Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Windshield fogging

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  wasions 
#1 ·
OK, here's a newbie question I'm hoping you experienced riders from cooler climes will answer.

It's been a rather unusual November here in upstate New York. We've had warmer-than-normal weather, and so far no substantial snow. I'd sure LIKE to be riding my 400 back & forth to work on the warmest days, but I've encountered a scary problem in the cool morning air.

When the temp drops below about 50 degrees Farenheit, the wind screen on my 400 fogs up. Enough water condenses on the screen to thoroughly obscure my vision, but not enough to bead up and roll off, even with a good coating of Pledge. I have a Givi Clearview and am only 5' 7", and therefore stand no chance of seeing over the top of or around the wind screen when this happens. It's frightening and dangerous as hell.

What can I do to combat this problem? I'd bow my head to fate and put my Burgman up until Spring, except there's a woman I see riding a Harley every dry morning up the NYS Thruway, and HER screen isn't fogged!

Thanks as always,
Chris

#3 ·
Something does not compute -- A windshield will not fog up ,unless there is a temp. difference (like when you first come out of a garage), The outside temp. in not a factor so I think your fighting fog (moist) air. In which case maybe Rain-X will help, But I don't thing there is a lot you can do about it.

#6 ·
Mine is normally garaged, but it doesn't seem to make much difference. When riding in cool but humid weather, not only the windshield, but my faceshield and glasses all fog up. Rain-X makes little to no difference. And if the weather's foggy, I might as well drive the car, because I ain't gonna see nothin'! (Uhm, we don't have any grammer teachers on this site, do we?) I once had a bottle of windshield anti-fog (another Rain-X product) which made moisture sheet, rather than bead, but for the life of me, I can't find it. :oops:

#7 ·
ChrisLucey said:
OK, here's a newbie question I'm hoping you experienced riders from cooler climes will answer.
That's one of the reasons that I never ride with a shield that I have to look through. If it's too tall to see over comfortably, get a different shield or get it cut down. I occasionally do have a problem with my glasses fogging and it's a real tough thing to deal with. I sometimes have to pull my glasses down far enough to see over them. When it gets that bad, I try to get off the road as quickly as I can.

#8 ·
Like Wes said, ideally you want to be able to just look over the shield while seated and be able to see the road suface a short distance in front of your bike. That eliminates the problem of having to look through a fogged-over shield or through rain drops. If that's not possible, the best you can do is keep the shield waxed to keep the rain drops rolling off while you're moving.
It's been my experience that the inside of the shield (side towards the rider) fogs up very quickly during certain damp weather conditions and is impossible to see through. For those situations, I carry a soft cloth or a small piece of chamois in the glove compartment, where I can get to it easily while moving, to wipe the shield (and mirrors) enough to see through.
Don

#10 ·
ChrisLucey said:
Thanks, everyone, for your replies. Guess I'll have to put my stock windscreen back on if I want to keep riding in this weather.

Best regards,
Chris
Hi Chris.

You don't need to replace your windshield! Use your fingers to rub a few drops of dishwashing detergent on both sides of your windshield then buff it dry with a soft cotton cloth. Do the same to your helmet shield and your eyeglasses if you wear them. Problem solved!

#11 ·
BobG said:
Use your fingers to rub a few drops of dishwashing detergent on both sides of your windshield then buff it dry with a soft cotton cloth. Do the same to your helmet shield and your eyeglasses if you wear them. Problem solved!
Cool!! I'll definitely have to try that. How long does that treatment last?

#12 ·
BobG said:
You don't need to replace your windshield! Use your fingers to rub a few drops of dishwashing detergent on both sides of your windshield then buff it dry with a soft cotton cloth. Do the same to your helmet shield and your eyeglasses if you wear them. Problem solved!
Yeah, but then you have to fight all of those suds every time it rains! :wink:

#13 ·
chuck807 said:
BobG said:
Use your fingers to rub a few drops of dishwashing detergent on both sides of your windshield then buff it dry with a soft cotton cloth. Do the same to your helmet shield and your eyeglasses if you wear them. Problem solved!
Cool!! I'll definitely have to try that. How long does that treatment last?
I've been using it on my helmet shield and find it lasts about a week. YMMV

#14 ·
DonRich90 said:
BobG said:
Yeah, but then you have to fight all of those suds every time it rains! :wink:
No problem Don! Just take your clothes off and give yourself a quick bath. :lol: :toothy7:

#19 ·
BobG said:
No problem Don! Just take your clothes off and give yourself a quick bath. :lol: :toothy7:
Ergo, the thong. 8) (What? You thought I was kidding?) :shock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.