetter Windjammer shield a few times. I used a soft polishing sponge and slowly worked the scratch. Then I did some plastic polish, rinse well then clean up with Lemon Pledge.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Premium Member
13,042 Posts
be advised , rubbing/ buff out a scratch will create a visual difference, a different focus, like bad glasses just in that spot. you don't like the scratch because it is not "right " will an out of focus spot be any better? My suggestions, learn to live with it, replace the windscreen, or camo it with a bumper sticker or farkle that you can accept and try to forget there is a blemish under the camoflauge (you won't be able to )
We did lotsa plexiglass polishing for optics, to blend out a out of focus area after blending out a scratch, you have to polish a huge huge area very precisely (think hubble telescope mirror)

·
Registered
574 Posts
I CANNOT GUARANTEE that what i'm about to say is valid for you, so decide yourself:

i don't know what is your windshield: my GIVI one is made from a plastic that "cures" itself (a little) when heated: is a very risky procedure but i removed a single but deep scratch (not a crack) that was right in front of my pupils using a heat-gun set at 400° and slooooooooowly heating a bit all the surface around it and then fast on the scratch (the reasoning was to avoid to crack the windshield and to avoid to bend it, so the rear side needs to still be rigid while the front "cures").

I tried the same procedure with an original Burgman 400 windshield and it literally fried: lot of bubbles and ended with a very rough spot.

I also believe that there's a UV protection on windshield, and once you polish the surface the protection is gone and the plastic will start to become yellow in the years.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, gives me something to work on before the route 66 trip.

·
Premium Member
13,042 Posts
If you're gonna polish it out, it will take more time than winnin an argument with swmbo, (40 years an countin!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hit a small branch/large twig that blew off a tree while riding yesterday. Left two 1" shallow scratches in my plexiglass windshield. Is there anything out there to remove the scratches? It really won't inhibit my vision but it'll drive me nuts seeing it every time I ride.
I use mcquires headlight restorer.just did one yesterday, comes out great. I use a buffing pad on a drill or electric buffer. Yesterday I did a 12 year old Honda and it came out great. After I cleaned up the scratches, finished with Plexus plastic cleaner and protectant that I picked up in Daytona last week. It’s the first time I have used this product and it works great.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're gonna polish it out, it will take more time than winnin an argument with swmbo, (40 years an countin!)
Probably why I'm divorced, I preferred to discuss and she preferred to dictate to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts