Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a new burgman 400. My last scooter, (my only other bike), was a honda helix. What I want to know is it nessesary to change the original windshild to a different style (such as givi or clearview), and if so what brand is the best?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi there sir sam. You said your getting a 400 so is it safe to say you havent gotten it yet? Wait untill you recieve it and after riding it for a bit you would be able to better evaluate if you require an aftermarket windscreen or not. From the posts that I've seen , it seems to me that if your under 6 ft tall than the stock screen seems adequate. If your taller than 6 ft, thats when you start to experience the wind buffetting. Good luck and happy riding!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Sir Sam, I own the 400 and I installed the Givi tall windshield, it offers great wind and bug protection as I am completely behind the shield, I am about 5 8.The only draw back is I lost 8mph on the top end and about 5mpg. The added bonus is that it covers your hands. Hope this helps you..

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Your drop in top speed and mpg is quite large. My riding friend has a GIVI and he did not experience that large of a drop in mpg. He does not ride over 85mph, so I do not know about the top speed. Do you ride at high speeds a lot?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Roy, The speed I posted was right after the 800 mile service and the day was kind of windy. I have not topped it out since. I now have 3500 miles on the clock, probably this spring I will see if there is any change, but the fuel mileage is consistent at 65 mpg.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
After 440 miles in the cold, I am going to get a GIVI. I am 5' 11" with a inseam of 30". I will put the stock w/s back on in the spring to see if it pushes the wind and bugs high enough to be useful. A friend let me use a pair of hand guards yesterday for my ride back home. They kept my hands from getting cold, but seemed to increase the wind noise.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Hi Roy, The speed I posted was right after the 800 mile service and the day was kind of windy. I have not topped it out since. I now have 3500 miles on the clock, probably this spring I will see if there is any change, but the fuel mileage is consistent at 65 mpg.
After two tanks, I am getting in the low 70's. But it is do to the low RPMs I am riding for the break in period. I am going to put on a GIVI soon so I will not be able to make a good comparison of with or without the GIVI. 65 mpg sounds good enough for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts